Bite Changes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

#16 Post by Chris »

Hannah, I don't feel so bad now, because you've been braced for 2 years now too! I'm at the very impatient point now.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#17 Post by Attagirl2 »

Well, I went for my follow-up today and let him know about the small space (between where the upper and lower teeth meet) on the left side behind the first premolars. He has me in a box configuration with "Seal" elastics on both sides. They encompass the last two molars. He also told me to watch that my bite doesn't open up in front, if that starts to occur, I am to add elastics to the incisors top to bottom.

While I was there, I brought up the black triange between my upper front teeth. I had stopped him from totally removing it/them before, but changed my mind as I began to realize that if I have more gum receding, the triangles would get even bigger. He was able to take more off between these teeth. (I had to have it done earlier because my teeth were really shaped funny and wouldn't have come together at all). I am happy with what he did - having tooth removed is a big step, because once it is gone, it is gone. I am just a slow decision maker when it comes to my health...

He also showed me that I am "sucking" in my cheeks and tongue into the area between where my teeth meet. This may be part of the problem why I have the space. We concluded that the elastics are making more saliva which I am trying to keep in my mouth at night. (I am a stomach sleeper...) Anyway he said that sleeping on the stomach is not good for the jaws or alignment of teeth. He said that to finish my alignment I will be in a bite positioner - that sounds like fun... :roll: I said what ever I have to do to make the bite fit correctly. I haven't researched it yet, but a bite posistioner to me sounds like one of the appliances that encorporatges the top and bottom retainer together on a hinge - you wear it at night....
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Chris

#18 Post by Chris »

Well, I went in to see the ortho today about my aching upper right lateral and this is what I got...

Double Power Chains and An Elastic !

I hope my tooth makes it through the night. Its funny though, it was like a child throwing a temper tandrum all the way to the ortho and when I got out it was very quiet, like it got "spanked". I think it was the shock of the power chain. :lol:

Oh, and I got brave enough to ask the "how much longer" question, something I Never Dreamed of Asking Before! He said probably 4 months. 4 months, I can live with that. I'm holding him to it! :gavel:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#19 Post by Attagirl2 »

Chris, your teeth are looking great! Remember the ibuprophin... I think I shall make a small pedistal for my bottle - :lol:
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

snazzynazzy

#20 Post by snazzynazzy »

I'd be happy with the outside tips hitting the channel :lol:
Right now the first bicuspid is the last tooth back that hits "the channel".

:shock: OMG this is exactly what is happening to me! and my ortho says that it will fix by itself when I deband and get a retainer. I seriously doubt that will happen, because I think I need a vertical force to bring them down, not just shifting along my gumline. Apparently, every1 elses orthos have adjusted the treatment for this kind of situation. My ortho scheduled debanding at my next appt, but I want this fixed before the braces come off! The thing is, my ortho knows im moving so I think he just wants me to take off my braces at his office so I dont transfer to sum1 else. Now I dont know what to do... please see my other post in Metal Mouth (I dont know how to link it here), because I need some advice on transferring :?

Chris

#21 Post by Chris »

I cant see how that can be corrected by itself or with a retainer?
If you click on my image you will see he has an uplift in the archwire going to that tooth, he says that should bring it upwards. :roll:

I had asked about elastics there and he felt the archwire would do it.
The classic figure 8 elastic that is usually used to bring the teeth together makes my jaw go into spasms.

If I were you I would make an appt BEFORE the debanding date and discuss how exactly that will be resolved with the retainer and if it doesn't, what are your options.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Kell

#22 Post by Kell »

I'm having major bite problems now. It got even worse after my adjustment this week. My front teeth hit first so no molars touch at all. I am definitely bringing it up at my next adjustment in 3 weeks because my ortho is talking about debanding my top teeth in August. My bite was just fine before braces so this is very disturbing. I do trust my ortho but he hasn't mentioned my bite at all. Each adjustment it's been getting worse and worse. Now I don't think it can get any worse than it is right now.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Chris

#23 Post by Chris »

I'm having major bite problems now. It got even worse after my adjustment this week. My front teeth hit first so no molars touch at all. I am definitely bringing it up at my next adjustment in 3 weeks because my ortho is talking about debanding my top teeth in August. My bite was just fine before braces so this is very disturbing. I do trust my ortho but he hasn't mentioned my bite at all. Each adjustment it's been getting worse and worse. Now I don't think it can get any worse than it is right now.
Wow, you've only been in braces a little over 5 months and he wants to deband the tops already??? :shock: Have you been wearing elastics on the sides to bring your bite together?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Kell

#24 Post by Kell »

Wow, you've only been in braces a little over 5 months and he wants to deband the tops already??? :shock: Have you been wearing elastics on the sides to bring your bite together?
Yeah, the original estimate he gave me for the top teeth was only 6 months so it's in line with that. After being here on this board I do wonder why I don't have to keep the braces on longer for the teeth to get used to their new position. They did not need much done at all other than straightening out a couple of teeth so I am assuming the thought is that the retainer will hold them where they belong.

