Advice and encouragement needed...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rcsw6

Advice and encouragement needed...

#1 Post by rcsw6 »

Hi all

What a fantastic website!

I am a 29 year old male living and working in London. I have awful buck teeth and am desperate to get them fixed but nervous as hell about the thought of wearing braces for two years or more. I really want to get it done, but I guess I need to hear from people, who are or were in the same position as me, that it really will be worth it.

My dentist referred me to the orthodontist in his surgery and I had a consultation. She was unbelievably negative and discouraging and put me off the whole idea. I did note that she was my age and was wearing braces herself (perhaps a marketing ploy?!), which gave me some encouragement. At £35 a consultation I'm not sure I want to shop around too much but would it be a mistake to go with her as my orthodontist? How easy is it to consult with other options if I am not registered at those places?

Any advice, suggestions, encouragement, etc would be greatly appreciated, preferrably via PM.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

ShinySmile

#2 Post by ShinySmile »

rc--

I can't be of much help to you as far as how things work over in London...at the appointments I went to over here in the US, the consultations were free-- but it's different with every orthodontist.

If your ortho was negative right off the bat, and you do not feel comfortable with her...perhaps you should go to a copule of other ones in your area to see how their manners are! :) It's very important for you to feel comfortable and able to ask questions throughout your treatment time.

Best of luck,

ShinySmile

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Hey, im up in Newcastle but like you i have buck teeth, well did have.

Anyway, most places will probably do you a free consult just pick up your yellow pages and call up some places and ask about it. Braces arent that big a deal and if you wanted you could probably have linguals (sit on the backs of the teeth) or ceramics (white braces) but i doubt you'd be an invisalign case.

Maybe ask your dentist for another referal, do some research, many orthos will have websites just by googling orthodontics london i got several pages. Any questions feel free to get back to me. But you've taken the first step.

rcsw6

recommendations?

#4 Post by rcsw6 »

Thanks for your comments. Made me realise that I should ask if anyone who has had braces in London has a recommendation, preferrably in the south west (fulham/putney)?

Rob

Joanna20

#5 Post by Joanna20 »

Hello!
I can understand why you need some encouragement; you will find heaps of it here. We support each other!
I think that you should see at least three different Orthos and listen carefully to what they have to say. All problems have a solution, and buckteeth are really common and easy to straight! At least I haven’t seen many concerns with that problem. I also suggest you start your own braces journey; it really helps ‘because other people post their opinions and give advice and stuff.
Start rinsing with warm salty water – it really helped me!

I wish you the best of luck!

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

babymetalmouth

#6 Post by babymetalmouth »

I dont know if this is to far away from you? But im in the south west (Wiltshire) And my ortho is amazing! Its in Swindon about 5 mins from the train station, if your interested I can send you his name and address and that? Hes so friendly and seeing as Im the biggest wimp of all time, he makes me feel at compleat ease, you should pay him a visit! PM me if you want to know more, It would probably be about an hours train ride / Hour and a half drive.

I hope it all works out for you! And get braces, please! Anyone who thinks they need them and can afford it seriously should just get them, you will regret it if you dont!!

Sam :lol:
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!

Kimber

#7 Post by Kimber »

Unfortunately, I can't give you a London recommendation, but I can give you a thumbs up to go ahead and do braces now if you can. The longer you wait, the less time you'll have to enjoy your new smile. Braces are quite common on adults now and the only comments I've received from people have been positive. It can be uncomfortable -- be prepared for that -- but there are many things that are much worse!

Good luck with your decision and with finding a great ortho.
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

Super Soo

#8 Post by Super Soo »

my consultation was £100 which included xrays and moulds taken. my ortho is in Liverpool and he is brilliant. I would definitely go for it.....what's 2/3 years of your life compared to smiling in confidence for the rest of it!!
Full metal uppers and lowers 28.02.06 at age 26

http://www.TickerFactory.com/]