Who here has had their first bicuspids/premolars removed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joual

Who here has had their first bicuspids/premolars removed?

#1 Post by Joual »

Just curious.

The first ortho I saw wanted to extract the first bicuspids, top and bottom.

The second ortho said either first or second bicuspids, he wouldn't know until he did the records.

The third ortho, who did my records, said first bicuspids on the top, the first bicuspid on the bottom right, and the second bicuspid on the bottom left. :?

Henna_the_braceface

#2 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I have! I've had my upper 1st premolars removed and my lower second premolars. :D

JumpTheDitch

#3 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Me too!

I had two upper second bicuspids extracted a week after getting braced. Objective was to make room to retract overjet. Six months in, I haven't noticed much change except a few spaces opening up where there didn't used to be any, so I guess any movement is good! :thumbsup:

In fact I'm off to my third adjustment now, good luck with your treatment!

jennandtonic

#4 Post by jennandtonic »

Yes. I have had two first bicuspids removed and two second bicuspids removed, one tooth from each quadrant.

Joual

#5 Post by Joual »

Thanks for the responses! :) I have an overbite with some crowding on top and crowding on the bottom. I was really alarmed when I saw the first ortho and he was talking about extracting premolars - I wasn't prepared for that. Right after I saw him I went on this site and saw that it's normal to extract premolars in adults, but I wasn't sure how many have had 1st vs. 2nd premolars extracted.

jennandtonic

#6 Post by jennandtonic »

Joual Said:
Thanks for the responses! :) I have an overbite with some crowding on top and crowding on the bottom. I was really alarmed when I saw the first ortho and he was talking about extracting premolars - I wasn't prepared for that. Right after I saw him I went on this site and saw that it's normal to extract premolars in adults, but I wasn't sure how many have had 1st vs. 2nd premolars extracted.
At first, I wasn't too excited about the idea of having my premolars extracted, however now that my teeth have started to move to fill those gaps, I realize I probably won't notice any difference, especially since my teeth were so crowded before!