My bite was great before the braces went on. Before this last adjustment it was off but nowhere near as bad as it is now. This week I got a powerchain on the top from molar to molar and I think it's pulled the front teeth in some and that is why the bottom teeth are hitting them and stopping all the other teeth from meeting. I don't know how my bite has changed so much in such a short period of time.

I haven't worn elastics at all. I go back in 3 weeks and I will be discussing this with him then.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

JumpTheDitch

#25 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Yeah Chris, I have a deep bite. My 'channel' looks like your pic on one side, but on the other side the gap is even bigger! :shock: I just checked it; I knew one side was wonkier than the other, but I can actually poke my tongue out from between the first molars on one side; this with my teeth clenched "tight" :? Neither side bicuspids meet either. Sorry, no pics. Must do that. :oops:

No I haven't had elastics yet, my ortho was sick last appointment but the locum ortho told me that my bite needed opening up rather than closing, which was achieved through the archwire and not using elastics. I wish they'd give me elastics to be honest; these extraction gaps are over six months old and have hardly moved with powerchains alone. I was told by the assistant ortho that I'd be getting elastics at some point to fix up my crooked midline but the locum ortho wasn't sure. I just hate not being able to chew; I went out for dinner with a guy last night, I was so embarrased by how long it took me to eat my dinner, I couldn't make him watch me try to eat it all. Embarrasing :roll:

Good luck with your bite!

Chris

#26 Post by Chris »

I'm really kind of curious now, are the molars suppose to be closed on the INSIDE of the mouth since the outside tips go "inside" the channel of the uppers? :roll:

Jump - yeah I know what you mean about eating...some things like spaghetti are difficult to eat because the backs don't meet. I don't find it difficult to eat larger pieces of meat though.

You know whats really weird is that 1st molar USE TO TOUCH before braces. When the bite was opened up (front teeth moving forward and arch widening) then it seemed like that tooth either sunk or tipped forward. I have the original photo where the tooth touched perfectly. I wonder if its a side effect of repositioning the teeth.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Clo

#27 Post by Clo »

Muahhhh Chris !

You passed the 2 year mark too. Congratulations !
I knew it was about to happen now. But I am late some days.
It sounds great to know that you might be free of braces before 2007
begins.

Chris

#28 Post by Chris »

Muahhhh Chris !

You passed the 2 year mark too. Congratulations !
I knew it was about to happen now. But I am late some days.
It sounds great to know that you might be free of braces before 2007
begins.
Thanks, Clo! I was hoping they would be off by my 50th Birthday in a couple of months but thats pushing it now. :cry:

For all you newbies out there...don't believe em when they tell you how long you'll be in braces!!
You tend to go with the ortho who has the shorter deadline...big mistake..."sucker" written all over my face. :crazy:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Kell

#29 Post by Kell »

For all you newbies out there...don't believe em when they tell you how long you'll be in braces!!
You tend to go with the ortho who has the shorter deadline...big mistake..."sucker" written all over my face.
I was never worried about the amount of time. I went with the ortho that worked on three of my nephews because I trust him and he did an awesome job with their teeth. There were some other reasons too. With the amount of money I spent on these things I want everything perfect and I don't care how long it takes. Well, I would care if it were 3 or 4 years :) I just want it done right. They don't really bother me all that much on a day to day basis.
I'm really kind of curious now, are the molars suppose to be closed on the INSIDE of the mouth since the outside tips go "inside" the channel of the uppers?
I think I remember having a small amount of space along the inside edge before braces when my teeth all met and my bite was good. It's hard to be 100% positive though because never in my life did I spend as much time thinking about my teeth as I do now.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

anotherbraceface

#30 Post by anotherbraceface »

I might be late on this post, but i've definitely noticed unpleasant changes with my bite that are worse in the evening!

In the morning, I wake up with my teeth clenched together (old habit), which means my jaw closes fully. By mid-day, I find that I can't bite down fully anymore!

This is a new phenomenon, just started occurring within the last few days, but I'm assuming that the extent to which the muscles in the jaw are relaxed/tensed might be related to the change in bite. The minor changes might be more noticeable now that you're teeth are in transit :p