How long

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HONEYGIRL

How long

#1 Post by HONEYGIRL »

How long did it take to get your braces on from your initial consultation visit? Was it 2 weeks from your first visit, a month?

HONEYGIRL

#2 Post by HONEYGIRL »

KK wrote:Initially it was to be between a week and a fortnight, but I had to make it nearly six weeks, due to a delay in getting a dental check, a hygienist appointment for a clean and more indepth x-rays of my impacted canine.

My ortho was great, and just rescheduled, coz he wanted me to have these things done first ... we just didn't expect there to be such a wait.
Hi, Kiwi! Thanks so much for the reply! NOW, where is everbody else? :lol:

mostro

#3 Post by mostro »

with me it was about 3 weeks because I had to buy the braces myself.

fitchick

#4 Post by fitchick »

Hi Honeygirl,

It took me 3 weeks. Week 1 was the spacers, week 2 the brackets and remaining few spacers and week 3 the brace. I've read so many posts on here where others have had bits done in stages. With hindsight, I'm glad its that way as it has given me time to adjust to each bit at a time.

Good Luck,

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OneTime

#5 Post by OneTime »

Two weeks to get braces for me.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

adollface

#6 Post by adollface »

My consult was in September and my braces went on in December. But that was all me. I had to save some money for the down payment. Once I called to make the appointment it was a week. Had moulds and x-rays done on a Tuesday and was braced on Wednesday. Was pretty fast. No time to freak out and think oh my gosh what am I doing to myself.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12/16/04

Kimber

#7 Post by Kimber »

I went about a month and a half. I did the consult, decided to go with them and had molds done and xrays taken about a week later. My next appointment was in about a month (mainly because my ortho was taking vacation during that time). At that point I had spacers put in and we went over all the results of molds and xrays and measurements and discussed the plan of action. A week later I had uppers put on and lower molar bands. I'm not sure yet when I'll get lower brackets.
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

nvcarissa

#8 Post by nvcarissa »

Hoo boy...I think I am the longest between consult and braces. I originally went to the ortho in April of 2004 and he told me I would need surgery...so I pretty much gave it up. However, I went on vacation in November of 2004 and when the pictures came back I was really unhappy with the way my smile looked. That wasn't the only time. In addition, I noticed my teeth really shifting inward on my right side and I was constantly having headaches and jaw pain, so I went back to the ortho with the idea of getting the ball rolling. Well, it was getting to the holiday season and it took me a while to do TWO consults with the oral surgeon, then I had to wait on insurance approval, as the ortho would not do the braces without the surgery, so I finally got my braces on May 11, 2005. So, if you count from the initial consult...about thirteen months, but from the November consult...about six months.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

jaswi

#9 Post by jaswi »

Initial consult may first, final consult may 15th , top front 8 brackets+8 top spacers june 19th, top bands and wire june 26th, bottoms start in 1-3 months.

invisagirl

#10 Post by invisagirl »

I think I waited around 1.5 months. Met with the ortho mid-July, met with a few other ortho's, made my decision to go with the first person, then had to wait to get x-rays done (beg. of Aug), get spacers (mid-Aug), and then get braced Aug 22nd.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

About three months, but there were the Christmas and New Year holidays in between which, in Australia, means that everything closes down for most of January.

SueFromNJ

4 months wait for me

#12 Post by SueFromNJ »

I decided in November 2002 to finally "get rid of my fangs" and get braces. I met with my ortho for the inital consultation in very early December 2002. Got the news that I needed 8 extractions, which surprised me! I thought I would get some sort of palate expander device, but nope! Couldn't start braces until after the extractions. Needed to contact an oral surgeon now. Like another poster said, then the holidays started in December/January, so everyone was closed for three weeks around Hanukkah/Christmas. Finally got through to the oral surgeon the second week of January. Finally got the extractions in late February, but had lots of complications. Didn't heal enough to get braces until the late March.

So from consult to braces was just about four months. I remember being very frustrated at all the waiting, especially around the holidays. Wish I could take three weeks off in a row like my ortho and oral surgeon! I wanted to get started as soon as possible to finally give me a nice smile, but had so much waiting! :(

But it all paid off - I just got debraced and I have my new smile now! It isn't perfect, but still worth everything! :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

jennandtonic

#13 Post by jennandtonic »

My initial consultation was in October of 2005. I decided to go with Dr. Greer because of the many people who told me that they were very happy with how their teeth turned out. Her recommendation was to get one tooth from each quadrant taken out, and that I should also ask the surgeon if taking out wisdom teeth woudl be a good idea.
She also recommended an oral surgeon and even said she would call him and let him know I'd be calling soon. She told me that I needed to wait 3 weeks after getting the teeth out to make an appointment with her, to make sure swelling went down, and also to make sure no other complications came up.

I had all four of those teeth plus my wisdom teeth taken out on Dec. 19th of 2005 (I didn't get to eat all that much holiday food for Christmas!), and three weeks later in early January I made an appointment to get my spacers in.

I got my braces on February 2nd, so that's ...four or five months.

36nBraced

#14 Post by 36nBraced »

would have been 2 weeks but the doc had an emergency so i had to come in the following week. so far i only have my top braces. i have to get a free tissue gum graft on 2 of my bottom teeth and a deep cleaning on a back tooth. after my gums heal, i can get my bottom braces so i expect to have them sometime in august. in a way, i'm kinda glad it played out this way, now i know what to expect rather so i should be able to manage the discomfort better. my first adjustment for my top teeth is on aug 10...yikes!

hannah164

#15 Post by hannah164 »

WEll, I had my consultation and my ortho decided to put top braces on and spacers the same day! :shock: HE decided I was such a complicated case that we needed to get started right away! :roll: IT was pretty sudden but he made it seem so urgent so I went along with it! :lol:

~hAnnah

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next appointment: bonding left upper second molar!