The journey begins . . . spacers in one hour!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jared

The journey begins . . . spacers in one hour!

#1 Post by Jared »

After many years of wishing I had received ortho treatment the journey begins today. I can't believe it's actually here. After having spacers in for a few hours I may wish I had waited until next year. :)

Any advice for a newbie just getting started? Braces go on next Thursday, so I'm getting myself all ready to do this. Thanks for all of your support and informative posts.
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

paulosportz

#2 Post by paulosportz »

prepare for alot of changes.
first week requires alot of getting use to.

i found going through the 'braces story' section in this forum giving me alot of inspiration for my journey.

good luck =]

eaglesoaring

#3 Post by eaglesoaring »

Congrats!! Wishing you a "worth it" journey!! Because, in the end, it will be worth it! I got braced five days ago, and am doing pretty good!! I did not have spacers, so I can't give you advice there, but good luck!
eagle

OneTime

#4 Post by OneTime »

Braces is a lot better than having spacers...

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

fitchick

#5 Post by fitchick »

Well Done for taking the first step. I wish you luck with your treatment. I've had my braces a week today so I'm eager to see some changes very soon. I recommend asking your ortho to supply you with plenty of wax!! My experience so far, is no aches or pain at all, just the dreaded ulcers!!

Good Luck from me too.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jared

Got spacers . . . kinda! Questions

#6 Post by Jared »

I went in for my ten minute appt to get spacers on the uppers and they could only get one spacer in due to the crowding and tightness. They put in some type of spring on the side where they couldn't get the spacer in.

The asst. did tell me that they may not be able to band me next Thursday as was planned, but that they would still be able to put the brackets on.

Does this make sense? I thought they had to have the band on the back in order to put the wire in. Is she telling me I will have brackets on my teeth but no wire. I don't think I like that idea.

Thanks to all for your responses and support--it means a lot.
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

It's all so confusing. My ortho had problems getting 2 of my 7 spacers in, due to my teeth being closely packed together. He sent me off shopping for half an hour so that he could have another go. They did go in eventually.

The following week I had the brackets on and the wires the week after that. I think they just like to do a bit at a time so that you're not overcome with it all going in at once. I didn't think he'd stand a chance of getting the brackets on but the spacers worked a treat.

I hope yours goes to plan and that you're soon on the road.

Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gottaplaygamz

#8 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

I got my spacers in (8 of them) early this morning and have had them in about 10 hours and although they are a little uncomfortable I can't say they are painful. Just feels like something is stuck in your teeth and you want to floss it out. Eating is tricky because I cannot bite all the way down on 1 side and I can feel the spacer on the other side on the top.
Good luck and keep updating. :thumbsup:

ShinySmile

#9 Post by ShinySmile »

Jared--

I got eight spacers on the top teeth last Tuesday (6/6/06), and the second day was definitely the worst for me! I can't say they were really "painful", but more like a dull ache when you touch the teeth together. Tylenol helps a lot, for the times you have to be at work, or school, etc. After five days, I barely notice them anymore!

I've also heard that spacers are probably one of the worst parts of treatment...so don't get discouraged!

ASUDEVIL23

Advice

#10 Post by ASUDEVIL23 »

Patience, patience, patience!