Movement!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eaglesoaring

Movement!!

#1 Post by eaglesoaring »

Hey, everybody! I've been braced for a full week, now! I've had no REAL complaints. I've only had to use wax twice (on the same area). I'm still having a little difficulty speaking...just because when my mouth gets dry, it seems my brackets stick to my cheeks/lips a little more, but nothing that a little sip of water doesn't cure.

I just had to share with you...I feel like I've seen a little bit of movement on my lower front teeth!!!! I looked at my pics (prior to braces), and I'd have to say I've definitely had some movement. Further, I can FEEL them moving...and I've got to say...it feels great! I keep thinking, "C'mon, teeth...GO HOME, WHERE YOU BELONG!!"

Plus, I have to tell you all that I ATE A CHEESEBURGER TODAY!!! I knew you'd all appreciate and understand the glory of it!!! It was delicious!! I had to cut it into smaller bites, but boy, it was worth it! It was the most delicious morsel I've had in a week!!

Just HAD to tell someone, and I knew you'd appreciate both the movement, and the cheeseburger!
Have a super-happy day!
eagle

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi eagle,

That's great that you're already noticing some movement in your teeth, it's such a great incentive when going through ortho treatment. I know when I first had my expander placed , I saw movement within a week. I look at my teeth alot more since beginning ortho treatment as I'm sure alot of other ortho patients do also.

I'm sure you were so happy to eat something yummy like a cheeseburger. I think a person going through ortho treatment has to take that first step and begin to eat their normal foods. I haven't really had alot of trouble eating my normal foods, I just cut things up into small pieces and I am staying away from chewy and sticky things. I do eat sweets but try to eat it before I brush my teeth in the evening.

It seems your ortho treatment is going as smoothly as mine and I know we're both hoping it will continue. I'm sure I will have some discomfort but for now, it has been great.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

eaglesoaring

#3 Post by eaglesoaring »

ssfw-

Yes, I look at my teeth a LOT more than prior to treatment! One might say that I'm obsessed!! LOL.

I'm so glad to hear it is still going well for you, too! It makes me feel good, knowing that!

KK-

I enjoy food myself...more than the average person...which is one of the main reasons I work out! I really enjoy a good meal! I haven't eaten out since getting braced, but will be doing so in the near future, and I've been a little concerned about it, so thanks for the advice!! And, it seems that my cheeks stick to my brackets MORE right after brushing. I know toothpaste can be a bit dehydrating to the mouth.

I have a question for both of you...I travel a fair amount. Eight hour drives, usually. On my drive...well, I'm sure I'll pick up some fast food...and snacks...normally, I would just chew gum after each meal/snack to help to clean my teeth, until I get to my destination...but with braces? I'm thinking I'll have to stop and brush??? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the encouragement! And thanks for knowing how much a cheeseburger can mean to a person who just got braced!!

eagle

Pirate Wench

#4 Post by Pirate Wench »

:-** I am really happy for you. It sounds like the first week of treatment has gone virtually pain free for you. That is wonderful. I hope the trend continues.

I can hardly wait to make a post about being able to eat "real" food again when I get my braces on Thursday!

Kimber

#5 Post by Kimber »

Congrats! I've had mine on for 5 days now and I'm so looking forward to that cheeseburger. I took my first bite of food with my front teeth last night (it was soft, but hey, it's the first I've been able to touch anything with the front teeth in 4 days!). I was so thrilled! Wednesday night will be my first dining out experience -- with my husband and brother-in-law who's visiting from out of town. It should be interesting.

I've heard that if you can't brush - rinse. Maybe if you just carry lots of bottled water (that isn't ice cold) with you on your trips you can use it to swish out all that wonderful guk!

Keep seeing movement!!

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

How exciting! And a real incentive to stick with it. This is great following everyone's stories and hearing the positive things to come out of them.

I'm still checking in the mirror every 5 minutes! I can feel tingling and some tenderness (Day 11) but not sure whether this means they're moving or not??? I'm expecting to wake up in the morning and find they've all swapped places!!

