bruised lips

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

presencia

bruised lips

#1 Post by presencia »

I am about 3 months into my orthodontic treatment and have encountered something I have not seen mentioned on the board here. Has anyone ever noticed bruising on their lips? I have developed two bruises on my bottom lip, at least I think that is what they are. It does not appear to be discoloration. They are there all the time and do not go away.

Possibly this is from my lips rubbing the brackets? I really don't know.

I have ceramic upper and lower. I think the ceramic brackets are a bit bigger than the metal ones, so maybe this is a factor. I also have a nance, which is coming out June 23-hooray!

I can ask about this at my next visit, but wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

50+ year young grandma
clarity upper and lower, anticipating 18-24 mos

Every day is a gift of life to be cherished!

tkais

#2 Post by tkais »

I have what appears to be a bruise in my top lip and it lines up with the hook on my bracket. I assume it is from constantly hitting my braces when I smile and talk.

presencia

#3 Post by presencia »

Thanks, Lucy and tkais!

I apppreciate your responses! To realize others are going thru the same things makes the whole experience a little less dramatic for me. (or should I say "traumatic")

Lucy, I have also had a few of those little red spots you mentioned, and they do seem to be from biting my inner cheeks. When I first saw one, I scraped and scraped at it, thinking it was a bit of food stuck in my mouth. Finally, I realized it was not coming out! I was gone in a day or so, so no worries there.

Tkais, I looked at my lip spots again, and they do seem to line up directly with brackets. I will still ask about them, but it seems likely to be just bruising.

I knew I would have a few things to deal with having braces, but really, I did not expect all this drama so soon: bleeding tongue, a tooth extraction after bracing, cheek blisters, loose teeth, finding out I have tongue thrust, a nasty nance(ugh), now bruised lips! All in 3 months time! I guess no pain, no gain applies here! That is why I really appreciate this board. And the reminders of why we are doing this. And that it is all temporary.

I have yet to encounter rubber bands.........

50+ year young grandma
clarity upper and lower, anticipating 18-24 mos

Every day is a gift of life to be cherished!