New here: Q's about dental insurance and advice in general

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

analucia

New here: Q's about dental insurance and advice in general

#1 Post by analucia »

I know this is a very specific question, but hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I'm thinking about enrolling in the dental insurance plan offered by my college to start an orthodontic treatment this year. However, I could only use the discount for dentists in the DeltaCare network. Has anyone had any experience with DeltaCare dentists in Boston, or just DeltaCare in general?

Also, here is my story in case someone can help. I've started an orthodontic treatment in my home country with removeable braces a long time ago (7-8 years), which didn't give the expected results, especially after I've come to the US, as I've only been able to go to my orthodontist 2-3 times a year. I'm still wearing the night guard so that I didn't lose what I've gained so far. I’m trying to save some money now to be able to start a treatment here.

My problems would be unerupted impacted wisdom teeth in horizontal position that are just pushing all the teeth forward, an impacted upper left bicuspid that prevents my cuspid from getting in its right position, crowded teeth both on my upper and lower jaw with 90 degree-rotations for my lower cuspids.

I’m not sure exactly how I should start now. Would it be worth it to join the dental plan? The insurance covers orthodontic treatment for two years with a copayment of 2250$. Can I get a check-up and treatment plan before starting the insurance, and would the insurance still cover the treatment then? I still don’t understand fully how insurance works in the US, so that’s why I’m asking all these.

Thanks so much for your help!

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Analucia. I would suggest you check with your school about their dental program. There should be a phone number on a brochure that they have. Anything we tell you could be wrong as policies can all different here. $2250 sounds like a reasonable amount. How my policy works is: The ortodontist submits a quote for time of treatment, then the company pays a percentage depending on how many months it is to take.

Also check about starting before you buy your insurance, some companies won't pay if you have already started treatment.

Another thing to check: is there a waiting period before you can begin treatment and have it covered (I mean you have to make payments for so long before you can begin the orthodontics. It could be that cleanings are covered, but orthodontics have a waiting period). My husband's was a year.

Good luck to you, I hope you find out all you need to know to make your orthodontics as inexpensive as possible.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

jbjalways

#3 Post by jbjalways »

I have Delta Care PMI and they will not cover anything for Damon braces so that's $5,000 of my $. They say that's a "specialty" orthodontics.

I went to traditional orthos that "supposedly" were Delta Care members and they found a way to add additional charges above the $1700 the insurace said my copay was. Either way it came to $4500 to $5000.

I guess it's different in every case. They don't cover expanders or anything over 24 months. Each ortho made up something the insurance didn't cover so they all averaged about the same with or without insurance. I wouldn't base the coverage on the supposed co-pay as you can see they have ways of getting the price up there.

Hope you have better luck than myself.

analucia

#4 Post by analucia »

Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll call the company and ask for more detail about this.

analucia

#5 Post by analucia »

Actually, I had another question.

Does anyone know about how much an initial check-up with x-rays and maybe an orthodontic treatment plan would cost? I wouldn't start the treatment now, but my parents keep pushing me to get a second opinion here and see if I need to have any extractions done now. Then it would be more affordable to do them at home.

I talked to a very good dentist there this past winter, unfortunately not the one who's been treating me so far. She said that had I stayed there, she would have the wisdom teeth and the biscuspid that are impacted and unerupted removed and then make space for the canines, straighten the lower jaw teeth and voila. I might have a bit of a problem with the bite as well, the back molars on the left side don't overlap at all.
Anyway, she suggested that since my teeth have lots of cavities, someone here my extract the affected molars and keep my wisdom teeth or try to save my bicuspid. Ah, so complicated. Anyway, this is my story. I don't know how much you can help, but there's no one really I can ask around here. I can't wait to have my teeth straight after dealing with this for so long.

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

Analucia, there are many orthodontisits who will meet with you an give you and estimate - no charge. That doesn't include xray and preliminary work though. You could make an appointment for the initial free consultation and take your previouse xrays with you. Although these xrays wouldn't be good enough for them to work from, it would give them an idea what is going on in your mouth.

Still, check with the insurance company to make sure this doesn't "start" treatment.

Best wishes
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

princesspenelope

#7 Post by princesspenelope »

You said you are considering the insurance through the school, so I'm assuming you are a student? If you are, another issue would be if you would still use the same insurance company if you graduate before the end of your treatment.

erica

#8 Post by erica »

analucia, you may also want to consider contacting Tufts Dental School: http://www.tufts.edu/dental/ Dental schools often provide treatment at much lower rates. I work in medicine, and a number of my patients report that they've had good luck through Tufts (just anecdotal though, you'd obviously want to do your research). Hopefully you'll find that DeltaCare will be able to meet your needs, but Tufts might be a good back-up option. Good luck!
Braced 10/13/04
Debanded on 07/11/06!!! :)
Currently in upper and lower Essix retainers 24/7.

Delag

#9 Post by Delag »

Just someting to consider - how long will you be in the US? It can be difficult to change doctors in the middle of treatment as your new doctor may work differently.

analucia

#10 Post by analucia »

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I'll be in the US for quite a while. I might be moving to a different state in two years, but I'll see what I can do then. Even if I decide to go back home soon, although it's not likely, I have a great doctor who said she would take over my case. It wouldn't be the best scenario, but it would be fine.