New guy here

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rexthedestroyer

New guy here

#1 Post by rexthedestroyer »

Just wanted to say this is an awesome site. I am 28 years old and have alwasy wanted braces, but for financial reason have not been able to. Now I have a good job and some extra income I think I am going to make the jump. I have a few consultations set up for this week. I am very encouraged with one ortho because he is also working on two ladies at my job. One has ceramics and the other has metals. At first I thought that I would just go for the cheaper metals, but now I am considering metals. I am a single guy and have to take dating into consideration.

I really don't have any questions, but I do intend to post more and show you guys some pictures when I get braced.

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

Welcome to the journey.

Your not to far away

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

:thumbsup: Welcome to the club. :thumbsup: I hope all your consults go really well and you find an ortho and treatment plan that will work for you!

I recently got braced (June 15th/06) and everything is going really well. I chose the In-Ovation R's. They are all metal and are self ligating. They do not require ligs and are supposed to be easier to keep clean because of it.

So far so good.......wishing you all the best in your hunt for an ortho. :)

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Welcome Rex, I hope you soon find an ortho who you feel you can trust to do your work and that you can soon get started on your orthodontic journey!
This board is full of helpful people and there is lots of support here.

jaswi

#5 Post by jaswi »

Rex, as far as dating- don't worry about it. I met my wonderful girlfriend a week before I got spacers and top brackets and when I told her I was getting them she was entirely supportive. Remember, damn near everyone has been through braces at this point, and if they haven't been odds are they've wanted them. Also, my metal braces are extremely small, alot smaller than they used to be, and far far smaller than ceramics. Plus multiple people have informed me that ceramics cause people with somewhat yellowed teeth to look like they never brush.

nvcarissa

#6 Post by nvcarissa »

Welcome to the board Rex. You will find the best and most supportive people here. I will second jaswi regarding metal brackets. They are smaller and more comfortable than ceramics. I used to have ceramics on my uppers, but after three months, I swithched to full metal jacket. Haven't regretted it for a minute. Anyway, ceramics are really only inconspicuous in pictures. If anyone is close enought to have a conversation with, your braces, ceramic or otherwise, will be no secret.

Have fun. Enjoy the journey, and join us often to celebrate and commisserate!!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

Hi Rex,

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome! I hope the consultations go well for you. I can't help with your questions yet, I have metal on my lowers and will get ceramics on my uppers in 6 months time.

Good Luck with your treatment and I look forward to seeing your pics.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rexthedestroyer

Thanks

#8 Post by rexthedestroyer »

Thanks guys for the quick and supportive responses. I went to two different consultations today and had one a few weeks ago. One of the orthos I went to today is currently working on two of my coworkers and has done a few others. For the record I am african american, he is Asian and he was recommended to me by my asian coworkers. It was a little odd going there, because his office located in the most Asian city of Los Angeles, I felt like I was in another country. It is all good though. He seems very nice and from the work he has done it looks really promising. He only charges $2200 for metals and $2900 for ceramics. He says that he prefers to work with metals.

The second one I went to was a big dental office. The ortho seems very competant, and is familiar with all types of braces. He quoted me $5000 for metal and $5500 for ceramics.

I know I should base my decsion on more than economics, but with the first guy the price is right and I have people around me who can vouch for him and his work. Well I actually get to see his work every day when I talk to my coworkers.

So I decided to go with the first guy, I actually just got back from the lab to do x-rays. My next appointment is in two weeks. I think he needs to review my x-rays and give me a teeth cleaning before we can get down to business.

Wow, things are moving fast. I will keep you guys posted.

rexthedestroyer

#9 Post by rexthedestroyer »

P.S.

I have always struggled with some confidence issues, but I am like what the heck. Got to just go for it. IF some girl doesn't like me because I have a mouth full of metal then it is her loss. Ever watch a rap video lately? All those guys have a mouth full of diamonds. They have their precious metal and I have mine. :D

fitchick

#10 Post by fitchick »

Wow, what a huge difference in cost between the 2 ortho's? It sounds like you've made a good decision, the fact that this guy has come with recommendations counts for a lot. The saving is a bonus.

Regarding the girls - You are certainly right, it is their loss if they can't see past the metal. You have the right attitude. How can a man that wants to do something positive for himself be a negative thing? Good for you, you go for it, and lots of good wishes from me.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pirate Wench

#11 Post by Pirate Wench »

WOW.....big difference in price..... :? ......I am surprised the difference was so large.

If you are happy with your decision that is all that counts :thumbsup: It is nice that you have the opportunity to see his work daily and are able to talk to some of his patients.....you get the inside track!

Glad you are on your way......Congrats :-88

jzaboo

#12 Post by jzaboo »

I asked my off-and-on boyfriend if my braces looked weird or anything. He said, "You look like you. With things on your teeth-no biggie." So don't sweat it, plus think of the fine babes you'll get when you flash that million dollar (ok, five-thousand dollar or so) smile!