Do Damon System or ICE brackets break off more?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KittyW

#16 Post by KittyW »

I have had problems with the doors opening, though. Mostly the problem was the tech. being a complete ditz. If the ortho or tech. working on you isn't experienced with the brackets then they're not going to work well for you.
Dittos on that. My tech was always afraid to ask the ortho or another tech to help her open or close Damons that were being stubborn. Half way thru my treatment I would just tell her to ask someone for help. Some people are more proficient opening and closing Damon brackets.

As far as brackets coming off...most of mine were lower brackets and I chomped off the clear plastic on several during my treatment. Go for all metal Damons on the bottom if you can. I wish I had that option when I got braced!
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

JaneBy

#17 Post by JaneBy »

I've been in Damon 2s for 22 months. I've had one door break off (but I hadn't even noticed until the ortho assistant pointed it out at an adjustment appointment). None of the brackets have broken off. The ortho has just been using a wire tie on the one bracket with the missing door.

braced4asmile

#18 Post by braced4asmile »

I've had Damon 3's on for a week now. I went in for a check today and little did I know that I had a loose bracket. The tech pulled it off, scraped off the tooth and grinded down the cement. Since my teeth are sensitive from the new braces, it hurt a bit, but was tolerable.

I was surprised that one was loose since I didn't feel any different. They said it's usually during the first 48 hours to week that there might be loosening or another problem with the brackets. When I had them put on, about 4 of them didn't take, so they had to scrape, grind, etc each one again. Think a lot of it was that I had a mouth full of saliva and they needed to have the teeth dry.

The Damons seem to work fast. I'm already feeling my teeth loosening up and the tech who did my mold said that she could see that they are already moving!

braced4asmile

#19 Post by braced4asmile »

I've had Damon 3's on for a week now. I went in for a check today and little did I know that I had a loose bracket. The tech pulled it off, scraped off the tooth and grinded down the cement. Since my teeth are sensitive from the new braces, it hurt a bit, but was tolerable.

I was surprised that one was loose since I didn't feel any different. They said it's usually during the first 48 hours to week that there might be loosening or another problem with the brackets. When I had them put on, about 4 of them didn't take, so they had to scrape, grind, etc each one again. Think a lot of it was that I had a mouth full of saliva and they needed to have the teeth dry.

The Damons seem to work fast. I'm already feeling my teeth loosening up and the tech who did my mold said that she could see that they are already moving!

Caroline

#20 Post by Caroline »

I have Inspire Ice on top and bottom, and none have broken so far. The assistant chipped one at my last appointment while popping off my back brackets on top in order to make the mould for my retainer though. No biggie, just have to live with it for another three weeks...
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

Betty Bat

#21 Post by Betty Bat »

I'm 53, turning 54 next month, so I'm in your range.

I have sapphire uppers and metal lowers. I've never broken or lost a bracket on either. I have Damon 2's and I'm one of the folks who have had trouble with the doors sticking. I had to have one bracket replaced because neither the assistant nor the ortho could get the wire to fit in, when I was getting a larger wire. The ortho thought there was a problem with the bracket itself.

But, I'm also one of the big plaque producers (you can call me "Betty Plaque") and my dental check-ups are proof of this!

I'll second everyone who has said that a lot of what happens to you depends on you, your body chemistry, your brackets and wires, your ortho, ...

This makes it kind of hard to generalize what might happen to you. I'm still pretty happy with what I've got. Just got back from my ortho where I had x-rays taken so he could check my progress AND I'M DOING WELL! I'm going to have several brackets repositioned on Monday, based on the x-ray results.

Still hate my elastics, though.

Lee54

#22 Post by Lee54 »

Betty Bat, were you taking any calcium supplements that might have caused a calcium build-up on the brackets along with plaque? I'm wondering if Citrical pills affect that, as when I upped my dose once, I started getting a new white plaque on the insides of my front lower teeth, and my hygienist said that can happen with high calcium intake.

Betty Bat

#23 Post by Betty Bat »

Well, I'll be darned, Lee54! I do take calcium supplements - two Tums a day. I hadn't thought about that.