I finally did it! I got braced today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eaglesoaring

I finally did it! I got braced today!

#1 Post by eaglesoaring »

Hi all! Just an update. I got braced today. Hoped for Damon 3's, but Ortho didn't do those. He really believes in Damon 2's or Inovation (sp?). I told him that I'd let him choose which brackets to use, as he knew each bracket and it's benefits/disadvantages. He said he'd be happy to use either, but would put me in the Damon 2's, as that's the reason I went to his office in the first place. Somehow, there was a miscommunication between doc and the asst., and I ended up getting Inovation. The Doc was HONOST WITH ME, when he checked me, after the asst. was done, and told me of my having Inovation brackets, instead of Damon. He was calm, cool, and collected, apologetic, and told me we could remove the Inovation, if I chose. I told him I appreciated his honosty, and told him that I'd be fine with these. I asked him several questions. He answered in detail, and explained everything to me. I went to this office because we are a good fit together, and the fact that he was honost,...well, that spoke volumes. He could have lied and told me I had Damon's, but he didn't. So, I'm in the Inovation brackets. (I love them so far!)

Now, for my mouth. I feel pretty good! Honestly...I feel like I have a mouth full of metal, with the slightest amount of pressure, but otherwise, I really am not in ANY pain or discomfort!! I'm thrilled. However, I know I may feel differently tomorrow...but am just enjoying the lack of pain today! I got both uppers and lowers on, with a buildup on my back teeth because, otherwise, my top teeth would knock the lower brackets off. So, my teeth only meet in the very back...which is the reason for my difficulty with eating. Luckily, I like Cup-O-Soup, so that has gotten me through the day. The office actually gave me some applesauce, pudding, and a juice box! :)

My son (he's 9 years old), actually got upset when he saw me. I think he was worried that I was in pain, and he told me I look very different. But, as the day has gone on, he seems to be getting used to my new look. I explained that this is going to help my mouth feel better, and that he'd be sad when I got them off, because he'd be so used to them by that time! He was still pretty upset...poor kiddo...those young ones don't like change, do they?

Happy, and pleasantly surprised that I'm not in excruciating pain!

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi eaglesoaring,

Congratulations on getting your braces!

I'm glad everything went so smoothly when they placed the brackets. What's the difference between damon and innovation brackets?

I agree that one of the reasons I chose the orthodontist I have is because he was so easy to talk to and his staff is great also. I personally believe in good personality and skill when choosing somebody in the medical field - of course, some people don't care who they choose.

I had my upper braces placed about 2 weeks ago and have had no pain or discomfort. I had 2 brackets that were rubbing on the inside of my lip and I just used wax on the brackets. Otherwise nothing to complain about - I have had no pain/discomfort from the expander, spacers or braces, yet, and keep telling myself I hope it continues this way throughout my treatment. The expander rubbed on my tongue but I used wax on the expander also and that solved the problem.

As KK mentions, use warm saltwater rinses throughout your ortho treatment - I think this has been a big help to me.

Good luck with your ortho treatment and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

eaglesoaring

#3 Post by eaglesoaring »

ssfw- I'm so glad to hear that you, too, haven't had any major pain or discomfort! Damon and Inovation (as I understand it), are basically the same. Just different companies, that's all. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Kiwi- As always, thank you for your support. I will rinse with saltwater, and I will stay ahead of the pain curve with Advil/Tylenol. Also, your advice about lip balm was a lifesafer when I was getting my braces put on! Thanks!

Meryaten- I think you're right...kids don't always adjust to new things, unless you prepare them...and I thought I did a good job! He's just a sensitive-to-change kiddo. But, I had to tell you...he brought ALL of his friends over to come look at my braces! They all thought they were cool, and my son has really come to accept them. Not bad for the first day. Maybe he was worried about what his friends would think, and when they were cool with it, then he was fine, too! Gotta love those kiddo's!!

Almost made it through day one!
Thanks again for all of your support and kindness!

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi eaglesoaring,

I haven't had to use any Advil/Tylenol throughout ortho treatment. So, maybe you will be as lucky as me (let's hope it continues) and maybe just have it with you in case you do need it. Why take it if you don't need it?

Also, I think that was great that your ortho's office gave you some applesauce, pudding, and a juice box. The only think I really stay away from are real hard things, sticky things, and toffee. Otherwise, I may cut a few things up into smaller pieces but otherwise I am eating the same types of foods. I usually eat sweets right before I brush my teeth.

ssfw

paulosportz

#5 Post by paulosportz »

exactly how i feel!

congrats that it all went well.

its my second day and i still cant bite or eat asyet.

Qtgirl

#6 Post by Qtgirl »

Yay! Congrats on your braces day! This brings back memories when I was first braced :) You'll get used to them in no time and start eating most (well probably all) the things you enjoy.

eaglesoaring

#7 Post by eaglesoaring »

ssfw- Last night, I did NOT take any Advil/Tylenol, as it usually gives me bad dreams (I kid you not)...and, although I had difficulty falling asleep, once I WAS asleep, I slept like a baby with a full tummy and a dry diaper! I haven't needed any meds today, so I'm not taking anything. I agree with you...if you don't need it, don't take it.
I'm impressed that you can eat! Did you get 'buildups' on your back teeth? Please let me know.

Paulosportz- I'm sure we'll be able to eat soon!! I really encourage you to try Cup O' Soup, and cut it into small pieces. Then take small bites. You don't really even need to chew it. It's great! Or Ramen noodles would work too. After you cut it, pour some of the soup juice on it and it helps you to manipulate it around in your mouth, in order to swallow. Also, drink milk, fruit juice and yogurt. Oh, and applesauce. If you don't eat, your mood is likely to get down, and you'll be discouraged...so eat what you can, and keep your energy up, okay? That's what I'm doing.

