I beat the system

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tofino

I beat the system

#1 Post by tofino »

Hi.

I am coming up to my 12th adjustment (i.e. one year), and I think I finally beat the system. I think I've got it all figured out.

For the first time I tried clear ligs, and I was very pleased with how 'braceless' I looked with my ceramic uppers. That is, until I ate Shahi Paneer (a vegetarian Indian dish similar to butter chicken - PM me for a great recipe), which turned the ligs yellow. When I picked up my daughter from school, one of her friends walked up to me and said, "You have yellow teeth". I went into action and picked up Tom's of Maine Natural Baking Soda toothpaste (about $4.99 Canadian), Colgate's MicroSonic Toothbrush (20 000 strokes per minute, AA battery included, $4.98 Canadian!!), and the really cool purchase, the Waterpick flossing tool, which does GREAT FLOSSING WITH NO THREADERS, NO SUPERFLOSS, NO B.S., it's so easy! (about $9.00 Canadian, includes built-in battery, and 10 replacement tips). I finish with the waterpick and Oral-B anti-cavity rinse (with fluoride).

After I was done my ligs were next to white, my mouth tingled, and I was smug.

I hope this information helps somebody.

Cheers

Glen

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

Or you could skip all that and go with metal braces.

// Had to be said

- Missing Tooth -

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#3 Post by nahky »

missing_tooth wrote:Or you could skip all that and go with metal braces.

// Had to be said

- Missing Tooth -
Probbaly easier if she used tire-wires, since she already has ceramic braces
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

tofino

Nope

#4 Post by tofino »

Hi.

I erred in not explaining that in fact I have powerchains, not ligs, stretching across my teeth, so tie-wires are not an option.

I'm glad that I don't have metal uppers - strictly my opinion, but I don't care for them at all.

I think the Waterpik flossing tool was my best discovery. I now floss faster than before I was braced.

Cheers

Glen

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Does that Waterpik flossing tool get in between very tight spaces?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

tofino

Tight Spaces

#6 Post by tofino »

Hi.

My Waterpik flossing tool (not the correct name - sorry, I threw away the packaging) handles all of my teeth boundaries, and it is flexible enough to probe into that pesky gap between 2nd molar and the rear of the mouth (or 3rd molar for some of us). The replacement tips snap right in and out and, like I mentioned previously, it is very fast work. I am a refugee from floss threaders, which I threw in the garbage after a few days, and from Superfloss, which I abandoned after my latest find.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Glen

McGinley

#7 Post by McGinley »

missing_tooth wrote:Or you could skip all that and go with metal braces.

// Had to be said

- Missing Tooth -
Yeah! I have metal ones and I don't have those troubles!
Braces on: 1st December 2004
Estimated sentence: 18months
Feeling: Achey.

Lyn

#8 Post by Lyn »

KKThe topic has been brought up several times about using whitening toothpastes. You have found success with the one you mention? Seems like a good alternative.
I found Colgate toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide fixed the colour change for me. It took a couple of days of concentrated brushing ... but the fluro yellow disappeared ... which was brilliant!
I still have the clear ligs with my ceramics - almost a year now.....haven't had enough nerve to try color!!
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7