Got braced today 11:45 am/Pics waiting for the pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Got braced today 11:45 am/Pics waiting for the pain

#1 Post by Gennel »

Well today I had my upper brackets put on. I thought I was getting the bands on the upper molars.Because I had two extractions on top and my canines are high they put elastics from my canine all the way to my last molar that was bracketed :( I took 3 extra strength Tylenols about 45 min before they started. I felt tightness as soon as the wire was put on but no pain yet (Tylenol) I have no bands on my upper molars yeah!
Ok now for my bottom teeth. I will be getting deep cleanings done and it will take about 1 month or so ...hoping because that's what the hygienest told me to get certain areas totally clear of plaque & stuff. I also have to get a filling on the bottom molar where they will band it. So I'm in for quite a bit in 4 weeks. My ortho mentioned something that sounded like Heeley for the bottom. Because my two back molars that are getting banded face inward and they need to make them stand upright. So I'll be wearing that on the bottom for a while until those two molars are upright! ugh!! I go back in 4 weeks to get elastics probably taken out or replaced not sure yet. I havent had that feeling yet of " Oh my God what did I do" I do feel weird and some tightness so far.
Everyone was extremely pleasant and so kind there.I was constantly asked if anything hurt or needed a break.I keep looking into a mirror because I still can't believe that I finally took the plunge! So here are some " First Day In Braces " pictures. I will be doing salt water rinses several times a day,wax on back molars ...a must. Soft,soft foods for several days. So far I've lost like 7 lbs since they extracted 6 teeth over two & half weeks ago. I'm on a diet anyway so this should help !
Expected treatment is 30 months. I hope that after so much that has gone wrong that maybe just maybe I will be lucky and have tremendous progress in 24 months and have the uppers removed aat 24 months instead of 30 months ...
I have to say that coming here and reading so much info has helped me so ,so much that I felt comfortable because I knew exactly what to expect.Thank you everyone for sharing your own experiences so others can learn and educate themselves on this.
Gennel

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

:jump: Congrats on taking the plunge! :-)o Your pic looks great! It is great to hear that you aren't having any major pain yet. I hope that trend continues for you!

I will join you in this great adventure tomorrow!!!! :thumbsup:

36nBraced

#3 Post by 36nBraced »

Congrats to you. I'm on my second day in braces. I got all ceramics on my top teeth yesterday at 8:40am.

So far, the only pain i have is my right front tooth. Other than that, nothing but pressure. Immediately after I was braced, I noticed a change in my bit :shock: And eating...is quite an ordeal now. I swear everything gets stuck in these things :D And don't get me started on flossing. I told my wife that I wasn't going to eat again for the next 18-24 months so I wouldn't have to spend 3 hours flossing each day :D

It's all worth it, at 36 I will finally have the smile I always dreamed of.

OneTime

#4 Post by OneTime »

Congrat on getting it started... :D

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

eaglesoaring

#5 Post by eaglesoaring »

Gennel-

Congrats!! The journey has begun!! Good luck!

I, too, am hopeful that my Ortho will say something like, "Well...look at that! You're teeth are moving exceptionally well!! You'll only need them for 8 months!!!!!!!!" LOL! (Hey, I can dream!)

I'm in for about 18 mo. Got uppers and lowers June 5th. Will be getting elastics at some point.

Have a beautiful day!
eagle

eaglesoaring

#6 Post by eaglesoaring »

Gennel-

Congrats!! The journey has begun!! Good luck!

I, too, am hopeful that my Ortho will say something like, "Well...look at that! You're teeth are moving exceptionally well!! You'll only need them for 8 months!!!!!!!!" LOL! (Hey, I can dream!)

I'm in for about 18 mo. Got uppers and lowers June 5th. Will be getting elastics at some point.

Have a beautiful day!
eagle

Gennel

#7 Post by Gennel »

KK, they're actually powerchains! I looked at them this afternoon and noticed this iswhat it was! I think powerchains move the teeth really fast? They put them on my canine all the way to my back molar's bracket.It's been about 10 hrs since I have the braces on and I've been taking my Tylenol every 4 hrs. I feel the tightness forsure and the teeth feel very tender. Even with this discomfort so far my 6 extractions two weeks ago & my infection on 1 extraction was WAY WORSE than this. I can't say which certain tooth is feeling very tender because every half hour or so it seems to be a different tooth. Right now it's my right front tooth. Hoping I will feel much better in 2 weeks so I can get up the nerve to have a filling done on the bottom so that can be prepared to be banded hopefully by my next appt which is 4 wks away.
I felt proud because I finally went through with this and I think the ortho felt this also because they were pleasantly surprised when I actually showed up this morning! lol He called me later this evening and left me a message to see how I was. Of course at the time I knocked out taking a long nap. I only slept 5 hrs lastnight so I needed the sleep.

I was not expecting powerchains the first day of being braced!

Gennel