I'm Braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gottaplaygamz

I'm Braced!

#1 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

I got braced today! Full metal uppers and lowers w/4 molar bands.
It was a very interesting experience to say the least. I don't know what was worse the cement from the bands or the horrible taste I got from the etchant yuck! :yuck:
Other than that it went fairly quick only took about an hour. I must say it feels very strange having these foreign objects attached to your teeth.
I decided on grey ligs for now. Next time I may be brave enough to get colors. :roll:
I tried to eat a little pasta. Although I have no pain as of yet I really cannot chew. Back teeth not lining up to chew. Kind of have to swallow whole. I'm sure it will get better.
I will try to get some photos up.
:HugeGrin:

Full Metal Uppers and Lower on June 16 2006
De-Braced December 2008

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

Welcome to the braceface club......my uppers went on yesterday!

You are right....the taste of the crap they put on your teeth is gross :yuck:. I don't know what I was expecting. I had the lip expander in for everything from the etching stuff to the glue for the brackets so I didn't taste anything until they took out the expander and the cotton. Then all of a sudden I got this flow of discusting taste all over my mouth. I tried so hard not to swallow, but I couldn't stop myself from swallowing some of it. I thought I was going to yak my cookies!

I hope all goes well for you. I have been taking Kiwi's advice and rinsing with salt water. I haven't had to take any advil at all and I haven't used any wax yet!

eaglesoaring

#3 Post by eaglesoaring »

Gottaplaygamz-

Welcome! I'm glad to hear that your experience with getting braced wasn't too bad!

I'm only a week and a half into my treatment, and I found it helpful to cut my pasta into little, tiny pieces, because I wasn't chewing at all. "Swallowing it whole" would describe how I was eating. I got a bit worried about my digestion of these WHOLE chunks of food, so I decided that little, tiny pieces would be best...and I've had no problems.

If you like cereal, I would recommend Cinnamon Life cereal, SOAKED in milk until it's fairly soggy...then you don't have to chew at all! This has gotten me through a few mornings thus far.

Yes, it is a strange feeling, having all of this stuff in your mouth! I completely agree, but already, I'm getting pretty used to it! Good thing these are not removable, as I would have removed them to eat! LOL.

Anyway, good luck...and, again, welcome! Here's to a good journey, with a beautiful result!
eagle

stephy79

#4 Post by stephy79 »

Congratulations Gottaplaygamz!! Hope everything goes well!

Stephanie

OneTime

#5 Post by OneTime »

Welcome to our journey.

I agree, that horrible taste is some what sour and nasty.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

I'm pleased to hear that all went well for you today. You've now started the countdown.

It's funny reading about 'eating whole'. My teeth don't meet either, the food goes in and down and I don't feel afterwards like I've eaten anything. I find sticking to soft foods and in small pieces helps. Fish and rice is recommended!

I think in a few days you won't even notice the braces. I hope you see results soon.

Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gottaplaygamz

#7 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

Thanks for everyones encouragement! My teeth are very sensitive now
I try not to think about it. I'm ok if I don't try to bite down. Will take it one day at a time I guess.
thanks again everyone.
We are not alone in this journey :D

Full Metal Uppers and Lower on June 16 2006
De-Braced December 2008

Kimber

#8 Post by Kimber »

Welcome aboard! Isn't that taste something else? The assistant said, "This is going to taste bad" and I told her I'd heard it was horrible. She said, "it's worse" and man, was she right!

Good luck with eating! I think at first we all become a little obsessed with mirrors and food :D
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

paulosportz

#9 Post by paulosportz »

welcome...

in myabe 5-7 days life will be almost normal. =]]

jaxxie118

Re: I'm Braced!

#10 Post by jaxxie118 »

I don't know what was worse the cement from the bands or the horrible taste I got from the etchant yuck!

Omg. That stuff was so disgusting. I completely agree with you on this one. I couldn't wait to get up and rinse my mouth. Hey, at least we only have to taste that stuff once. Congrats on getting braced! Good luck with them. :wink:
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months