I got braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rockexrolloh

I got braced!

#1 Post by rockexrolloh »

I got braced this morning.
At first it wasn't bad at all but then the pain slowly took over. I don't mind the braces much, it's just the bite props they put on two of my bottom teeth because my brackets were hitting each other. I don't know if that's the right term for them but that's what they called 'em today.
Anyways, it feels like I'm biting down on cement. I can't stand it. Plus, I can't chew anything and I don't see that getting any better.
I'm kind of wondering what I got myself into but I know it will be better in the long run. They look better than I initially thought they would but I still look like a 12 year old.
The pain is starting to become unbearable. I didn't think it would hurt nearly this bad. I should've requested more time off from work but now I'm stuck working all night tomorrow.
I really hope this gets better!!!

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

It will get better after a few days. You'll get used to them and the eat/chewing will be normal.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

Congrats!

Things are rough at first, but you will get used to them. I'm 2 weeks in and feeling much better already. I wouldn't say "time flies", but it certainly passes and you start to forget about the painful moments!

I sympathize with you about feeling like you look 12... my husband keeps insisting I look fine, no different than before, but I think he's just telling me that to make me feel better. I try to remember it will all be over in 2 years and will be worth it - focus on the positive!

Anyway, congrats on starting your journey, I hope you find this message board helpful, I know I have. Good luck and keep us posted!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Things will get better. I've just had a sandwich for lunch and quite happily bit into and chewed it. Now to get all the gunk out!

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

I'm so happy to read you got braced. You have that new bracket technologie right?

Don't worry...as everyone else said...things will get better sooner than you realize. It's always hard to get adjusted to all these objects in our mouths...but we just have to remind ourselves why we are doing this...and at the end, this is one of the best thing you could possibly do for yourself.

Stay strong and know that it will get better soon! :P

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

rockexrolloh

#6 Post by rockexrolloh »

Meryaten wrote:Are the bite props little lumps of cement on two of your molars? I've not heard the term before but it sounds from what you describe just like the occlusal bonding I had on my molars to open up my bite a bit til the wires could open it up for real.
Yes! That is what they are.
How long did you have to have them? I'm hoping my bite will change and they'll take them off.

2XRound

Agony of molar cement

#7 Post by 2XRound »

I have had cement on my molars from day one and it is the worst. Having worn braces before I thought I knew what was coming, but I was unprepared for this. :roll: Chewing is a distant memory for me. :( Every time I wear the cement down a little they put more on. I guess it's different for everyone, but for me it has meant a liquid diet and a new smaller dress size.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

jaxxie118

#8 Post by jaxxie118 »

Congrats on getting braced!! That's awesome. :thumbsup:

And just remember that things will get better. I've had mine on for a full week and I can hardly feel them anymore. At first, the brackets were rubbing my mouth and making sores but they've since gone away. You should definitely take some painkillers and wax really helps a lot. And eating will get better as well. It just takes some getting used to. Take care. :wink:
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

Congrads. Just getting braced now? Thought you were already braced. In any event, it will get better.
I'm kind of wondering what I got myself into
Great looking teeth and smile.
The pain is starting to become unbearable. I didn't think it would hurt nearly this bad.
You can always call up your ortho and see if they can give you anything for the pain.

Welcome aboard, you'll do just fine.

- Missing Tooth -

rockexrolloh

#10 Post by rockexrolloh »

how do they get the cement off? it kind of freaks me out because it feels like i have an abundant amount of fillings on my two molars.

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

I believe it just wears off over time. Can someone who's had this confirm this?

- Missing Tooth -

OneTime

#12 Post by OneTime »

The cement goes alway from time to time. I had cement all over my molar(top and the sides) when they were put on.

Did I say the cement taste sour and nasty.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Barry

#13 Post by Barry »

Hi rockexrolloh

How are you?

How can I forget you? The cute girl hehe :P

Well Done on getting braced.

Im not long in braces, nearly 4 weeks now.

Im also 18, I would say it begins to feel normal after or just before a week.

Got any pictures up yet? :P

chickwithtracks

#14 Post by chickwithtracks »

ahh......., the dreaded cement chunk that break off and lnd in your windpipe as you're talking to a client, to which they have to administer the Heimlich, so you won't die at thier feet. Nope never happened to me...... :wink: