Hello everyone, I'm new here

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pagey

Hello everyone, I'm new here

#1 Post by Pagey »

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself as I have a feeling I will be on this website for the next 18 months!!!!!

had extractions 2 weeks ago and just got app. for braces 10th Aug and 17th Aug, anyone know why it takes 2 apps?

Surgeon suggested that I would be happier with the overall look if I had lower jaw surgery halfway through my treatment and I have decided to go ahead with this but it is quiet scary as I had never heard of it before, I don’t think it is as common to have done in the UK and it is in the US (I could be wrong).

All this is being done on the NHS so I have to be a patient patient!!!

Pagey

#2 Post by Pagey »

by the way I am 34 in July, I just wish I had this done years ago!

fitchick

#3 Post by fitchick »

Hi Pagey and Welcome,

I can relate to that. I'm 40 in July and do I wish I'd done this years ago too? Anyway we've made the start now, so we're on the countdown.

My ortho did spacers week 1, brackets week 2 and the brace, bite plane and TPA week 3. I think its to ease you in gently, rather than be given a mouth full of strange objects all in one go.

How were your extractions? I have to have 2 extractions in a few months time and I am a real scaredy cat when it comes to things like that.

Good Luck with your treatment and I wish you speedy progress.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Hello! Welcome!
You'll find lots of support in here.
Start rinsing with warm salty water and do an excellent oral hygiene while u don't get braced.
Good luck!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

Welcome to the board, Pagey. This is a wonderful place to get information and support. When your family's eyes start glazing over from "braces talk" you can always come here to find people with the same obsession. It works very well.

I just had lower jaw surgery two days ago and I am doing well. I also recommend that you check out the orthognathic surgery forum for more info on the topic.

I swear, I don't know what I would do without this board!!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Pagey

#6 Post by Pagey »

fitchick - i had 2 extractions and one was an impacted wisdom tooth, the needles did sting a bit and they took some pulling, blood and spit dribbling out of my mouth and lot of painkillers, it was unpleasant at the time but looking back now it was nothing. just keep telling yourself "in a weeks time this will all be a distant memory", the brain is clever like that!

I had my nose reshaped 9 years ago and when i look back at the pics of my two black eyes it seems a life time ago.

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

Thanks Pagey,

I'll take your advice. I think I'll also ask for the numbing gel too!

Good Luck for your treatment, the hardest part will be being patient. I hope they don't delay too much.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

Welcome Pagey

I am new here too and have found everyone very helpful and friendly. I have my first appointment tomorrow to have spacers put in, then I have 2 more on 3rd July and 14th July but am not sure what work will be done in which one.

Pagey

#9 Post by Pagey »

i ask my family dentist when i was about 18 to straighten my teeth but he just phobed me off. i moved to a new area with my husband a couple of years ago and met a girl who was a dental assistant and when i told her about wanting my teeth straightened she told me to get signed up with her boss so i did and he referred me to the local NHS dental hospital straight away with out hesitation. i was told it would be 2 year before treatment would even start and that was in Nov 2004 so really i am ahead of schedule!!
i have met 2 different surgeons in this time, one said i would look better with lower jaw advancement and the other said i was border line and it wouldnt be worth going through the operation but if my chin really bothered me he would do it for me after about a year in braces, well i never do things by half so i have decided to go ahead as i really dont like my profile. (god bless the NHS, you dont get if you dont ask).

i will dig out the pic of me before nose jobie and obviously jaw jobie!! :wink: