Anyone have bonded teeth in the front?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

flowertowngal

Anyone have bonded teeth in the front?

#1 Post by flowertowngal »

I just got the two teeth on either side of my front teeth bonded - they were really small and now they are about the same size as the rest of my teeth. My question is this - how strong is the bonding? I am afraid to bite into ANYTHING. My dentist told me not to do anything like bite into an apple. What about a sandwich? A hamburger? I've eaten these things and I've started to bite down but as soon as the pressure starts to build, I stop because I'm so nervous I am going to break the bonding!

At this rate, i'm going to get my braces off and still be cutting up my food!

SuzyQ!

#2 Post by SuzyQ! »

Sorry dont know the answer to your question but just wondered if u could post a picture of your teeth, I think i will be getting mine bonded because i have small teeth either side of my top big teeth and would be nice to see what yours look like before and after!
Do u still have your brace in then? Cos i thought u would get it done when your brace comes off?

jaswi

#3 Post by jaswi »

I've got my top front incisor bonded to fix it cause it was broken badly. I bite into apples and everything else all the time with NO problem. I've had this bonding since middle school and it hasn't budged.

flowertowngal

Not yet

#4 Post by flowertowngal »

I don't have a picture yet but just to let you know - once my ortho made enough room on the top around the small teeth (so that I had big gaps around each tooth - this involved repeated trips to the dentist to see if there was enough space - he kept saying he needed a little bit more room so back to the ortho I would go and then back to the dentist...), he removed just the two brackets on each of the small teeth and I went to the dentist and he bonded the teeth.

A few days later, I went back to the ortho and he said they looked great and he would take my top braces off in two weeks. Unfortunately, during these last two weeks, one of my bonded teeth has started to shift - I rushed back to the ortho just to have him look at it but he said it would be able to be fixed with the retainer. I hope he's right!

I love how my bonded teeth look - they look really natural. My only concern is that I was planning to have my teeth whitened when I got the braces off but AFTER the bonding was done, my dentist told me that my bonded teeth would never get any whiter - said he didn't know I was planning on whitening my teeth - uhm, don't most people with braces plan on doing that when they get them off? So now my whole plan is ruined! I was VERY disappointed but he kept assuring me that they would look white enough and also he said if I got them whitened and got a lighter bond done to match the whitened teeth, then I would be stuck forever whitening my teeth to match my white bonding - does that make sense? Anyway, we'll see - the top braces come off this Thursday!

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

Both of my two older kids have bonding on their front teeth. My son has bonding on 40% of both upper centrals and he eats everything. Even corn on the cob without any trouble. It's been over 10 years.

My daugher has had bonding on a small part of one of her front teeth for about 7 years. She broke it off 2 times. Once when she bit her fingernail and the othertime it just came off (or so she says...hmmmm :roll: )
he said if I got them whitened and got a lighter bond done to match the whitened teeth, then I would be stuck forever whitening my teeth to match my white bonding - does that make sense
This absolutely makes sense. I want my son to get new bonding on his teeth because he's not worn his retainers like he should and those teeth have shifted a little. I thought new bonding would make them appear straight and I thought he can get them whiter and whiten his teeth, but he and the dentist said exactly what you wrote...it does make sence.

You'll get used to this new bonding just like you did the braces. AFter a while, you'll forget it's even there and you'll be eating normally again.

Best Wishes to you!
Last edited by jennielee81 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jaws

#6 Post by jaws »

I'm interested in this question as well...I'm getting 2 peg laterals bonded within the next couple of weeks (when I get my braces off). I do have a few friends who have had bonding since they were young, and they eat apples and everything and nothing has ever broken.

I was also interested in whitening...however I hadn't heard that the bonding material wouldn't whiten. Maybe I'll ask my ortho about this the next time I'm in.
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

nimo

#7 Post by nimo »

I had my front teeth bonded when I was 17, almost ten years ago (oh, crap, I'm old! j/k). One side fell off when I was 19, when I bit into a wonton (so not even anything as hard as an apple). Other than that, I've had no problems. Just be careful for a week or so, and then bite away!!!
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008