Headgear Fears

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennandtonic

Headgear Fears

#1 Post by jennandtonic »

Today at my adjustment, I heard the ortho assistant and my orthodontist say that I had no need for headgear......yet.

My ortho never mentioned that I might have to wear headgear at my consultation, I might have asked for other options had I known this!

I asked about having to wear headgear and they laughed it off, joking about just having to wear it at night, but I have no idea if they were serious or not. I just sort of laughed it off too and didn't pursue it further even though I wanted to.

I don't know what to do; I don't want to wear headgear, I'm not even sure what it's for. Should I have pursued it further?

I just wish I had known when I started out that this may happen. I am planning on telling my ortho a flat out no if she wants me to wear headgear 24 hours a day. I am quite happy with the treatment she has given me so far, but am pissed that this was sprung on me without previous warning.

Sorry guys, I just had to vent about this.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Fair enough, vent away.

But rather than have it fester until your next appointment, why don't you ask your ortho now if headgear is part of your treatment and why and, if you don't wish to go down this path, what are the alternatives?

jennandtonic

#3 Post by jennandtonic »

KK said:

Also if you only had to wear it at night ... and not our publicly ... then that would be loads better, but I still think it's kinda strange that ...
I heard the ortho assistant and my orthodontist say that I had no need for headgear......yet.
... coz why say that within your hearing and not explain what they're talking about?
That's exactly what I am upset about. If I only had to wear it at night, that's fine, but if she didn't tell me about the headgear during the inital consultation, what else isn't she telling me? And I know that I'm young, but I'm still older than a lot of her patients and I am very interested in what goes on during my treatment. I'm the one paying for it, you know! So I really don't appreciate this being sprung on me. Had I known, I may have gone for a second opinion somewhere else!

KK said:
How about you phone your ortho's office and ask to speak to him. Explain how their comments about headgear have upset you and you need to know whether it's planned for your future and why! I think if you do this and you get some straight answers, it will get rid of the 'niggling worry' that will be surrounding you till your next appointment!
Lionfish said:
But rather than have it fester until your next appointment, why don't you ask your ortho now if headgear is part of your treatment and why and, if you don't wish to go down this path, what are the alternatives?
Thank you for the suggestion, both of you. I'm going to carve out some time today to call and ask if that will be necessary. Like I said, if I have to wear it to bed that's one thing, but if she's wanting me to wear it upwards of 12 hours a day I won't do that.

And maybe they were joking. I am positive they were teasing me when I asked about having to wear it, but before that they sounded serious. Maybe not, but I intend to ask.

HeadgearJoe

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

thought id check in with you, an see if you was able to find out anything from your orthodontist, if you was going to be fitted for Headgear , (headgearjoe)
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

jennandtonic

#5 Post by jennandtonic »

HeadgearJoe wrote:thought id check in with you, an see if you was able to find out anything from your orthodontist, if you was going to be fitted for Headgear , (headgearjoe)
I'm going to wait until my next adjustment appointment (June 12th) to ask. I figure over the phone my thoughts would be far less organized, so I may as well wait until my appointment so I can have time to prepare a list of questions to ask.

Thank you for checking back in! :D

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

It's entirely possible that your ortho didn't mention headgear at the outset of treatment because ther was no way to know that early whether or not you'd need it.

You mentioned you don't know what it is that headgear would be used for in your case. Before you make up your mind that you won't wear it, don't you think you should ask your orth to explain why and for how long you might need it? Don't refuse to do something before you have your facts straight. You could end up shooting yourself in the foot.

jennandtonic

#7 Post by jennandtonic »

ingyandbert said:
It's entirely possible that your ortho didn't mention headgear at the outset of treatment because ther was no way to know that early whether or not you'd need it.

You mentioned you don't know what it is that headgear would be used for in your case. Before you make up your mind that you won't wear it, don't you think you should ask your orth to explain why and for how long you might need it? Don't refuse to do something before you have your facts straight. You could end up shooting yourself in the foot.
Well, I'm not going to entirely refuse to wear it. Wearing it at night is fine, but it won't be possible for me to wear it during the day while at work; I do work that doesn't even allow for earrings that dangle, much less something connected to my face, like headgear.

I do think that many orthodontists can tell whether there is a possibility for headgear based on what they plan to do, especially this early in my treatment. (almost four months in)
Upon reading about the uses of headgear, one is to keep teeth behind extraction spaces from moving forward when front teeth are being retracted, which is something my ortho is doing with my teeth.