Good Luck eaglesoaring, it's hearing things like this that spur me on.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssfw

#7 Post by ssfw »

Hi eagle,

In reference to your question about gum chewing and long trips, I have never been a gum chewer but I do suck on hard candy when on long trips - seems to keep me more alert. Not sure if hard candy is good for my teeth but I do rinse my mouth with water. Would this suggestion work for you? I usually like starlight mints and Creme Savers (these come in about 3 flavors).

I also find that with cutting up my food into smaller than normal pieces, I don't have to use my front teeth. My front teeth were a bit sensitive a few weeks ago but feel fine now.

When is your first appointment for your adjustment? Mine was suppose to be about 6 weeks from when I got my braces but since I was getting my teeth cleaned in 9 weeks and had to get the wire removed and put back at that time, they said I could just come in at 9 weeks. I asked them if that was too long of a period not to come in for an adjustment and the assistant told me that the archwire continues to do its job. I just want to hear how my orthodontist feels how my treatment is progressing.

Take Care.

ssfw

eaglesoaring

#8 Post by eaglesoaring »

ssfw-

Hi! I'll try the hard candy....and the water rinse.

I can't bite anything with my front teeth! I think they'd fall out if I did! LOL. Of course I know that won't happen, but that's how they feel.

Because I have self-ligating brackets (In-ovation-R), my next appt. isn't until July 31st. I think it was about 8 weeks from original appt. With these brackets, you don't have to go as often as normal brackets. Not sure if you ever told me what kind of braces/brackets you have, but I'm sure 9 weeks isn't too long. I understand how you want to know your progress, though. When I go in for my appt., I'm going to say, "So...are they straight, yet???" LOL. (I really am going to say that.) Anyway, the archwire will continue working it's magic!!

fitchick-
That was too funny about your teeth swapping places!! I've felt that, too, and at times, felt like I need to look in the mirror to make sure they're all there, and NOT having a little party in my mouth!! ("We're free...we're free!!")LOL

Kimber-
Understand, I couldn't eat the cheeseburger like I normally would. I had to cut it up with a fork. Oh, and it was a McDonald's cheeseburger, and I read somewhere (on this board) that somebody felt like they were soft...and they are! I even at the bun! No, I couldn't eat the fries. Too chewy, or something. And, yes, I'll carry water in the car! Good idea. I'll just have to make sure it's not too cold. I guess I could always brush with a little bit of water while I'm driving! Brushing with water is better than not brushing at all, no?

Good luck with your dining out! Bring a toothbrush, or you might find that you feel self-conscious..."Is there food in my teeth? Why is everyone staring at my left/front tooth?" Ha! Ha! At least that's how I'd feel!

Pirate Wench-
The best of luck to to you on Thurs. Like KK says, LIPBALM...lots of lipbalm, use the toilet just BEFORE you are seated, because it'll make you more comfy while getting your braces on! Please make a post after you get them on...I'll be curious as to how you're doing, okay?

KK-
You just ROCK, my friend! You've given some solid advice on this board, and I appreciate it! Hope you're having a great day!

You are all great!! I wish we lived nearby...we could take over a city block, and call it...METAL MOUTH MANOR!! That would be cool! (Ha! Ha!) :wink:

eaglesoaring

#9 Post by eaglesoaring »

KK-

Yes, yes, yes,...you are right. (I will do better on ignoring the hype of a particular bracket). I think that I am hoping that, somehow, these brackets are going to make things go faster, or better, or something. I do understand that it's MORE the skill of the Ortho, and me following instructions that will insure that my treatment time isn't extended. And adjustment times vary, depending on several factors, which are too numerous to list. I also understand that my treatment time could be extended because of the way my teeth move. Everybody is different. And, it seems, every TOOTH is different, even though it's in the same mouth. So, I hear your words! :wink: I'm just hopeful, that's all...
eagle :D

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

Hi eagle,

I have clear brackets on the upper arch. I won't know for a few months if I will need lower braces and not sure if I will have an option of clear or metal. I'm fine with metal if my orthodontist thinks that would be best.

ssfw