The Dreaded Elastics - Please help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Betty Bat

#16 Post by Betty Bat »

Well, I've had the dreaded elastics for two weeks now and I can honestly say that they are the worst part for me, so far. I think they look much more obvious than my braces, they make me talk funny (the proverbial lisp), I'm feeling much more tired since I've had them and they hurt - not much, but just enough so I know they are there.

When I started out with the braces, the ortho never mentioned elastics to me. I suspect that I will have them for several months. I'm not going to give up on either the elastics or the braces, but I'm much unhappier now.

And, Royalstation, I don't think you can/should double up on them.

jennielee81

#17 Post by jennielee81 »

royalstation wrote
Can I double up on the elastics?

I'm wearing Class II right now. I'm in my 6th month. I have too wear inside and outside of my teeth. Going from top canines to bottm molars.
NO!!!
That can cause serious damage to your roots!

I found an Orthodontic Journal artical about a month ago that was about an orthodontist who allowed one of his patients to double up elastics. She was 11 years old and all of her roots resorbed to the point where she was going to loose all of her permanent teeth. It was followed up with a warning about being too agressive with elastics. If they wanted you to double them up, they would give you stronger elastics.

Slow and steady...whether we like it or not, is the rule for ortho.

I have to say that I also have a class II elastic config and I am often tempted to move things along faster, but I realize that none of orthodontics is quick so I just stop rushing it. Follow your ortho's directions. Also note that if you skip 1/2 a day or so with elastics, it's rather like not wearing them at all. 24/7!! I even eat with mine in now becaue I kept forgetting to put them back in after my meals. :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

DizzyKitty

#18 Post by DizzyKitty »

I got elastics at 6 months (2 months ago), just canine to canine in the front up and down. I don't really notice them now. I will try to jam food into my mouth and have it bounce back at me LOL.

They did hurt the first few days really bad but I also got a powerchain the same day so it was pure pain all around and I ended up taking a vicodin my husband handed me to shut me up.

I change mine whenever I brush my teeth, about 4/5 times per day.

I don't know how long I will have them or when they will change the configuration...I am assuming more hookie brackets in my mouth mean more elastics at some point.
:roll:
- Dizzy

royalstation

#19 Post by royalstation »

Thanks for the advise and answers !! I was just curious. I just got my bands a couple of weeks ago, so you know I'm eager to "rush" things along. I'm not going to tamper with my teeth ... I'm paying my ortho to fix them, not me!
Slow and steady, stay the course !

JaneBy

#20 Post by JaneBy »

I've been in elastics since August '05. Right now, I wear a box configuration 24/7 and top canine to bottom lower molar only at night. Depending on the elastics, they do come in colors. The pack has orange, green, hot pink and purple - and really the purple is less noticable than the typical latex color pack! I often wear purple at work.

LoobyLou

#21 Post by LoobyLou »

I have 'orange' elastics (not in colour - I think it just describes the strength of them) on my left side only at the moment from top canine to lower back molar. I don't find they bother me at all - only the first night where jaw-ache woke me up at 3am. However today I noticed my left jaw joint area aching and getting worse throughout the day and now I have a sore (but not enlarged) gland there. Has anyone experienced anything similar - it's only on that side so I'm not sure if I'm coming down with something or if it's my elastics!!

Luv LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Char

don't double up

#22 Post by Char »

I asked the same question of my ortho, if I should double up on the elastics. He said absolutely not. Moving the teeth too fast does something to the root. Just be patient, I was and I am so happy with the results.

jennielee81

#23 Post by jennielee81 »

However today I noticed my left jaw joint area aching and getting worse throughout the day and now I have a sore (but not enlarged) gland there. Has anyone experienced anything similar - it's only on that side so I'm not sure if I'm coming down with something or if it's my elastics!!
I think you've got something else going on. I'll bet it's just a coincidence that you've got sore glands on the same side as your new elastics.

That starts me onto a whole other conversation...if you don't have a fever, let your own immune system handle what ever it is...if pain increases, there is swelling, and/or you have a fever, call your doc.

BTW, I'm not a dr...just a mom who's been down the road with swollen glands many times with my 3 kids and this is the advice given to me by my dr. Do not substitute my judgement for your own.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

LoobyLou

#24 Post by LoobyLou »

Thanks Jennielee - what you say makes sense. It's not as sore today luckily and hasn't swollen up so I'm not gonna worry too much :D
Thanks again for the advice xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*