Qtgirl-Can't wait until I can say that!! Thanks!

Mery- Of course I didn't think you were being critical. :) And you brought up a good point. We should prepare our kiddo's, as best we can, but also prepare ourselves for their negative OR positive reactions. I knew my son was upset about it, but I just didn't know how upset he was. Luckily, I was a quick thinker, and said calmly, that I understood his worry/disappointment etc...and that was difficult because I'd only been in them for less than an hour, and I still wasn't sure if I could ever get used to these contraptions!! LOL. I'm just glad I didn't cry when he said that he didn't like them. I hope his change in attitude stays!! He seems fine with them now.

Thanks all! Day 2 and it's going pretty good!

Pirate Wench

#8 Post by Pirate Wench »

:-)o congrats on getting your braces on. I hope you continue to have a painfree time.

I have been preparing my 3 year old for 3 months already. I know he will still be upset to see them, but at least he knows what to expect.

ssfw

#9 Post by ssfw »

Hi eaglesoaring,

I'm glad that you are adjusting pain-free to your braces. I think we are a couple of the lucky ones, for now, and hope it continues. Didn't you also say you were pain-free with the spacers also? I think we have both encountered some discomfort, for me I had 2 brackets that were rubbing on the inside of my lip but found the warm saltwater rinses and wax a big help - to me, that's neither pain or discomfort, just an irritation.

I'm glad you have had no need for the Advil/Tylenol. Be sure to always keep some with you, just in case.

I did not get 'buildups' on the back teeth? Not sure exactly what they are but have read on some other posts that people have trouble eating with the builups. Yes, I can eat almost the same foods. I do cut some things into smaller pieces because of the braces. The only think I will not eat is chewy/sticky candy, toffee, etc. I just found an area in my mouth that is comfortable to chew on. In fact, I found both the left and right sides are easy to chew on.

I hope your ortho treatment continues to be pain-free. Keep us posted.

ssfw

eaglesoaring

#10 Post by eaglesoaring »

ssfw-

Yes, I think we are a couple of the lucky ones! Although, I'm no fool. It could get worse at any time, and am thankful for every moment that it's not too painful. I've read a lot about some pretty bad pain. I've had some minor irritation, but nothing that wax hasn't helped.

I had build ups because of my overbite. You see, they put both uppers and lowers (braces) on the same day. If they had not put on build ups (just this tooth colored material that sticks to your teeth), my upper teeth would have knocked my lower brackets off! (Due to my bite). Now, with the buildups, my teeth don't come all the way closed. In fact, my teeth only meet (for now) on those build ups (on my back teeth), which makes it seem to me that I only have two places in which to chew food. But that's no big deal. I've lost some weight already. And, although I miss real food, I've got nothing to complain about.

I'm glad you're doing well. Will you need any Elastics or Herbst appliance?
Smile

new boy james

#11 Post by new boy james »

Well done, eaglesoaring, congrats on getting braced. I remember you posting initially saying how apprehensive you were about the whole thing and I'm sure you've made the right decision.

Glad things have started reasonably well - good luck!! :lol:

fitchick

#12 Post by fitchick »

Hi Eaglesoaring,

Thanks for the update, this is really interesting progress to follow.

I've not had any pain since having my lower brace fitted last Friday either. Eating is a different matter!! I wish I liked Cup-O-Soup. I'm 4lb down and sat here watching a Bakewell Tart at the moment. It's so close, but also so far away!!

I hope your pain-free days continue and I look forward to following your progress.

Julie

eaglesoaring

#13 Post by eaglesoaring »

newboyjames-
Thanks for the comments! I appreciate all the encouragement I can get. Today is day 3. Last night, I had some pretty bad pain in my (farthest back) back tooth, and the surrounding gum. I took an Advil, and it seems okay today, but still hurts. I looked in there, and found that my right side is the most crooked, between the two sides. (I'd never even noticed that before). So, I'm sure it has to do with my teeth moving back. I've had my wisdom teeth out, so maybe my molars are going to take up that space! Which would be delightful for me! (My jaw hasn't been the same since I had my wisdom teeth out about two years ago...or was it three years?)
I feel like I've made the right decision...just kinda waiting to get used to my new mouth! I still kinda feel like a monkey...trying to wrap my lips around these contraptions...but, hey...it's okay. (oooh! ooooh! aaaaah! aaaah!)

Fitchick- Sorry you don't like Cup O' Soup. This morning, I determined I was sick of it!! LOL!! So, I only ate applesauce, and headed out to the store, but by the time I got home, I was so hungry, I felt lightheaded!! So, I took some Cinnamon Life cereal, put it in a bowl with milk, left it there, and cleaned the house. When I got back to the cereal, it was soft enough for me to eat...and I gotta tell you, it was a joy to have a new taste in my mouth!!! Jello. Must get jello! My son is teasing me about eating lobster in front of me!! The boy has never even HAD lobster, but it is my favorite food...(I don't get a chance to have it that often, but I LOVE it)...so there's my son, teasing me about how I'm going to have to order soup, and he'll be eating this GIANT lobster. Little munchkin head! LOL

I think "pain-free" might be over for the moment...but I'm hoping to get back to that SOON!!! :o

fitchick

#14 Post by fitchick »

Thanks for the tip. I will try your 'cereal recipe' in the morning.

Perhaps there should be 2 Ticker Factory charts, one with food countdowns??? Good Luck with your Lobster Goal!

Julie

ssfw

#15 Post by ssfw »

Hi eaglesoaring,

Hope you're feeling better today.

Yes, I will have to wear elastics to reduce my overjet. Not sure when I will get them. Some people seem to get them early in treatment and some towards the end of treatment.

Take care.

ssfw