Brackets- when did you choose which?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaswi

Brackets- when did you choose which?

#1 Post by jaswi »

Pretty simple question I think. I'm wondering when you had to choose what brackets to go with, like ceramics or metal or damons or whatever. Was it at a consult/records appt, or did they wait till the actual day of bracketing? My ortho only basically showed me a pic in his slideshow of a metal bracket and said thats what'd be glued to my teeth-it was kind of a 'what it is' type thing-obviosly trying to explain to the less well informed what everything is. I was originally cool with getting all metal all the way around, but since I got my new girlfriend, and I'm starting to get chilly feet I think I might actually prefer clear up top. At least my new girl seems cool with the idea of braces, when I mentioned it she started talking about how she had to have an RPE and all that goodness, and how her peg laterals were fixed(one was yanked and replaced wit a phoney, other was bonded-they look wonderful)

Raspberry

#2 Post by Raspberry »

I was given the options of full metal, or ceramics on top at my initial consultation, and only had to choose on the day the braces went on.

momof2grlz

#3 Post by momof2grlz »

When I went for my spacers, the assistant asked if I was going metal or ceramic. I decided on ceramic upper and lower. When I went for my banding appointment, they double-checked that I wanted ceramic and said I could switch to metal if I wanted to. So, I guess I could have switched right up until they started cementing them.

If I did it again, I would go with all metal. Stained ligs show pretty bad on the ceramics and (I hope) metal would be easier than ceramic to remove.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Indy

#4 Post by Indy »

At the consultation appointment my ortho suggested his preference for metal on top, but he didn't say I couldn't have clear brackets. He was/is more worried about whether clear brackets would have enough torque. I think the torque he referred to was for moving my left upper teeth back to fill in the gap my pendex has made.

It wan't until my appointment where my pendex was placed that I made my initial payment, which included the extra cost for clear brackets. So it was at that time that they knew how many clear brackets to have ready for me on brace day.

I suggest calling you ortho to see if clear brackets, even just on the social teeth, are possible.

Jillianleab

#5 Post by Jillianleab »

I wanted ceramics on top, but my ortho advised against it. He said I'd get better results and be done faster if I did metal top and bottom. I was hesitant at first, but I listened to him in the end. I'd go with whatever your ortho recommends - he's supposed to be the professional, after all!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Kimber

#6 Post by Kimber »

My ortho steered me pretty quickly to metal at my first consult. Since I wasn't that concerned about how they looked and didn't want to pay any extra or worry about staining, I just went with metal. When I wore them 30 years ago as a kid, they put bands around ALL your teeth -- so just having the little brackets there even if they were metal seemed like a great improvement!

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Do you know why, Stace?

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Yeah, I'm always curious when they say one or the other.

I was offered anything but invisalign.

mackenzie

#9 Post by mackenzie »

If you're considering ceramics instead of metal because of your girlfriend, maybe you should ask her. Say something like, "so should I get those tooth colored braces or the normal metal ones?" because I'm a girl and I would definetly prefer my boyfriend to have metal. It's kind of a he's not embarassed or trying to hide them kind-of-thing. Plus sometimes from a distance ceramics can look like a bunch of plaque or something which I think is gross. No offense to anyone with them, they're just not my taste.

juf_84

#10 Post by juf_84 »

mackenzie I totally agree! I said to my ortho anything but ceramics. Definately just a personal thing, I have seen people with them looking pretty yucky and people with them looking great- I just think the yucky looking ones have stayed with me more!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

The contract was written up for ceramics on top, however the contract stated 500 less for all metal. So when I went to pay I said I would like to op for the all metal. ( A little sneaky am I? )

Half my mouth would have had to be metal anyway for the impacted tooth to be brought down.

- Missing Tooth -

jaswi

#12 Post by jaswi »

mackenzie, thanks for putting that out. I think I might just ask her and find out what she would prefer, cause honestly I don't care myself-either way is fine.

JumpTheDitch

#13 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I agree with juf_84 and mackenzie; no offence to anyone with ceramics/sapphires/etc but I personally prefer the look of metal. My ortho initially suggested ceramics, purely because I was an adult. When I told him I'd rather have metal he was more than happy to comply, since it meant he could push the appointments up to every 6 wks rather than every 8 as I had imposed a strict timeline on treatment. For me it was never really a choice anyway; while I understand the idea of wanting to diminish their impact on your appearance, I figure you can't really hide braces completely so why try. I don't want people to think I'm embarrassed by my braces, I'm proud of myself for taking positive steps towards investing in my dental health, despite what people may think. Each to their own though, I think it's great that there are so many options for people to choose what fits their lifestyle best :thumbsup:.

I think I'm biased against ceramics because of how they looked on a girl I went to boarding school with. Talk about plaque-build-up-look :FeelSick: . Then again, a girl I work with has sapphires which look quite good.

Personally I like my metal. At least I can drink all the coffee I like without worrying bout staining! :lol:

...coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee... :-*

Pirate Wench

#14 Post by Pirate Wench »

My ortho told me which kinds of braces he deals with at the original consult appointment. I didn't have to decide until yesterday when I was sitting in the chair to get them put on!

I decided to go with the In-Ovation R's (metal) top and bottom. I only got the tops done yesterday and will get the bottoms in a few months.

Gottaplaygamz

#15 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

I had a choice of ceramic or metal. I asked my ortho what he prefers
and he prefers metal only because it usually the treatment time is shorter.
Honestly it didn't matter to me anyway so I chose the metal.
Whatever you choose I'm sure you will be happy.
Happy Bracing! :tingrin:

Full Metal Uppers and Lower on June 16 2006
De-Braced December 2008