Changing your own Ligs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skinny

Changing your own Ligs?

#1 Post by Skinny »

I have clear brackets on my top social 6 teeth, I belive I have tooth colored Ligs... well I did have, hehe but after eatting and drinking colored stuff now they arent very pretty at all and they make my teeth look bad. I have tried peroxcide , baking soda, whitening toothpaste, Nothing has taken off the stains.
Im wanting to know if I can buy my own ligs and put them on my self? That will keep them looking nice! :D
Im almost temped to tell him to put medal ones on my top too, and take off the clear ones. My bottom medal ones look clean and nice.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

Skinny

#2 Post by Skinny »

Oh one more question? why are some ligs X's and some O's Do they X the ones that need to move the most, or need the most pull?
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Skinny

Henna_the_braceface

#3 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

What is a figure of 8 lig? I've had it a few times.

leah

#4 Post by leah »

Henna, my Orhto has always let me change my own ligs. BUT I WOULD NEVER DO IT WITHOUT DR'S APPROVAL.... At you next appt. ask about it. mine gave me everything I need to do it myself. Also I'm kindof a wirerd case my teeth move super fast, so I'm always sent home with insturctions of what to do if a tooth moves to far of too fast so I correct it myself... Guess he puts alot of trust im me. pretty cool I think.....
Best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

This topic has come up here SO many times.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Changing your own ligs is NOT recommended.

You may think that it's harmless and purely aesthetic, but the ligs serve a purpose in your treatment: to help engage the bracket to the arch wire. If you change your ligs before your ortho wants them changed, you are running the risk of interfering with your treatment. You may put too much constant pressure on your teeth -- more than the ortho thinks is wise. There is a reason why the ortho changes your ligs every 4 to 6 weeks!

Even the website that sells ligs came on this forum a few months ago and said that they do not think it's a good idea for patients to change them by themselves.

Always check with your orthodontist before attempting anything like this.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Skinny

#6 Post by Skinny »

Well this Thurs, is my 1st adustment App, Witch Im dreading! (Scared)
I will ask them about this. I wouldnt dare do it if they didnt want me too. I just feel yucky with a bit of yellowish on them I feel that my teeth arent clean. I have white teeth so the yelowing of the Ligs looks yucky.
The good news is that my Bottom teeth have moved! WOW It's like it happened over night! Im so happy and excited!
Thanks for the info and advice.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Skinny

Henna_the_braceface

#7 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I would never change my own ligs :!: