new member to the gang

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paulosportz

new member to the gang

#1 Post by paulosportz »

welcome to me!

got braced today and damn i hope i get use to this soon or im gonna die.

one question. when i bite, i seem to bite metal. does anyone have this problem

my top teeth on both sides makes contact with that metal around my back teeth when i close my jaws. is this something i have to get use to?

thanks

fitchick

#2 Post by fitchick »

Hi Paulosportz from another newbie!

I don't have your problem, I have a large plastic plate to bite into instead (and I'm sure it's 10 times the size of my mouth anyway!!). I don't know which is more uncomfortable. From my experience of reaching Day 4, it's getting a little easier.

Good Luck and Welcome,

Julie

blondie111

#3 Post by blondie111 »

Welcome Paulosportz!

Yep, when I first got braces, all I bit down on was metal too.....those metal bands around my back teeth. As your bite changes, you will notice less metal, or maybe more. Remember, your teeth will move several times during your treatment, so sometimes you might bite on metal, sometimes you won't. It will get better, you will totally get used to it.... I don't even think about it anymore!

Good luck with your treatment and welcome to these awesome boards! :thumbsup:

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

paulosportz

#4 Post by paulosportz »

thanks for the quick replies.

ahhh, so they are called bands.

=]

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

You have to get used to chewing differently at first.

If it continues to be a problem after a week or so, talk to your ortho about it. Possibly something could be adjusted slightly.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!