2nd adjustment with two problems

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

katmc_tx

2nd adjustment with two problems

#1 Post by katmc_tx »

I just had my 2nd adjustment this last Saturday and it went well but now a few days later I have a couple of things bothering me. First I got a power chain put on my four front teeth, a new wire on top and bottom.

Before the power chain my two front teeth were very straight and my bite was comfortable but now my right front tooth is slightly off and I can feel my bottom right tooth rub that top one when I bite down.

Second now when I bite down my top left molar is resting on the band of my bottom left molar, which needless to say is painful as the band is digging into my gum.

So my question is should a wait for a few weeks to see if these problems correct themselves as my bite adjusts to the new equipment or are these problems going to continue?
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

smilezofmetal2

#2 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

Well you are not done your treatment so your teeth are going to go through so many different postions some which are very uncomfortable and some which are comfortable...I think you should stick it out because I'm sure your ortho knows what they are doing and in time your bite will be comfortable...but I've been through that and when I chewed I would bite my cheek it was horrible...but eventually the bite was corrected.HTH

katmc_tx

#3 Post by katmc_tx »

Thanks for the feedback, it helps to hear advice from people going through the same process. :D

phanta

#4 Post by phanta »

I, too, have some uncomfortable stages. As long as my teeth don't get ground down by opposing brackets or teeth, I just deal with it.

When my upper canines started chipping against my lower brackets though, I went in for an emergency appointment. So watch for any damage to the teeth in these transient stages.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

If your tooth is hitting the bracked below it, you need to see your ortho right away. You're in danger of chipping a tooth, popping a bracket, or both. Your ortho will WANT you to come in ASAP.

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

I think I am having similiar problems as you. At my 4th adjustment a couple of days ago I got a power chain on my top 4 front teeth. I also got some springs taken out and some teeth now have wire ties on them. My problem is now my bite is really off. I can't bite down easily, my molars don't touch where they used to touch. The top front teeth are slightly touching the bottom teeth and it feels weird. They are just all wonky. I am going to assume this is normal and that it will improve.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

katmc_tx

#7 Post by katmc_tx »

Thanks everyone for your insight to my situation. I had to go in for an emergency appt this past Saturday because my wire was sticking out from the back and poking at my cheek.

So I told the tech about my concerns and she was able to explain what was going on. She said that because of the spring I had to make room for a wayward tooth, the spring was pushing my two front teeth forward. But she told me my top front teeth were not hitting my bottom brackets.

And as far as my bottom molar, it had rotated with the new wire that had been placed which is why my bite is really off. She said that nothing is going to be "normal" again until we reach the end point. :roll:

She also said of course if you are ever in pain do not hesitate to come in but your bite will be moving so much after and during each adjustment that it is okay for it to feel wonky. :huh:

After that emergency appt I felt better about the crazy positioning that is going on inside my mouth. So again thanks for everyone’s support and advice.
:D