What are the "bars" with hooks on each side for?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starzin

What are the "bars" with hooks on each side for?

#1 Post by starzin »

Hi all! How are all my buddies in braces doing?
I hope you guys can help me once again? You always do!
I just went in for my tightening yesterday and they installed 2 bars with hooks on the upper right and left sides to attach the ligatures from the top left to bottom and right left to bottom?
Can you tell me what these are really called and why they just don't put hooks on the brackets?
They are so weird and uncomfortable.
It seems like everytime I go in they are installing more equipment.
I've also got 2 springs on each side on the bottom.
I don't think there is room for anything else!
My ortho and his assistants are not very good at explaining what they are doing and why so as usual, I'm counting on you guys!
Thanks as always!!! :D

momsbracesat42

Not sure what the bars are

#2 Post by momsbracesat42 »

I am not sure what the bars are for but my back brackets do have hooks on them. I also had a tightening yesterday and 1 spring installed yesterday all. It is becoming uncomfortable because the inside of my lower lip is getting caught in it. Hope you get your answer and get used to the springs.
----------