Does Everybody Have To Get Elastics...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kimber

#31 Post by Kimber »

flowertowngal - You get to eat popcorn? My ortho pretty much forbid it! I'm jealous! :D

I've got these wonderful hooks on the backs of my top molar bands, so I'm pretty sure that elastics are in my future since, as someone else wrote, I don't exactly plan on hanging ornaments off them. Actually, they are literally a pain. I have to keep gobs of wax over them. I've affectionately nicknamed them "the shredders." They do a good job of shredding food when my teeth are too sore to chew. Unfortunately, they also shred my tongue! :(

flowertowngal

it's a myth i think

#32 Post by flowertowngal »

My otho said no to popcorn too but after about 6 months of braces I decided to try it. And honestly, it was fine! I really don't see what the big no-no is...you just have to be careful but with braces, we have to be careful with everything we eat so what's the big deal?

It's kind of a hassle to clean your teeth after popcorn but no worse than a lot of other foods. Since that first attempt, I have had popcorn probably once a week for at least a year - never had one single problem. I just eat carefully and I avoid the unpopped kernals.

JumpTheDitch

#33 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Yeah Lucyloop, I moved up there for something different after I'd been living in London for about a year. Talk about different! I loved it up there, though it gets very cold and very windy. I lived there for about 9 mths (sadly only two years on a working visa so I couldn't stay all that long :cry: ). I loved all of Scotland though, I moved down to the highlands after the Shetlands and b*mmed round there for a while, worked in the Cairngorms, Pitlochry, etc. You should defintely go to Shetland, it's a fantastic spot, but I'd recommed going in summer, though winter can be pretty. There are a few (mostly Scanadavian) tourists around during summer, but it really is the best time to see what's up there (otherwise the weather's a bit too extreme for some spots). You can also catch a ferry to Norway, Iceland, The Faroes, etc from there too.
Uh-oh, sounding like a tourist brochure again... :oops: :roll:

**********************Apologies for the thread hijack **********************

Back to elastics, I half-expected to be presented with some today (3rd adjustment) for overjet/extraction gaps. Apparently not, I guess we're going with powerchains only @ this stage :?.

Interestingly, my ortho (who wasn't my ortho but a locum ortho) told me today that midlines are not always corrected (something which my assistant ortho had told me to expect @ some point using the dreaded elastics). Locum ortho said that while it was nice for midlines to match up, the important thing was for each corresponding upper and lower tooth (ie: upper #3 to lower #3) to have a good relationship (occlusion), and since sometimes pairs of teeth (ie: the pair of upper canines) are not symmetrical, producing this good relationship can leave the midline out of whack. I never realised pairs of teeth could be different widths/sizes :shock:.

Anyhoo... :roll:

pk_girl

#34 Post by pk_girl »

Mine go from top Canine teeth, to top back Molar. it is so much easier going top to top than from top to bottom, well thats my opinion anyway.

PnkPrincess024

#35 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

i have to wear my elastics 24/7 as well and i always do, but i always take them off if i go to clubs or bars at night...i mean itsbad enough i have braces but i dont feel comfy having those on as well LOL.
also im only supposed to changed it once a day, but i always put new ones in at night LOL

Henna_the_braceface

#36 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I have to wear them 24/7 too..... i can eat with them without any problems! but i have to change them only once every 24 hours.