Length of Discomfort after Adjustments

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennandtonic

Length of Discomfort after Adjustments

#1 Post by jennandtonic »

I wanted to ask how long everyone usually feels pain/if they feel pain after adjustments.

So far after most of my adjustments I've felt a little pain, not much, and am usually eating just fine a day after. I like that, but at the same time it sometimes feels like no pain=no gain!

How about everyone else? What has your experience been like?

JayC

#2 Post by JayC »

hmmm... usually the longer youre braced each adjustment is less painful cuz your teeth are straighter than before and when you get a stronger wire, your arch is relatively good already. its the first adjustment/first time getting braced thats most annoying imo.. I also think the spacers are more painful than any of the adjustments.. i just hate those rubber things heheh.

OneTime

#3 Post by OneTime »

Every adjustment when I have wires changed, it will sore for a day.
It will sore, but its not noticable.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

hannah164

#4 Post by hannah164 »

I think because of my ortho pulling on Billy (my impacted bicuspid) :) and my other impacted teeth my teeth are usually pretty sore after an adjustment! They usually staty sore for about 3 days! The day after being the worst! :roll:

~hAnnah

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next appointment: bonding left upper second molar!

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

Very little pain here, sometimes I get pain a day or two later. Mild mouth irriation from time to time. Nothing unmanageable.

- Missing Tooth -

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I had pain for about a week after my first adjustment. Then I didn't have pain until they put me in a rectangular wire. That was REALLY painful for a few days.

Now I only have a tight feeling after adjustments and absolutely no pain unless I have my elastics in.

oops, I forgot to put those back in after breakfast :roll: anyway...

Kiwi is right, a while back with the old docs there was a thread about pain. The doc said that the teeth move better when there is no pain because (I am paraphrasing a memory here so be patient with me) the ligaments aren't pulling back as hard or something like that. No pain simply means no pain.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Iceolated

#7 Post by Iceolated »

The only pain I really experienced with my first adjustment was when they took the ligatures off. Because you have to strech them slightly to get them off the brackets that was a sort of pressure-related discomfort.

When they put a compression spring between my first molar and bicuspid, I had some pressure there for about ten minutes. Other than that I was eating the same day with no discomfort.

The only thing that really reminds me I have braces (besides digging food out of them :)) is that I can't eat on my backmost molars. Because they have an arch expander and the arch-wire attached to them, they are the most sensitive of all my teeth.

Cheers,

ICE

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

Aurelia

#8 Post by Aurelia »

For me personally the adjustments have been the worst part, I have come to terms with the brace and dont really notice it anymore other than when the wires start to rip the inside of my cheeks up! My last adjustment, my 4th one, was horrible, it felt like my ortho was putting so much pressure on my teeth and pulling and moving and I couldnt sink into the chair any further, I even said 'ouch' at one point and he said sorry! I think I felt it a lot more as my teeth have really been loose and moving and to me it really felt like he was going to break my teeth when he was adjusting them!! He also put what looks like an extra wire on one side as I have a big tooth there that needs rotating. When I got home I also noticed that he had somehow pulled my 2 front teeth in to close the gap more, something which was taking ages on its own.
I am really not looking forward to the next one. :(
All good things come to those that wait

Skinny

#9 Post by Skinny »

Well I have only had one adjustment so far but it wasnt painful afterward I did get a head acke but I have TMJ really bad and it was problly from opening my mouth for so long while the adjustment took place.
I got a squeare wire on my top teeth but there wasnt any pain, I think its discomfert at times but not painful, And some advil always helps.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

Even after being braced for 2 years I still get aching pain (only one side of my mouth) , many times its days after the adjustment and it can last minutes or hours or days. Its not pain where you need codeine but its a dull pain that you know is there and makes you uncomfortable. The elastic phases are the worst but only for several days until your jaw muscles get accustomed to the pressure. Although some configerations are worse than others.

I try to divert my attention and that helps.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

CLAmom

#11 Post by CLAmom »

I've had pain from the last 2 adjustments. One time the assistant was so rough with me and the tool cracked against my molar so that was her fault and I refuse to let her work on me again. The second time one of my molars is now so "wonky" that the ortho had trouble threading the square wire through the bracket and that was painful. Both times I felt okay again by the end of the day so no worries. I look forward to every adjustment regardless of any discomfort. I love to find out what new gear I'll get because it means progress. So far it's just been wire & lig changes and a couple of different powerchains. I'll probably change my tune once the elastics are on!! :lol: :shock:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

jcdamon3

#12 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have pain for at least 3 days after getting an adjustment. What I mean by adjustment is a bracket repositioned or a new, stronger, thicker wire or new teeth (like molars) engaged. I don't think I have ever had an adjustment that didn't at least hurt enough to not want to take a big bite out of a sandwich, but not bad enough to take ibuprofen.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!