OMG what have I done?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

OMG what have I done?

#1 Post by Lisa65 »

I start my treatment on Tuesday 27th June when I will be having separators put between my back teeth. Then on July 4th I will have the molar bands put on and on the 14th I will be braced.

I have a 8mm overjet, a deep bite, crossbite on the sides, and my lower midline is off to one side, I also have gaps from premolar extraction and unsuccessful orthodontric treatment in my teens.

My treatment plan says I will need

upper and lower fixed appliances
a palatal arch
bite turbos
miniscrew implants (to be done at a later date)

I am kind of excited about starting because at 40 I have been self-conscious about my wonky teeth all my life - but it seems from reading through posts here that i have a long ordeal in front of me!

Oh well......no pain no gain (or so I hope)

Thanks for reading

Lisa :D

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Welcome, its always great to see another UK member.

I had a 9mm overjet and a complete overbite with a class II division I maloclusion. My overjet is down to around 4mm, my bite is not as bad but i've had to live with headgear as well as 4 extractions. But ive hated my teeth and even now after the improvements i still feel they stick out way too much.

So anyway, the spacers will be really annouing and the first few days may be uncomfortable but just remember the beautiful smile you'll have at the end of it. Are you having NHS treatment or private?

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

Hello! Welcome to the boards! You'll find tons of support here :wink:
Good luck and post some pics if u can 4 us! Don't be ashamed, we all hated our teeth be4 we started!
Take care,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Thanks for the welcome Angel, Karen and LucyLoop :D

I am having private treatment - although my teeth are wonky they don't give me any trouble. I don't think I would have been able to get treatment on the NHS.

I've just got my husband to take some pics with his digital camera of my teeth as they are now, before treatment starts. I will get him to do a pic every month or so to see how things are progressing.

Then if I get fed up with sore mouth and not being able to eat sweets I will be able to look and see what progress has been made.

Henna_the_braceface

#5 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

My 4th adjustment is on the 4th July when u get your molar bands. sorry just had to add that random comment! :D

Henna_the_braceface

#6 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Anyway welcome to the forum! :D

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

OK here is one of the pics hubby took...... I felt too embarrassed to post it but as you say everyone here will have started out the same!

I am hoping next time I post any pics then they will be a LOT nicer!
Thanks for your kind welcome everyone.

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

I know this isn't much consolation, but I don't think your teeth aren't too bad at all! :D They're nice & white!
Thanks Lucy lol that's about the one positive thing my ortho found to say when he first saw my teeth - that they were lovely and clean.

fitchick

#9 Post by fitchick »

Hi Lisa,

It's me from up the road!

All of us have thought 'OMG what am I doing'? By the end of this journey we will all be saying 'I wish I had done this years ago'. It is a fairly long time, but it is time well spent, and everyday there are little things going on that are moving us that much closer to our goal. I am also having top and bottom braces, the palatal arch, and have a dare I say it, overjet of 13mm! I'm in week 4 today and I have just noticed in the last few days that my lower teeth have gone from higgeldy piggeldy to a perfect arch. That makes it all worthwhile. If I can figure out how to post photos then I will.

In the meantime, concentrate on your goal rather than the time factor, what a positive thing you are doing for yourself and do salt water rinses to ease the journey. Oh, and I think your teeth look ok too!

Keep us posted with your progress. Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

OMG Julie lol I didn't expect to find anyone else from Hants! I am in Fareham.

nvcarissa

#11 Post by nvcarissa »

Welcome to the journey Lisa! It will go so much faster than you ever thought it could, and at the end...a beautiful smile! :D

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

fitchick

#12 Post by fitchick »

Hi Lisa,

I'm in Gosport!!!!! Are you seeing David Gale?

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

Yes I am Julie! I told him about finding an online forum and he asked me for the link so he could tell his other patients about it.
He seems like a nice guy.

fitchick

#14 Post by fitchick »

How funny is that? I must tell him when I'm there next (20 July). I'm 40 next month so we'll probably find out next that we were in the same class at school!

I am very happy with my treatment from David so far. They are a very friendly team of people and it gives me a lot of confidence. There is another lady on here from Southampton that I have posted. We're everywhere!

May see you in the waiting room sometime.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

Lisa65

#15 Post by Lisa65 »

LOL well I'll tell him on Tuesday when I go for the separators. I'm not from Hants originally (came down from Essex in 2000) so I doubt we met at school :P but yup maybe we will meet at the surgery sometime :D