Extreme sensitivity to cold

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Silverware

Extreme sensitivity to cold

#1 Post by Silverware »

For the past few days I've had extreme sensitivity to cold on my bottom jaw only on the right side. I have an expander on my upper palete and the right arm has bent down so that i hit it with my bottom molars when i bite down. It seems like I may have made some sort of gash in my bottom molar by doing this, because the pain is so exteme on my bottom molars on that side when I drink any cold liquids (even slightly cool). Any ideas? I'm going to call my ortho on monday, but I was wondering if you guys had an similar experiences or might know what this is.

I've bought some Orajel (Night-time relief-long term) to rub on when I need to eat/drink.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

It's funny that you mention this. I can't say I am experiencing severe sensitivity to cold...but I did notice some sensitivity to cold after getting the braces. I know I don't have any cavities because it was all taken care off...I should bring this up with my dentist or ortho...very strange :roll:

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Silverware

#3 Post by Silverware »

Well, this is extreme. After brushing my teeth this afternoon I went to rinse my mouth out with cold water... forgetting about it for a second... and I nearly doubled over in pain. It lasts several seconds then compeltely subsides. It's awful!

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Yeah definitely talk to your ortho, if I were you I would call the dentist and see if he/she can see you...

Good luck!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

You may have slightly eroded the gum, exposing the tooth necks (this was what caused my hypersensitivity).

If so, the only solution is to wait for the exposed part to calcify. You can speed this up getting regular fluoride treatments, getting fluoride varnish put on, and using a special high-fluoride toothpaste, mouthwash and gel. I use a brand called Emoform.

You can also try using GC Tooth Mousse or similar "Recaldent"-containing product.

I found that my sensitivity got better after braces, because the gum often swells a bit, and in my case seemed to recover the problem tooth.

This neck exposure can be pretty much impossible to see with the naked or untrained eye. It only takes a tiny fraction of tooth neck to be exposed for the most agonising hypersensitivity to occur. I had problems even with room temperature water - basically anything below or much above mouth temperature was hell.

Silverware

#6 Post by Silverware »

weird_wired wrote:You may have slightly eroded the gum, exposing the tooth necks (this was what caused my hypersensitivity).

If so, the only solution is to wait for the exposed part to calcify. You can speed this up getting regular fluoride treatments, getting fluoride varnish put on, and using a special high-fluoride toothpaste, mouthwash and gel. I use a brand called Emoform.

You can also try using GC Tooth Mousse or similar "Recaldent"-containing product.

I found that my sensitivity got better after braces, because the gum often swells a bit, and in my case seemed to recover the problem tooth.

This neck exposure can be pretty much impossible to see with the naked or untrained eye. It only takes a tiny fraction of tooth neck to be exposed for the most agonising hypersensitivity to occur. I had problems even with room temperature water - basically anything below or much above mouth temperature was hell.
That would explain it. I do have full braces as well, though. Also, if I look very closely at my back lower molar, it looks like there is a small notch on the crown. Mind you, I could be seeing things, but I am leaning toward the explanation that the expander arm that has shifted downward took a chunk out of my tooth after constant contact (biting.. clentching, etc).

I have learned to drink cold drinks virtually pain free-with a straw! If I shove the straw far far back in my mouth I can have the drink almost go straight down my throat. It's a bit tricky getting the straw out without pouring liquid into the hurting area, but I've gottne the hang of it.

The good news is that I'll be going to the ortho's office tommorow early morning. I called and left a message on the machine that I'll be coming in, so I hope they're ready for me! My hope is that he'll just fill it with some acrylic, or something else to correct the problem. My second hope is that the reason the expander is shifting down is that my palete will not expand anymore, so he has to take off the expander to prevent further damage. That would be an amazing day! :D

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

Part of my problem was worsening the erosion by overscrubbing - because I thought the sensitivity indicated bad hygience/decacy, so I started a vicious cycle.

I remember taking a trip to wintry Germany when I couldn't even breathe with my mouth properly because the air was so cold it hurt.

Silverware

#8 Post by Silverware »

It's been cold here (Canada eh) and breathing outside causes pain. I went in today and they were closed. I guess everyone is on holidays this week! Luckily, they must have checked the office messages because they called me and said I could come in tommorow... right before the ortho leaves for vacation.

Geri

#9 Post by Geri »

Hi Sliverware....I've experienced this extream sensitivity to cold too (I posted on a thread about it a while ago - sorry I would find it but only have a moment).

I'd never had this colness problem before then one day - OUCH - a cold drink had me in agony for several seconds. It really was breath-taking and made me avoid ice-cubes like the plague for a while.

I think it was because of my teeth moving from the braces...I have never over-brushed or had teeth problems before (well, apart from a couple of fillings).

A few weeks of max strength sensodyne toothpaste and I was back to normal-ish....I still don't use cold water in my water-pik, but I do eat ice-cream with no ill effects.

So, I hope your sensitivity gets better soon too. :D
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

airxjordan24

#10 Post by airxjordan24 »

i've been braced for about 4months now, and just experienced this sharp pain when i drank a class of cold water. Ouch :(
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

akabraces

yikes and ouccch!

#11 Post by akabraces »

ouchhhH!!!!!!!!!

my tooth is killinnnng me, especially
when i have cold things--does that
mean a filling fell out? ugh!
have you ever had this?????