Bite Changes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Bite Changes

#1 Post by Chris »

This is so weird I wonder if anyone else experiences this. :?

At night when I wake up my back teeth touch perfectly and when I check during the day I can't get my back teeth to touch. Anybody else find that their bite is totally different night/day? I wonder why that happens?
I wonder if the "night bite" is my normal one or the "day bite" is? :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

The past week I been experiencing an underbite. While daydreaming or just being lazy, I feel that I have an underbite.
The doctor said I would have this while in my treatment.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

jaswi

#3 Post by jaswi »

I've had spacers since monday and I've noticed that already with these. Bite is constantly changing. Right now its comfortableish, 2 hours ago it sucked.

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

OMG yes - I'm really not sure what actually is my true bite and what's not at the moment because what's comfy one minute isn't the next! Also, one gap which I think is finally closing up seems more closed when I first wake up then seems wider as the day goes on! Could be my imagination but I definitely agree about the differing bite.

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

eoberhauser

#5 Post by eoberhauser »

Oh yea! I'm experiencing that right now. I have a cross bite on one side where my top molars are overlapping the bottom the wrong way (inside). My ortho "tweaked" my wire yesterday at my adjustment to start expanding that side. Today, my bite is totally different. It's kind of annoying too because the tips of my molars on that side are all touching. I hope that makes sense. You feel like you're not clamping down properly. I'm just happy for movement!

Erin

Iceolated

#6 Post by Iceolated »

My bite has changed so much in the almost two months I have had braces that I have quit trying to keep count.

As my teeth keep moving where my teeth make contact changes almost weekly. I good sign I think as it tells me my teeth are moving like they should be.

A plus side is because of the way my teeh are moving, I can no longer bite my nails..... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

ICE

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

At night when I wake up my back teeth touch perfectly and when I check during the day I can't get my back teeth to touch.
This happens to me too. I worry sometimes that it is because I clench alot at night and I am making the teeth "sink in" a little if that makes sense. It is a bit counter productive (if it is true) when they are trying to open my bite!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Attagirl2

#8 Post by Attagirl2 »

Chris, this is EXACTLY what I am going through right now! I wake up thinking, great, the elastics are working, then by late mourning, early afternoon, I find I have a gap on the left side - this is the side that needed pulling up. He did mention the time before last that he might have to put a bend in my arch wire. I should know Wednesday how he plans to fix this gap. I have been using elatics, but my right side isn't where my left side is as far as spacing, so for now, the left side is being held with a triangle configuration in the front while the other side catches up. (I will someday, if I don't keep forgetting to put the elastics in after I eat something!!!)
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Chris, this is EXACTLY what I am going through right now! I wake up thinking, great, the elastics are working, then by late mourning, early afternoon, I find I have a gap on the left side - this is the side that needed pulling up. He did mention the time before last that he might have to put a bend in my arch wire. I should know Wednesday how he plans to fix this gap. I have been using elatics, but my right side isn't where my left side is as far as spacing, so for now, the left side is being held with a triangle configuration in the front while the other side catches up. (I will someday, if I don't keep forgetting to put the elastics in after I eat something!!!)
Is the gap on the inside or outside or both of the tooth?
I seem to have a larger gap on the inside of my mouth (the part the ortho can't see and wonders why I'm complaining) :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#10 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Chris, I would say the gap is on both sides, but more so in the inside. But then I have a little gap (on the inside) on the other side of my mouth, just not as much. Pretty much only the outsides of my back, lower teeth touch in the channel of my uppers.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Kazan

#11 Post by Kazan »

Chris

So pleased to read your post. Have been thinking I'm imagining stuff: that's exactly what I have. In the morming I wake up and can close my back teeth, by mid-morning I no longer can. THere definitely seem to be changes throughout the day and, as someone else wrote, the bite changes throughout the treatment. Just hope they get it all aligned by the end. It's this kind of thing that makes me frustrated my ortho is so busy. He's very good I think but not got the time for frequent questions.

All the best

Kazan

JumpTheDitch

#12 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I definitely agree; every time I close my mouth, my bite is different! :roll:

Having my bottom front teeth touch the backs of my upper front is weird too.

Not real impressed with the lack of occlusion for the molars though; I can fit my tongue between first molars on both sides when I bite down. Makes eating hard work :?.

All part of the fun and games I guess! :twisted:

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

I can fit my tongue between first molars on both sides when I bite down. Makes eating hard work :?.
:
Yes, thats what I am experiencing on my 1 st molar, makes chewing difficult. He doesn't have the 2nd molar bracketed but just has an "uplift kink" in the archwire on the tooth thats lower. I don't think this is going to work. We held off on elastics till next time because my teeth were so sore. The elastics just make my jaw go into spasm. Its that Figure 8 that I dread. Have you had those yet? Do you have a deep bite?

I just hope he doesn't shave down all my bottom fronts so that the back end meets. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#14 Post by Chris »

Pretty much only the outsides of my back, lower teeth touch in the channel of my uppers.
I'd be happy with the outside tips hitting the channel :lol:
Right now the first bicuspid is the last tooth back that hits "the channel".

Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

hannah164

#15 Post by hannah164 »

Chris, I totally understand what you're talking about! Sometimes I feel like at night when my jaw is just resting, my bite is different than how it is when I actually bite down and chew! :shock: Becaues of my deep bite when my jaw is relaxed it almost goes into an underbite because of my bottom brackets! I think! :? Kinda confused! :roll: Hopefully my ortho starts fixing my bite soon! HE hasn't even started working on it yet because of all the other problems in my mouth! :roll:

~hAnnah

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next appointment: bonding left upper second molar!