Got my spacers in today

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JennThompson79

Got my spacers in today

#1 Post by JennThompson79 »

Hi everyone, I'm new here actually. But, my spacers went in today and my braces go on next Wednesday. Any advice other than the 6 bottles of Ibuprofen I bought this afternoon? LOL UGHHHH I feel like I have popcorn in my teeth and want soooo bad to find a toothpick and get it out. I know I can't but that's what I want to do.

Also, just to introduce myself, I am Jennifer.

ShinySmile

#2 Post by ShinySmile »

be patient, I got my spacers in 7 days ago, and by day 3 I was biting into burgers! :) It DOES get better, I took Tylenol every 6-8 hours for the first couple of days. Just remember the end result of all of this...

eaglesoaring

#3 Post by eaglesoaring »

Jennifer-

Hi! Welcome! I didn't get spacers, but I wanted to say "congrats" on getting your journey started!!

I got braces 1 week ago, today, and am doing just fine! Keep us posted on how you're doing!
eagle

saycheese

#4 Post by saycheese »

Congrats on beginning your journey to a better smile!

I had spacers and my braces (top and bottom) put on on the same day.

Try to eat only soft foods for a few days. It will help if you don't bite down on them too often.

Hang in there! It will get better. :D
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

JennThompson79

#5 Post by JennThompson79 »

Well, as of when I posted earlier, It felt like I had popcorn in my teeth. Now though, after having them in for 7 hours, it is so sore and throbbing. 1st day of spacers, not even braced yet and beginning to regret this. I can honestly say that if I had know that it was going tob e like this, I probably wouldn't have done this lol. But, I gave birth to 3 children so I can do this right?

ShinySmile

#6 Post by ShinySmile »

JennThompson79 wrote:Well, as of when I posted earlier, It felt like I had popcorn in my teeth. Now though, after having them in for 7 hours, it is so sore and throbbing. 1st day of spacers, not even braced yet and beginning to regret this. I can honestly say that if I had know that it was going tob e like this, I probably wouldn't have done this lol. But, I gave birth to 3 children so I can do this right?
hehe, of course you can do this! I know it doesn't seem worth it right now, but the first and second days are the worst...I had lots of tylenol, soft food, rest. Popsicles feel incredible on sore teeth if you're not too cold sensitive...or if you happen to be lucky enough to live in a state with a Rita's Water Ice, it feels even better! :D

Hang in there!

JennThompson79

#7 Post by JennThompson79 »

Well, I got up this morning and my mouth and teeth hurt so bad that I was sick on my stomach. LOL I had no idea what I was getting into. Even though part of me wishes that I hadn't started this, I know that it will all be worth it in the end!!! I am so ready to finally see a beautiful smile!!! Thanks everyone, and I will definately be here for support. You guys are GREAT!!!

Kimber

#8 Post by Kimber »

My ortho told me the spacers are usually the worst part. They were definitely uncomfortable, and I was always worried about one coming out and accidentally swallowing it. Though thankfully that didn't happen. I was really sore in the back so I had to chew with little tiny bites on my front teeth. Then the braces went on and now I can only chew with little tiny bites on my left back side!

Advice: ice cream, pudding, custard -- nice cool soft creamy foods. Of course, when you're sick of sweets, there's refried beans, cheese enchilladas, mac and cheese (with really cooked macraroni -- I like Stouffers frozen). then there's always wine, too. Might as well enjoy benefits of being grown-up and having braces! :D

Gottaplaygamz

#9 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

Hi,
I've had 8 spacers in for 5 days now and I can tell you it will get better!
Just give it a day or 2. I don't even notice them unless I bite down. Just take small bites and try to eat softer things.
Best of luck! :BigTeethGrin:

Jared

Only one more day in spacers!

#10 Post by Jared »

Hang in there! After almost a week, I am really getting tired of these babaies. I am not in too much pain, maybe just a little soreness. I am ready to get my uppers on Thursday am.
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

fitchick

#11 Post by fitchick »

Hi Jennifer,

I just wanted to say Hello and to wish you well with your treatment. The spacers are a bit of a pain. Just remember they are only a temporary thing and no doubt they'll be out in a very short time. In the meantime, take the painkillers when necessary and count down the days to the next bit. Braces are much more comfortable than the spacers.

And if you feel like throwing in the towel, then just sign on here. The support you'll get knowing that we're all in this, will help you through those 'yuck' times.

Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

samantha_lou

#12 Post by samantha_lou »

The spacers are definitely the worst part, especially the first day! Hang in there, take your tylenol and it will get better. I had spacers for like weeks, and after the first day, they were fine.

Molar bands are heaven compared to spacers! :lol:

Joual

#13 Post by Joual »

I got my spacers in 3 days ago. I was doing fine until - you won't believe this - I tried to eat trail mix a few hours ago. Yeah, uh...anyhoo.... :?

One of my spacers came out a few hours after they put it in. I was eating chicken and it came out.

ladygal

They still hurt :(

#14 Post by ladygal »

I got my spacers in on Tuesday, and WOW do they still hurt!!! Each day they seem to hurt just a little bit more than the day before. I really don't mind the 'sensation' of something between my teeth, but the constant ache and throb is just awful. My husband warned me that this would be rough, sometimes I wish he wasn't so right!!!!!

Of course, they weren't exactly a picnic getting them in. Right as the girl started I warned her that I have trouble using dental floss (it's almost impossible to use on some teeth), but she was like, "Oh don't worry, I can do it" After three tries, she gave up and had to go get her boss to put them in. And then she even had trouble.

Ibuprofen makes them bearable; as does not eating or talking. Drinking beverages even is uncomfortable at times. Soft foods even hurt! I'm learning not to even think of eating without a pain killer in me. One consolation, it's a great way to diet!!!! Thankfully I only have 12 more days of this.....I'm hoping my teeth will move and those wretched bands will fall out.

I've already decided the last couple of days before the braces go in, I'm eating steak and really chewy french bread; b/c it will be the last for a long time I fear!