Coke & Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

serendipity

Coke & Braces

#1 Post by serendipity »

Anyone notice their braces get super shiny after a drink of coke? :idea:

Suspose this applies like the 'if you put a coin in a dish of coke it will shine up'.

Just a discovery I made the other day, thought I'd share.

~serendipity :computer:
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Oh man! I have to try that! Does it work with root beer too? I have to wait until I get this yellowed power chain off these teeth though first!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

serendipity

#3 Post by serendipity »

Not Sure - you might have to do alittle research and find out... :wink:
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

Missingorigin

#4 Post by Missingorigin »

yeah, ive notice that. lol.
I feel like those rappers with there bling on there teeth. :lol:

jaswi

#5 Post by jaswi »

guess I'll have some shiny braces then eh? Being a night shifter I tend to down the caffiene bombs quiet a bit. Bad habit I know.. but must... have...caffiene...*SHAKES VIOLENTLY*

Kazan

#6 Post by Kazan »

I think the reason it shines things up is because of the acid in coke (citric and phosphoric) so it is basically eating away at the stains on the brackets etc. Unfortunately, the acids in coke also dissolve teeth enamel which is why its not a good idea to drink lots of coke.

Have you ever seen that experiment where you put a tooth in a glass of cola and come back a day or so later and there's not much left. Try it with one of your children's teteh - obviously, ones that have fallen out and been taken away and paid for by the tooth fairy............

Kell

#7 Post by Kell »

Have you ever seen that experiment where you put a tooth in a glass of cola and come back a day or so later and there's not much left. Try it with one of your children's teteh - obviously, ones that have fallen out and been taken away and paid for by the tooth fairy.........
:) I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to perform experiments on their children's teeth. I was going to use the 1st one that fell out of my son's mouth and put it in the Listerine Whitening Rinse but I lost the tooth. Now I don't have the Listerine Whitening stuff any more. I have another tooth saved but I'm not sure what I will do with that one, lol.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

Interesting idea, I thought the metal had to spend some time in the coke before to make any difference. I always rinse with water after drinking coke/pepsi, but it sounds as thought it could.

- Missing Tooth -

alexa

#9 Post by alexa »

Have you ever seen that experiment where you put a tooth in a glass of cola and come back a day or so later and there's not much left. Try it with one of your children's teteh - obviously, ones that have fallen out and been taken away and paid for by the tooth fairy............
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Joanna20

#10 Post by Joanna20 »

Can u guys have soda and cokes with braces? I was told I couldn’t have any of those. Maybe I have a different type of brace (ours here may have something a little bit different than yours in the States). But then I was told I couldn’t have any coke the first time I got braces (aged 12) and I did and nothing happened.
Confused! :?
Anyways, take care
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Joanna20

#11 Post by Joanna20 »

Can u guys have soda and cokes with braces? I was told I couldn’t have any of those. Maybe I have a different type of brace (ours here may have something a little bit different than yours in the States). But then I was told I couldn’t have any coke the first time I got braces (aged 12) and I did and nothing happened.
Confused! :?
Anyways, take care
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Gottaplaygamz

#12 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

Does it work with diet coke??? lol :lol:

Leslie022

#13 Post by Leslie022 »

I avoid looking at my teeth after drinking a coke since it makes my teeth look horribly yellow! :oops:
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Idislikebraces

#14 Post by Idislikebraces »

Haha yea no one in braces is supposed to drink coke nd what not..but I dont listen...I eat nd drink everything the lady told me not to eat nd drink..lol
Excuse me while I go drink Dr. Pepper..haha :lol: 8)
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!