Extra Calcium??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eaglesoaring

Extra Calcium??

#1 Post by eaglesoaring »

I was wondering...should we all be taking extra Calcium during our treatment? It seems to me that, with our teeth/roots being moved, we'd need extra Calcium to help with any Calcium loss during the process.

I do take a vitamin every day, but just wondering what you all thought. I WILL pose this question to my Ortho.

eagle

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

My ortho never mentioned any calcium supplements during treatment......let us know what your ortho says.

eaglesoaring

#3 Post by eaglesoaring »

Pirate Wench- I'll let you know what Ortho says about the Calcium!

Lucy- That's funny! No sun, and no Calcium? C'mon, girlie! Drink some milk! Eat some cheese! Have a Smoothie!! Then, go for a walk on an incredibly beautiful beach, with AQUA water, with a couple of hottie men on your arms! Oh, wait...that might be MY fantasy! LOL!!

Thanks for the replies, ladies! I'll keep you posted on that.
eagle

eaglesoaring

#4 Post by eaglesoaring »

Hi all. Just talked with Ortho's asst. She asked Ortho about the extra Calcium. He (Ortho) said that it wouldn't hurt to take more Calcium. Although, the asst. has been doing this for 20 years or so, and she's never heard of Calcium being "prescribed" during treatment. She said if I normally take a multi-vitamin, to continue doing so. I guess it's really up to the individual, and so, since it won't hurt (unless I take too much Calcuim), I think I'll kick up my Calcium intake a notch.

eagle

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I think everyone should take calcium if they don't get it in their diet. I shy away from milk and cheese because I am allergic and lactose intolerant. Cheese doesn't bother me as much as milk, yogurt, sour cream, but I'm not about to eat lots of cheese because it would be too much saturated fat in my diet.

Anywho, most calcium supplements have vitamin D in them, so you shouldn't worry too much about that.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Kimber

#6 Post by Kimber »

I think I'm probably getting enough from all the ice cream and mac n cheese I've been eating! :D
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

Attagirl2

#7 Post by Attagirl2 »

Kimber, you would be surprised at how little calcium is in ice cream. We should all be getting between 1000 and 1500 mgs of calcium a day. Take some time to figure out how much you are getting in what you eat. Then supplement. Take this from someone who has to be treated for bone loss. Oh, and by the way, men get osteoporosis, too! I finally got my husband to get a heal test (because he had lost height), and he had the worst bone loss that they had seen. (I had him ask the doctor for a bone density test and the doctor told him men don't get osteoporosis. I know for a fact that they do be cause my brother and uncle had it).
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Lee54

#8 Post by Lee54 »

I recently had a SpectraCell nutrient test done and found despite taking multivitamins and Citrical with D that I was deficient in both calcium, D, and zinc. When I upped the amount I was taking, I started getting more tartar or white build-up on the inside of my lower teeth that I had not had before, so it may affect the Damons gates negatively if I up the dose with them on. A friend who is very careful about her diet found she was developing osteoporosis (57) because she was deficient in B12, which is essential to proper absorption of the calcium. Adequate Vitamin K is also important to its absorption as well. I have also added some special enzymes to see if that improves my calicum digestion/absorption, and will be getting outside more to try to get some sun so my body will make its own vit. D.

Lee54

#9 Post by Lee54 »

KK, that's interesting that you don't absorb Vit. C. Have you looked into any special enzymes supplements? There's a special German product out called "Rechts Regulat" --you can google for more info on that. Some lyme patients say it was crucial to helping them get well, building their immune systems by aiding digestion chemistry to get the necessary nutrients to it. Tastes pretty bad, and not cheap, though...like all too many of the "alternative/natural" products!
Last edited by Lee54 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicholeuf

#10 Post by nicholeuf »

I take the GNC Women's Ultra Mega and I live off of milk products, so I think I'm covered!

Lee54

#11 Post by Lee54 »

KK, I empathize with your pain at leaving Fiji--gorgeous place! Although I must say, I don't miss those awful sea snakes we had swimming about in front of our seaside hotel once--sure put a damper on wanting to do any swimming. I agree that the mind/body connection is very important in health, and I've been working on that also.

Lee54

#12 Post by Lee54 »

Interesting--but now you've got me wondering about just what we ate while there! I was already a bit nervous about parasites possibly in the raw fish they fed us (pickled in some acidic juice), and don't recall eatoing any curry. What's it got, lots of insects & their eggs?

BTW, I accidentally mispelled the German enzyme mixture I told you about earlier--no letter i in Rechts Regulat. I went back and corrected the earlier post for the sake of others. Sorry!