Retainers and Speech Problems: Essix vs Hawley

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pharie

Retainers and Speech Problems: Essix vs Hawley

#1 Post by pharie »

Hi, I am getting my braces off in a week's time and I have been reading about people's experiences with retainers on the forum. I am due to have the clear, essix type of retainer and I was wondering if they are better, worse, or the same as the hawley type when it comes to speech problems? I am a bit nervous about the retainer affecting my speech so any replies would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Ceramic and metal since 4th Jan '05

Naked Teeth and wearing Essix retainers as of 19th June '06

juf_84

#2 Post by juf_84 »

Hey pharie!

Good to hear you're so close to joining the naked club!

I can't help you with your query but I'm bumping this so someone more knowledgeable can- best of luck.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

braceface75

#3 Post by braceface75 »

I've had the clear retainers for 2 days and my speech wasn't affected to much. I hardly even notice them now.
Michele

Braces and elastics since August 26,2004
Removable expander removed June 16,2005
Braces removed June 2,2006

SueFromNJ

I'm gagging!

#4 Post by SueFromNJ »

I just got my retainters two days ago, and the lower Hawley is fine - I can see it straightened a tooth that already went crooked again in the 12 days since I debanded. But the upper Hawley is killing me - I had to remove it for work, as I could not speak and I was gaging! I almost thrown up a few times since it is gagging me so badly. :( I think it's starting to get a bit better tonight, but I still can't speak clearly enough to work my job. I just have to hope things improve as I get used to it. :(
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

cookie

#5 Post by cookie »

I only have my braces off the top arch so far, and have an Essix retainer as well as a bonded retainer behind my front two teeth.

I have got a very slight lisp when I speak and it hasn't really improved in the week i've been wearing it - but it is very slight. That said, I believe that Essix retainers are a lot easier to speak with than Hawleys.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005