She told me on the initial consultation that I would need the extractions, and she could have mentioned that headgear would be a possibility, especially based on the fact that she knew my front teeth would need to be retracted to fill the extraction spaces. That is a perfect opportunity to say that headgear is used for that and I may need it.

fins

#8 Post by fins »

I think that the treatment plans can vary from the original gameplan but I agree with you that you should have known that was a possibility right from the start. Sometimes communication is a real problem with orthos.

Wearing headgear at night only is not terrible though. It's not comfortable but you will still be able to sleep and it's not nearly as bad as having to get in 18 hours a day in it. Headgear has been around a LONG time so maybe you can find another appliance to do the job if headgear isn't what you want.

HeadgearJoe

#9 Post by HeadgearJoe »

good morning, yes sleeping with your headgear on isn't to bad it does take a few days to get use to wearing it , but like i have said in the past the darn thing has realy worked great for me , check with your orthodontist an see what other appliances he might be able to use with your case :wink: , Headgearjoe :D
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

newbie82

I'm with you

#10 Post by newbie82 »

I too have not been told whether or not I need headgear (and naturally am too scared to ask). What concerns me is I have headgear..hmm can't think of the word..holes on my braces (ok where they would go if I had them!). So that worries me but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

jennandtonic

Re: I'm with you

#11 Post by jennandtonic »

newbie82 said:
I too have not been told whether or not I need headgear (and naturally am too scared to ask). What concerns me is I have headgear..hmm can't think of the word..holes on my braces (ok where they would go if I had them!). So that worries me but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!
I looked at several pictures online of those 'holes' and my braces don't have those. That doesn't mean that can't be changed, I'm still in limbo as to whether I'll have them or not.

I am also too scared to call, I guess I just fear that I won't get my message across the way I'd like it to, so I'll find out June 12th, my next adjustment!

HeadgearJoe

#12 Post by HeadgearJoe »

hi , yea i wouldn't worrie to much about it yet, i also didn't have the headgear tubes on mine at first , they seen i wasn't getting anywhere with elastics , so they removed those brackets an put on the ones with hooks an headgear tubes, like i've said it realy works for me an today is no different , i got up ate breakfast an brushed put all my elastics in an strapped on my headgear ,an was off to work an will be in it the rest of the day , no biggie for me any more i'm realy use to it now , have a great day , (HeadgearJoe)

JumpTheDitch

#13 Post by JumpTheDitch »

jennandtonic, I hope things go well for you sans headgear! Y'have me slightly concerned though; your situation sounds a bit similar to mine. I had two upper bicuspids extracted to make room to reduce an overjet. Since the extractions my ortho banded my second molars as well as my first. He's never mentioned headgear but I do have the buccal tubes on the molar bands on my first molars. They're superfluous at the moment, I hope he's not planning on making them functional. But if he isn't, why use molar bands that have them in the first place? They caused some serious irritation when I first got banded, but I thought they were just standard hardware. I'm a little concerned now, but a little too scared to ask in case I don't like the answer! I work in a law enforcement environment, headgear would really not be a good look.... :shock:

HeadgearJoe

#14 Post by HeadgearJoe »

good morning , some orthodontist use those kind of bands just in case you need other appliances attached, as for me like i said i didn't have them so they had to remove my old ones an place the new ones with the headgear tubes on them , they also at that time replaced my lower ones to only to find out later i was getting a lipbumper wich is gone now , the orthodontist will fit you with appliances that will work best in your case , as for me i'm a very long rooted person an the molors realy liked there old spot , have a great day ,( HEADGEARJOE) (+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+)all aboard

Clo

#15 Post by Clo »

Hi,

plain and simple, just ask next time about this. Then you'll know for sure.
And yes, headgear is also used to prevent teeth that are behind extractions
moving forward. But know there are quite some other alternatives to do
this. A tpa does the very same thing. They can achieve quite some bit
by just using the right wires. And there are dozens of appliances that are
worn inside your mouth that can do this too. And sometimes they place
microimplants as anchor points ...
I now wear my headgear about 3 weeks. I can say it is not that bad. And
I have to wear it full time. I think it is like all appliances and braces, after
some time, they become like part of you. I can now for sure say my teeth
feel much better when I wear my headgear. Ok, having a home office, it
is maybe a bit more easy for me to wear it full time. But it can work also
when you just wear it when being at home. Maybe a bit slower, but it can
work. Anyway, just know that needing headgear is not the end of the
world. Like I said, it is not that bad.

But first, you need a good talk to your ortho !
Good luck !