Overcorrected

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace12

Overcorrected

#1 Post by BraceFace12 »

Okay so I went in for an adjustment on Wednesday and found out that my overbite had been overcorrected. In other words, the elastics pulled my top teeth back too far. Now, the elastics are being used to push them back the way they came from, ofcourse, not all the way. So anyways, I haven't heard of this happening a lot, but I'm sure it does. Have any of you had similar experiences?
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

HONEYGIRL

Re: Overcorrected

#2 Post by HONEYGIRL »

BraceFace12 wrote:Okay so I went in for an adjustment on Wednesday and found out that my overbite had been overcorrected. In other words, the elastics pulled my top teeth back too far. Now, the elastics are being used to push them back the way they came from, ofcourse, not all the way. So anyways, I haven't heard of this happening a lot, but I'm sure it does. Have any of you had similar experiences?
hmm....... intresting. I would like to know more about this too. I wonder how common this happens?

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Sometimes orthos do overcorrect things because when the braces are taken off the teeth will move back a little. So after this has happened a perfrect result is achieved.

TuZZi

#4 Post by TuZZi »

My first experience with elastics, actually over-corrected the movement of 3 teeth (2 on one side, and 1 on the other) to the point that I had to stop using the elastics all-together, after only a month. The elastics on the one side created a scissor-bite in my right front corner, and pulled one tooth too far right and created a huge gap on the other side.

It was a good thing I didn't wear my elastics as much as I was supposed to.... at only wearing them 75% of the time, I didn't do as much damage as I could have.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

ASUDEVIL23

YES

#5 Post by ASUDEVIL23 »

Yes, I've had this happen and it drove me NUTS. Having listened to everything my ortho said I realized I had overdone it and it basically pushed me back a MONTH! I know a month isn't a lot of time but that's seriously terrible if you consider I followed every instruction.

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

I have a friend who had a slight underbite and he wore elastics to fix that all the time! I don't think I ever saw him without his elastics! At his last adjustment his ortho told him to stop wearing his elastics because they had overcorrected and given him an overbite instead! :shock: :roll:

My ortho was trying to bring down my impacted canine and he had pulled too hard on it and had brought it down too long so he had to bend the wire back up so it wa go up a little bit as it was interfering with my bite! :roll:

Overcorrection can happen and it is such a pain! I guess we have to just trust our orthos to fix their mistakes! lol :lol:

~hAnnah :frogbraces:

Top Braces: April 28, 2004
Bottom braces: November 16, 2005

BraceFace12

#7 Post by BraceFace12 »

thanks for everyones replies
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

tokidoki

#8 Post by tokidoki »

My orthodontist's assistant told me that they were going to overcorrect intentionally. Since teeth always want to go back to their original places, especially as adults, it'll even out in the end. My midline is off to the right and I guess I'm going to wear elastics until it's over to the left a little. I'm already centered ^_^_^