Crowns or tooth bonding negatively affected by braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lee54

Crowns or tooth bonding negatively affected by braces?

#1 Post by Lee54 »

Has anyone had a crown or tooth bonding (for chipped tooth) negatively affected by getting braces? Did they need to be replaced due to bite changes, or ever come off during treatment, or prohibit brackets being placed (vs. bands)? Thanks for any help or experiences you can share.

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Lee, I can give you and answer to a couple of your posts. I had Damon 3's put on in November of 04. I also have four gold crowns - all my first molars. The Damon's did not stay on the crowns and they had to be banded. (The more I chewed on each side, the sooner the brackets popped off). The bands have been great. I only had one other bracket go bad, ad that one separated.

My biggest problem has been that I evidently make a LOT of tartar and it jams the bracket doors. I am pretty my problem is not the norm, although all of us make tartar.

My orthodontist told me that I will NOT have to get my crowns replaced unless I want too. He is working with me on that (I asked him if he could save the crowns). What he told me was: If you want cadillac crowns, replace them. If you want Fords, leave them - I chose to leave them. I think they are up to $1000 a pop!

I would say if your crowns are on your molars, just get them banded and don't even try to glue the brackets on - it has been quite a setback for me.

Good luck.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Lee54

#3 Post by Lee54 »

Thanks for your prompt reply, Attagirl. I spoke with a Damon 3 sales rep today who is also wearing them, and he said he has his crown molars banded himself, so I think you are right that I should expect to have to do that. I asked him about the bonding problems, and he said they have since improved the Damon 3s bonding and he has not had any problem with his-- on for 18 mo. now.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Lee, I have a porcelain crown on an upper second molar that is (lingually) bracketed. The first bracket came off within 3 days of being placed, but then my ortho tried a different glue and it's been fine ever since (more than 4 months now). I've had no trouble with this tooth.

Attagirl2

#5 Post by Attagirl2 »

Good one, Meryaten! :lol:
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

josephine

#6 Post by josephine »

I just recently had a gold crown on a molar patched with composite (the tooth colored stuff) because my new bite had worn a hole in the gold. I think they want to replace the crown but want to wait until I get done with ortho treatment. This stuff never ends, does it? :wink:

isabel1971

crowns

#7 Post by isabel1971 »

Hi there...
I have ceramic braces on FOUR front crowns as well as on two crowned molars. I have had the braces on for eight months now with only ONE problem slight problem. A lower bracket came off a crowned tooth because I pushed on it in earnest attempt to push the annoying hook in a bit.
The crowns can be shaped a bit depending on your bite. You will undoubtedly be able to make a decision as you see your treatment progressing.
I was very reluctant to go the ortho. route due to the crowns but my ortho. doesn't see it as that big of a deal. I thought I might have to have them replaced but he thinks he can salvage them.
Go to a few different offices and see how they deal wirh crowns. Best wishes!
Isabella

Vonster

#8 Post by Vonster »

I have a whole mouthful of crowns, unfortunately. At least they are all on molars and it doesn't look like any of them will have to be replaced after braces. I'll need about 3 more as soon as I'm out of them.

I had to get a molar band on one crown, I bit the bracket off so many times. Haven't had any damage to the crowns though.

Vonster

Damon 3's, top and bottom
April 5, 2005

swellen

#9 Post by swellen »

I wonder if I'd settle for a Rolls Canardly (it rolls down hills and can 'ardly get up the other side ;))
Reminds me of a friend who nicknamed his car "Constipation" (because it couldn't pass anything).

Lee54

#10 Post by Lee54 »

Thanks for the replies. The ortho I saw today said he would band the crowns--said likely brackets wouldn't hold. He didn't think the composite bonding on front teeth would require bands. Unfortunately, he won't use Damons--says he's tried them and had too many problems with brackets breaking off, gates not opening easily, and didn't feel the "benefits" match the advertisement hype. He commented the fact they keep coming out with new "improved" ones (3-4 versions now) says something, too.

I'm going to check out another ortho who only uses the Damons, as it sounded to me like the staff of the one I saw today didn't have much experience with Damons and found them difficult to open, so lack of experience with them may have been part of their problem.

Lee54

#11 Post by Lee54 »

I forgot to mention the ortho today didn't seem to think replacing the crowns would be necessary after treatment in order to keep a good bite. He said he didn't often have problems with crowns coming off, etc. either, which was good to hear.

cheerikimi

#12 Post by cheerikimi »

Hi! I just got braced this past Friday so I don't have any long term experience to share. My 2 front teeth are bonded. My ortho said that braces would be no problem. My dentist (the one who did my bonding) said that it is possible that the pressure from the braces could brake off the bonding. My bonding is 8 years old so I think the chance is a little higher the older your bonding is. My dentist said that he could do a temporary fix to the bonding, should it come off. I will keep my fingers crossed.