Damon Night Splint/Retainer?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaws

Damon Night Splint/Retainer?

#1 Post by jaws »

Hi Everyone,

When I went to the ortho earlier this week I found out that I will be getting a different type of retainer than I was expecting (I was expecting an upper Hawley). The ortho showed me a picture, and I think he said it was a Damon Night Splint or something to that effect.

It basically looks like invisalign (it 'snaps' over all of your teeth), except that the top and bottom are attached to each other. He said that it will help certain muscles to relax so that I can retain my current bite. I will also have permanent bonded retainers on the top and bottom front teeth, so I will only have to wear this Damon appliance at night.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I think I'm going to be the first person in their office to get this appliance, so I'm a little nervous. Any info would be appreciated! :D
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am very interested in this. Please let us know when you get it, if you like it or not. I will also ask my ortho next appointment.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

starryadora

#3 Post by starryadora »

I will be getting that exact same thing too! I thought I was the only one lol I have an open bite, which is why I got braces. My ortho said he would be most likely doing the bonded retainers as well as the interlocking night splint that helps to retain correct bite. Don't worry...there are others of us out there;)

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

Sorry but i dont know anyone that has one. However i have seen some pics of this arround. It looks ok, better than the twin blocks i had a few years back.

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

Don't be nervous. If the retainer doesn't work for you, you could always move into a Hawley or whatever.

jaws

#6 Post by jaws »

Thanks for your comments everyone. I will let you know how it goes once I get the retainer. It's nice to know that I will only have to wear it at night, as I was expecting a Hawley that I would have to wear 24/7!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006