Tongue biting

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

saycheese

Tongue biting

#1 Post by saycheese »

OUCH!

During my 2nd adjustment last week I was given elastics to wear. The right side of my jaw is sore. I'm sure it's from the elastic pulling. Lately, I've been accidentally biting the right side of my tongue.

In all fairness, I would bite my tongue from time to time before I had braces. I've bitten the left side of my tongue so much there's a permanent dent in my tongue.

I know the elastics are suppose to correct my bite.

My ortho already warned me about my tongue. She told me it's going to be very difficult to retrain my tongue. She wasn't kidding.

I try to make a conscious effort to make sure my tongue is on the inside of my teeth. I guess that's all I can do.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

CreedAngel81

#2 Post by CreedAngel81 »

I have experienced the same thing! I have had elastics for a month now and have noticed I tend to close my mouth on top of my tongue and have to consciously pull my tongue inside. I usually wake up feeling like I've knawled on my cheeks and tongue while I slept. I almost feel like my tongue is too big for my mouth now. It's really annoying.
Inspire Ice Sapphire braces top
Metal bottom
Treatment Estimate: 1 yr
Results=Beautiful Smile for Wedding!

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

I've been biting my cheeks ever since I got braced, which was 4 months ago. I have permanent scars where I've been biting. I just got a longer archwire that reaches to my rear molar bands, so hopefully that will cause those rear molars to angle back inward again.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Saycheese I'm afraid consciously trying not to bite your tongue whilst sleeping doesn't work for me. I try every night not the clench my whole mouth/tongue/jaw/cheeks but so far no good :x. I don't have elastics yet (but will be getting them) but I've always had a problem hurting my tongue, etc whilst I sleep.

I don't know that I bite my tongue so much as kinda clench it along with the rest of my mouth. For some reason I seem to clench my tongue, jaw and cheeks while I sleep. (:oops:) When I wake up I usually have what's apparently referred to as a 'grooved tongue'; it's like it's crinkle-cut all around the edges, all night I've been pushing it into my teeth til there's large teeth indentations all around the edges. Since my bite has been altered it's not so bad as it used to be but I do still get it a lot. (I think it might be TMJ-related along with a clicking/popping jaw and ear-ringing, etc but I haven't got around to looking into that quite yet (:oops:))

I too have a fair bit of scar tissue along the inside of my cheeks from biting them, but I've always had that too. I guess I'd have to say it's got a little better with braces. I guess my tongue moves into a more normal position as the overbite is corrected. Which is nice!

Good luck with your treatment, I hope the sore tongue improves! :thumbsup:

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I bite the inside of my cheeks at night, something I never did pre-braces.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Grin&bareit73

#6 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

I thought I was the only one with this problem...

My bite changes all the time it seems, and so does my biting problem. Lately I bite the inside of my left cheek when eating or talking too fast.

It gets really embarrassing too, because if I talk too fast I sometimes even bite my tongue, and I think people notice--I mean, how can they not? :oops:

I don't remember ever doing this before being braced..
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."

CLAmom

#7 Post by CLAmom »

I hope this gets better for you sooon. For about two weeks straight I was biting the right side of my tongue over and over. This started happening right after my 2nd adjustment. My tongue got this huge sore spot and I thought I would go insane. Finally, it just stopped happening and one day I thought--hey that doesn't hurt anymore. Usually when I'm at the point where I think I can't take something even one more day, it will miraculously get better. Hang in there!! :?

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

saycheese

#8 Post by saycheese »

Thanks! :D

Today has actually been a good day. I've only bitten my tongue a few times.

I've also noticed that the pressure on the right side has disappeared. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. I hope the elastics are still working.
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

sadpanda

tongue

#9 Post by sadpanda »

Saycheese - I see that this post is very old, but I was searching for something that was similar to my experience with biting my tongue, especially now that I am braced for the first time. My overbite isn't being corrected until my teeth are all straight, and I'm not even sure that will help because my mouth is small and my tongue has permanent dents on both sides mirroring the shape of my teeth. So, it was like that before braces, but now that I have braces, I'm somehow biting the side of it more than I ever did and have to keep trying to settle my tongue inside my teeth. I've read the rest of the posts on this thread and didn't exactly read anything that might help other than having my bite corrected. But I relate to the things JumptheDitch said about having a grooved tongue and feeling like my tongue is too big for my mouth like CreedAngel81 said. I also clench my teeth a lot, but I don't know how this relates to biting my tongue. Does anyone know if this will be a permanent thing or if fixing my bite will help? It's always been a problem, I just notice it now that I have braces.