have you had teeth sensitivity to cold after an adjustment ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pinkdiamond

have you had teeth sensitivity to cold after an adjustment ?

#1 Post by pinkdiamond »

Hi everyone
I had a new bottom arched wire put on my bottoms and my tops adjusted and now I canot drink anything slighlty cold because my teeth become extremly sensitive . I'm using sensodine but it doesnt help. I hope I'm not getting nerve damaging our someting . Has this happened to you before?
Thanks for your post pinkdiamond

Nille

#2 Post by Nille »

I was about to post a very similar question! I didn't just have an adjustment though. I have been braced for 2 weeks and have had quite a bit of movement. Yesterday I woke up unable to bite down correctly because my bottom right premolar had moved overnight and it hits my upper teeth. It is pretty sore to chew food on it. This morning I took a sip of almost room temp water and it hurt like the devil. :soremouth: It felt like the pain went through the entire bottom right jaw! Now I am worried that something could be wrong! :shock: :( Hopefully someone will have some answers or insight for us!
Full metal mouth! 5-23-06
Estimated time: 12-18 months!

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I did have some sensitivity to hot drinks after an adjustment. It went away in a couple of days.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

YES! It happened to me immediately after my first adjustment. I went back out to the waiting room to drink from the water fountain there and to take a Tylenol, and one of my lower teeth hurt like nothing I've ever felt before! I too thought about root or nerve damage. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. My dentist recommended Sensodyne, which worked for me after a few days of use.

Pinkdiamond:

Keep using the Sensodine. It might take awhile for it to start helping you. How long have you been using it?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

pinkdiamond

#5 Post by pinkdiamond »

Thanks for your replys
Its been going on for about three weeks and I have been using sesodyne the entire time I will see my ortho on monday I will let you know how it goes.
pinkdiamond

Nille

#6 Post by Nille »

My pain seems to be coming from one single tooth although it radiates through that entire side of my jaw. As I said before that tooth has had significant movement in the past 2-3 days. I called my ortho and he told me to come in to be sure it wasn't something serious. He took an x-ray to be sure everything looked okay, no infection/abcess, etc. That was normal. He did say I have a little bit of gum recession around that tooth and the added pressure from it moving probably inflamed those nerves making it more sensitive. He took the bracket off that tooth and told me to use Sensodyne as genxsis mentioned. He did say it usually takes 3 weeks of using Sensodyne for it to improve. He said removing the bracket will also help determine if it was from the irritation/inflammation from the tooth being moved. If after 3 weeks there is no improvement he said he will send me to my dentist to check for problems.

pinkdiamond- I will be interestd to see what your Ortho says. Good luck Monday!
Full metal mouth! 5-23-06
Estimated time: 12-18 months!