To Eat or Not to Eat, lol

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

the_bufster84

To Eat or Not to Eat, lol

#1 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hey guys,

In a couple of weeks time im getting ceramic braces on my uppers and, after seeing all the pictures you've posted of your coloured ligs, was looking forward to getting some nice pretty colours. However, was talking to the ortho the other day and she said she only has clear ligs. I've heard these stain easily and I realise if you brush straight away it can reduce this but I was just wondering if anyone has a list of foods that stain to avoid.

Thanks, K x :D

(Sorry if I have just repeated a question you've already answered)

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

Personally I have never had any experience with clear ligs. I have full metals, but all ligs stain/fade to a degree.
Problem foods are curries, coffee, strong tea, anything with lots of coloring ie tang, hawian punch, and some types of bbq sauce. pretty much if it can change your tongue's color it might stain your ligs. Just brush well after you eat and you can avoid most stains.
Good luck and hopefully someone who has clear ligs can help you more.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Way Too Old For This

#3 Post by Way Too Old For This »

My ortho office seems to use silver as the standard colored lig for metal brackets. They keep trying to get me to try a color though...maybe I will on my one year anniversary in a couple of months.

That is too bad if your ortho office doesn't carry colors. The kids (and some of the adults) sure look forward to the colors. Its one thing they can do to make the process a little more fun and a little less horrible. It seems pretty inexpensive compared to the benefits.

If you really want colors and your ortho doesn't carry them you might consider buying them yourself and taking them with you to the orthodontist and ask them to use them.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.