Plate on the roof of my mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Simon

Plate on the roof of my mouth

#1 Post by Simon »

Hi there, This forum is really useful. I had my top braces put on about a month ago and soon will go back to have the bottom braces fitted. I've been given a plate to wear on the roof of my mouth so I can get used to it. Once the bottom braces are fitted, I'll have to wear this plate permanently for up to four months, so that I don't bite my bottom braces off by accident. I understand the plate will also make my top teeth less crowded.

I can get used to having braces, but feel really self-conscious wearing the plate. My speech sounds very different and I feel nervous talking to other people, as I slurr my words. Also the plate is going to make it very hard to chew, as my molars won't meet.

Any hints on how to deal with these issues?

blondie111

#2 Post by blondie111 »

Hi Simon!

I don't have one of those bite plates, but I hear you get used to them fairly quickly, as your speech will too. I had a palate expander when I was a kid, and that was the same....... thought I would NEVER eat or talk normal again, but I did....just took a few days, maybe a week.

Hang in there, sorry I'm not much help, but welcome to the boards! :wink:

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Hi, i used to have 2 appliances that covered the roof of my mouth a few years ago when i recieved pre treatment as a kid. Basically my speech was really bad and i hated wearing it, but the more i got used to it the better my speech became. Just wear it at home at first and keep talking out aloud, try reading a book aloud. In the end my speech was normal and i could say seven sizzling sausages without a lisp.

Good luck.

fitchick

#4 Post by fitchick »

You and me both Simon. I had my lower brace fitted this morning, and with it came the plate. What a bonus? I have the same reservations as you. I've been advised to talk and talk and talk and............an easy thing for women!!! Within a few days things should start to get better. I am dreading talking with this lisp for the rest of my life, but I'm sure its something we'll get used to, and in time we'll be back to normal. The Sssssss are the hardest. It's comforting to know that we're not the only ones.

Thanks Dark-Angel, I'm practising the sizzling sausages!!

Julie

Simon

#5 Post by Simon »

Thanks everyone for the useful replies; much appreciated! It's good to know that other people feel the same way. I agree that the s sounds are the most difficult to pronounce. Like I said, I can get used to the braces, but the plate is something altogether more difficult. I guess it'll become easier over time.

I do have another concern. As one of the uses of the plate is to stop me biting off my lower braces, isn't it going to be more difficult to chew, as my molars won't meet? I'm thinking the best solution is to take it off when I'm eating and be extra careful. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

I'm having the same problem eating. My ortho advised only to remove the plate to clean it and to eat all meals with it in. I suppose it helps to get used to it and will maximise the work its doing. My teeth don't meet to chew, the best I can do is to swirl food round and round in my mouth until its soft enough to swallow. It'll get easier I'm sure if we persevere.

My plate fits snuggly against my 2 front teeth and it feels like they're being pushed forward. Is yours the same? I hope they're not pushing forward as I already have a 13mm overjet. Ortho went on holiday today so I can't do much about it yet.

Keep with it. The support on here will help.

Dark_angel

#7 Post by Dark_angel »

Once your bottom teeth are braced you can start with elastics etc to change your bite so more of your teeth will meet. You'll be amazed how fast it happens.

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

talk and talk and talk and............an easy thing for women!!!
Because we all know stereotypes are true.

- Missing Tooth -

Simon

#9 Post by Simon »

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I found this website - it's really useful!

In answer to your question, Fitchick, my plate pushes against my two front teeth, but in my case this is a good thing I have an underbite with these teeth. I also feel embarrassed speaking, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The end will justify the means. I'll be glad when I don't have to wear that plate!

I'm having treatment for two years, so figure the first will be most challenging as I get used to the temporary inconvenience of the plate and then have orthognathic surgery at the end of the first year. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Sugarplum

#10 Post by Sugarplum »

I had the plate too for 6 months at the beginning of my treatment. I couldn't remove it and at first it was a nightmare as I was lisping continuously. Something that helped me was singing to myself all the time at home. Eventually the lisp went away!
Good luck and remember it's not for ever :D

fitchick

#11 Post by fitchick »

Thanks KK, I've been looking for that passage. I'd read it a while back in an earlier posting.

Thanks SugarPlum, I'll have to make sure no-ones listening!

Julie

juf_84

#12 Post by juf_84 »

Thanks KK, I'm going to copy the passage for use after B-Day!

Best of luck with your plate, Simon.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

secondround

plate fun

#13 Post by secondround »

Hey I just got my lowers and the dreaded plate installed.

I thought I was gonna throw up...but I started to get used to it. The worst part so far is the hook thingy on one side that made a big ol' canker sore. I am trying so hard not to move my mouth at all...so I don't hurt myself. OUCH!

I have the wax and the orabase flowing...AND still this one is killer.

YEAH..the plate does feel like its pressing against a couple of my front teeth when I bite down on it. The teeth are not the ones dead center though....and they feel lose and sore now. MORE OUCH!

I am so shocked that I have done this to myself...

:-+

Full tilt metal w/ bite plate
Uppers placed May 12, 2006
Lowers placed June 1, 2006

bracefacesteve

#14 Post by bracefacesteve »

sorry to tell ya but i had something that is ment to do the same thing (rickanator) and my speech didnt get better till it came off

MyBracesMakeMeSad

Re: Plate on the roof of my mouth

#15 Post by MyBracesMakeMeSad »

I have a metal plate on the roof of my mouth and it is permanently connected to my top braces. It cause me so much pain and I've had it for several months. It is constantly putting pressure on the roof of my mouth and makes me die inside. Anyone else have this problem?