A question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Willz

A question

#1 Post by Willz »

Hey all, I have a question. I have a white hard lump that has just come up in my gum right under where I had an extraction. The braces aren’t rubbing there, so does anyone know what it could be? :?

rsprouse

Re: A question

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Will,

Is it on the top of the gum where the crown of the tooth was? Or is it on the side? If it is an abscess it should have (all or a combination of) Pain, Redness, Swelling, Pus drainage. Does it hurt if you push gently on it?

Without a proper clinical exam it is impossible to diagnose properly. You will want to visit your Oral Surgeon or Dentist ASAP to have it evaluated. If it is an abscess, they will likely drain it and provide antibiotics to help clear up the infection. It is possible that there are still tooth fragments in the extraction socket that will need to be removed.

Good Luck,
Rory

Willz

#3 Post by Willz »

Its on the side, and it is a bit sore to touch. The teeth around it have been a bit sore too.

fyrelight

#4 Post by fyrelight »

It could be a piece of splintered bone left over that's trying to poke its way through.... I'd see your dentist and let them get an x-ray of it.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

x3trinity

#5 Post by x3trinity »

I agree with fryelight, I think it could be a piece of bone.

After my extractions I also had a white piece of something sticking out on my gums where my extracted teeth was, my dentist told me that it was a piece of bone that had shifted but that it will move back in place in time and I have not had any problems since then.

But........if you are experiencing pain, then I would definitely advise you to see your dentist or ortho!

"God's love is always with you, God's promises are true."

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Absolutely call your dentist/orthodontist and tell them about this ASAP.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Willz

#7 Post by Willz »

Thanks all, I will call the Ortho on Monday.

LoobyLou

#8 Post by LoobyLou »

Good luck with that, hope it gets sorted soon xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*