Second Time Around

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blackcat20

Second Time Around

#1 Post by blackcat20 »

Hi all. New here and thought Id post a bit of an introduction. :D

Just got banded today, for the second time in my life. First time around was about 12 years ago, when I was a primary school student.

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but as soon as my lower retainer wire was taken off, my lower front teeth did a bit of a moved slowly. Wasnt too fussed about it until they pushed one of my front teeth forward :?

So now Im banded top and bottom; half clear brackets up the top, and full metal down the bottom. All I can say at the moment is the lower front teeth are in major pain! Unfortunately I cant chew properly cos my front teeth hit the brackets on my lower teeth, which is why I had to get full metal brackets; my ortho said if I had the plastic ones Id break them everytime I shut my mouth...

The one great thing (or two) that Ive noticed compared to my previous experience with braces: no nasty metal bands around my back teeth, and no coloured ligatures, which makes them a bit less noticible, which is great :D

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am sorry you have to go through this journey again. I am glad you are happy with the brackets you got put on. I will be getting brackets with no ligs too in June. I have a feeling I will have the same problem as you with chewing. My overbite is 100%.

Have fun with your second journey.

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

Hey Blackcat! Congratulations on starting your second journey! At least now you know what to expect and that really must be cool to see all the changes in braces technology that have occurred since then.

Good luck and don't forget to pamper yourself in those first few weeks!

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey it's my 2nd time too! I'm getting spacers in 13 hours and lower braces the day after that...!
I'm really excited and also nervous with everything, there's no going back now!
Good luck to u,
Keep us updated!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

blackcat20

#5 Post by blackcat20 »

Thanks for all the good wishes :D

Never tried the warm salt water thing; does it really help? I never used the wax last time either, as it went through the wash about a week after I got it. However it is looking like a good option this time around, cos Im already getting sore along the line from my back teeth...

Boy are the bottom front teeth sore; but I guess its cos they have the most moving to do...

I also dont remember not being able to eat last time around, but I was only about 10 years old... Ive discovered so far that soup and yoghurt are good, rice can be swallowed easily, cupcakes can be sucked on, and that grapes are too hard to bit :? Panadeine is also a good thing for the sore jaw...

Ive got a pic somewhere showing my teeth pre-braces, and if I can take one with them on, Ill get them posted later...

blackcat20

#6 Post by blackcat20 »

Thanks for the list. Looks like Im doing ok so far; made orange and pineapple juice for breakfast, had a smoothie and soup for lunch, and yoghurt for morning tea. The idea of chewing scares me to hell at the moment, so Im sticking with liquids or food that can be swallowed whole, like rice. Im sure in a few days it will be better, its just too tender right now...

The only problem now is that Im at a uni thing for dinner, and pizza is on the menu. Im going to be a bit creative about that one...

blackcat20

#7 Post by blackcat20 »

Things are starting to improve, I think :)

My teeth are gradually becoming less tender, but there is still no way that I can chew. The blisters inside my mouth are just fantastic, but Im waxing the upper brackets are causing the problem. Unfortunately I left my wax at uni yesterday, and havent found anywhere that sells it yet...

Had a huge dinner (risotto) last night which was a big mistake; Ive eaten very lightly for three days, so to suddenly have a big meal made me feel quite off....

blackcat20

#8 Post by blackcat20 »

Ive definately learnt my lesson about large meals :oops:

Good news though, found the wax at priceline, so I grabbed a couple; one for home, one for uni, and one for the handbag. that way I shouldnt get caught out again.

Ive noticed that the general tooth ache is almost gone; they are still a little tender but nothing like two days ago. Still cant chew anything tougher than mashed potato, but getting there. At least my back teeth on one side actually tough now, if I puff my cheek out first. The sores are getting better to as Im gradually working out which teeth need wax...

Finally got some photos sorted, one from the day before, and one from today (day 5).
I didnt have major crookedness issues, just my front teeth were a bit lower than the rest, and the right-hand tooth was pushed forward a little. That was due to the moved slowly being undertaken by my lower teeth; one was pushed upwards, and there was a bit of a cross-over happening. Nothing I couldnt have lived with, but I figure I didnt go through about 10 years of ortho treatment to still have crooked teeth...

blackcat20

#9 Post by blackcat20 »

Went in for my first post-bracing x-rays today. The lady asked me to clench my back teeth together. Pity they dont reach at moment, due to my front teeth hitting my bottom brackets. She had to go away and ask someone what to do :?

blackcat20

#10 Post by blackcat20 »

No idea, but probably becuase the ortho didnt have one before my braces went on. My dentist got one done, but it didnt arrive at the ortho in time for my appointment, so that had a chat on the phone, and proceeded with the bracing. I guess this is to see exactly what the plan is...

blackcat20

#11 Post by blackcat20 »

After 10 days in braces, I noticed that the tooth that was most out of place had moved! :D One of my lower front teeth was sitting up higher than the rest of the teeth, and already it is back down in line with its neighbours. Its no wonder those teeth have been so sore; its been two weeks and I still cant really bit food.

Before braces:

After 10 days:

Its moved so much that someone actually comented on it without me pointing it out 8)

blackcat20

#12 Post by blackcat20 »

Ive hit the 5 week mark today, which is very exciting, especially as there has been a fair bit of movement happening. My lower front teeth look like they are all back in line now, although they are not "centered"; they never have been so im not too fussed. I think my upper front teeth are finally moving upwards in line with my other top teeth. The only downside is the archwire sticking into my cheek on the lower left, i only noticed it today so Ill have to organise to go and get it snipped, especially as my next appointment is four weeks away :shock:

The only other concern I have at the moment is the cost of my treatment; when I went in for a consult I was told about $2500, yet my bill says $5800 which is a lot for an unemployed student. There is also the fact that this is my second time around, and I wouldnt have to do it again if my bottom permanent retainer hadnt been removed (by the same ortho) in the first place :x I figure when i go in to get clipped I can at least ask about it, the worst thing they could say is tough luck...

Kimber

#13 Post by Kimber »

Hi Blackcat -- that sucks about the cost. These things aren't cheap, unfortunately. I'm on my second go-round, too, only it's been about 30 years. My teeth started moving, too, in my 20s and they've just gotten worse and worse. So -- be thankful you're doing it now because the longer you wait, the longer it will take to move those babies back into place! :D

I was reading through this thread and had to laugh at KK's praise for salt water. I've got another one to add to the list. I went to Hawaii about 10 years ago and came down with the chickenpox on my second day there. I guess if you're going to be sick, paradise is the place to do it. Anyway, being in the saltwater ocean really healed up the sores quickly. Of course, I had to find nice, isolated beaches because I was not only not very pretty to look at, I was contagious.

Good luck, Blackcat -- sorry for hi-jacking your post!
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

carzfrm60s

#14 Post by carzfrm60s »

Blackcat20 know exactly what your going thru my problem is very similar to yours. I do not have a way as yet to post pictures,but by seeing yours noticed very like problems. I am in my second week now and understand the eating issues.Don,t remember all this the first 2 times.Hope everything goes well for you.

Kimber

#15 Post by Kimber »

KK -- don't you wish you could go back in time and talk to him and find out all those secrets? The ocean is certainly a very healing place.
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!