quick question, 4th day, help please.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mostro

quick question, 4th day, help please.

#1 Post by mostro »

Hi. I got damond 3's 4 days ago. I am worried/surprised because my I get mild headaches when I wake up and they disapear after a few minutes. but what I am worried the most about is the pain I feel on my teeth. Some of them hurt just because I touch them!!
I have a very hard time chewing the tenderest meats or things.
Is this normal? Are my teeth getting loose so fast or is there a problem with my braces?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot to all.

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

I think this is normal. Since being brace, your teeth is loosening up to start the movement.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

susieq182

#3 Post by susieq182 »

Tenderness is normal and a slightly spongy kind of feeling. Not all of your teeth will hurt all the time most never hurt at all. Try taking some Advil or tylenol. This should help with the pain. Also eat soft foods like cassrols and pasta for a few days then add meat back into your diet. If you are worried contact your ortho with any questions you might have they will know if you need to be checked on.
congrats on getting braces and GOOD LUCK!
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

katmc_tx

#4 Post by katmc_tx »

Hi Mostro, welcome to the club. I've had my braces on a few months now and things get some what easier as you go along.

However, after my second adjustment I had a hard time eating a slice of melon. :shock: I couldnt believe it, I mean what is softer than melon.

But its part of the process and the worst of the tenderness should get better in a few days.

Even after you get adjusted and a few days go by and everything is okay, :shock: out of nowhere your teeth are tender to the touch or food all over again. For some of us pain is part of the game :( .

Just think about the goal, which is a great smile. So I will tell you good luck, get some kinda over the counter pain meds and you should be okay. :)

But if you ever feel great pain dont hesitate to call your ortho to make sure everything is okay. Better safe than sorry. :wink:
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Kimber

#5 Post by Kimber »

I think what you're going through is normal, too. I'm a week in and I'm just starting to eat harder foods. It's still sore when I push on my front teeth and they feel like they shift just a little when I do -- it's a weird feeling, but I'm hoping it just means things are working. The first morning I woke up with a nice headache that went from the roof of my mouth to the bridge of my nose, but it went away after I took some Ibuprofen. Mostly I just get tingling feelings around my gums at the tooth line -- like I've been flossing a bunch. It shifts around to different parts of my mouth.

Stick to soft foods like yogurt, ice cream, mac n cheese, smoothies. Someone recommended Mexican food and that seems to work well, too -- cheese enchilladas, rice and beans.

katmc_tx -- I know what you mean about the melon! I tried that a couple of days after I got the braces on, too, and ouch! Who knew? :D

Hang in there! I didn't think it was going to get better, but it already has!
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

mostro

#6 Post by mostro »

thanks to all for your replies!

Indeed, I guess it is just part of the process. I will eat pasta and soft things until I gain confidence to chew again.

I am so glad this site exists!

:D