Any tips for getting impressions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Evelyn

Any tips for getting impressions?

#1 Post by Evelyn »

Well, I've finally made it. I'm in the home stretch, and I've got my impressions appointment on June 7th. I am so excited, this is going to be the first time I've seriously talked retainers with my ortho and I get to pick out my color (I'm getting a Hawley for the top and a bonded on the bottom), but before all of that fun, I have to go through the wonderful impressions.

Since it's been, a while, shall we say, since I last had impressions when I was first getting my braces on, I kind of forget the whole experience except for me gagging in the chair-I was not a happy camper. So, for some of you who have gone through getting molds done recently, whether it was before you got your braces on or before you got them off, do you have any words of advice? Anything that might help me not gag and make a complete fool of myself? Tips, tricks, or ideas?

Thanks, Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

KittyW

#2 Post by KittyW »

When the tech asks which flavor of impression goop you'd like, don't choose orange. Mine tasted and smelled more like latex paint! The fumes were enough to gag a maggot! :lol:

In all seriousness, I was so thrilled to have the braces off that I wasn't too gagged out. It did seem to take forever with the molds tho...I think I had 6 sets done! (3 for upper, 3 for lower).
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Have them sit you up and not lying down. Good luck! :thumbsup:
You will be "one of the naked ones" soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Evelyn,

Congratulations on your upcoming debanding - I know it has been a long time but hope you feel it was worth it when you see your teeth without braces.

Just wondering when does an orthodontist determine if you need a bonded retainer vs. a removable retainer? Personally I would prefer the removable retainers but have read other posts where people have preferred the bonded retainer.

Regarding the impressions, all of the ideas posted sound great. I don't gag but I know the chair was in the upright position when my impressions were done - I chose the watermelon flavor and it was very pleasant. You may want to ask which flavors they suggest since you may gag - my guess is nothing too sweet and maybe not mint??? Also the breathing slowly suggestion helped me also.

Good luck and Congratulations again :-)o :banana: .

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

I have a sensitive gag reflex, and found what seems to be a sure way to get impressions almost pain free.

Buy some chlorseptic cough spray, and apply liberally just before impressions. The assistants told me they keep some on hand for gaggers. Additionally if you still gag heavily you can ask for a palital sp? basically numbing the entire roof of your mouth.

- Missing Tooth -

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

Congratulations Evelyn!

You must be so proud of yourself for doing this.

I'm only 4 days in to having braces, so I have just had the full series of the dreaded impressions. Yuck! My ortho sat me up after he had put them on my teeth and I was fine then. It seems like a few felt better being sat up. Keep in mind that you're 'free' after the impressions. Well Done, you deserve it.

Julie

Duffle

#7 Post by Duffle »

Congratulations on your forthcoming de-banding. I had impressions done a week before my de-banding for my bonded retainer then they sprang another set on me after my de-banding for my Essix retainer! I was really annoyed as I'd taken loads of care with my make-up that morning because I wanted to look fab with my new straight teeth but my eyes ended up watering so much with all the gagging that my mascara streaked down my face and I looked a mess. But my teeth looked great!!! :D

Anyway nothing to add on previous posters advice, but make sure you sit up and remember that it only lasts a few minutes!!!

Good luck.

juf_84

#8 Post by juf_84 »

ssfw,

My ortho has recommended bonded retainers "because we don't want to send you out to work in a plate." So I think mine will just be for aesthetic reasons. I'm sure there are 'real' reasons that some people get bonded retainers- but that is just my experience.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

rsprouse

#9 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Even,

Congrats on losing the braces!! Impressions are no big deal, just sit back and relax. Everyone has a sensitive gag reflex and there is no real way to make impressions fun. As long as the tech uses a properly fitting tray and does not overload it then you should have no problems. I always tell patients to breath through their nose and wiggle their toes (takes the mind off the material creeping down your throat). You will always be sitting up for this procedure. If you feel like you are going to gag then put your chin forward into your chest and that should help.

Best,
Rory

Evelyn

#10 Post by Evelyn »

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I will definately keep all of this in mind when I go in for the impressions on Wednesday.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm getting a bonded retainer and a Hawley, but that's what the ortho told me a couple months ago. The reason that I want a bonded on the bottom is because I'm only 17 and my wisdom teeth haven't come in yet. I really don't want them messing up my front teeth if/when they do come in and then if I get them out I don't want my teeth migrating or anything...just basically to keep stability. Plus the fact that I still have a little bit of growth left in me so I want to teeth to stay as put as possible. Later on I'll ask to have it taken out, but for now, I'm happy that I'm getting a bonded.

It's one month exactly until I get debanded...July 5! I'm so excited, words really can't convey it's going to be awesome!

Thanks again for all the advice, hopefully I can keep the gagging to a minimum on wednesday

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002

CLAmom

#11 Post by CLAmom »

Here's my stupid question for the day. Do they have to take impressions if you are getting a permanent retainer? The current plan for me is the same as for you--permanent bottom & Hawley on top. I want permanent top & bottom & will be talking to my ortho about this--but if you get permanent top & bottom do they still have to do the impressions for some reason? :?

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

missing_tooth

#12 Post by missing_tooth »

I would imaging so. If it were me, I would just plan on it. If not, nothing lost.

- Missing Tooth -

Evelyn

#13 Post by Evelyn »

Yep I'm pretty sure they do because they need a mold of your teeth for the records
Braced September 9, 2002

CLAmom

#14 Post by CLAmom »

Rats, I hate that goop. :roll:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"