2nd Archwire

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ebruce25

2nd Archwire

#1 Post by ebruce25 »

Its been 8 weeks with my Damon 3 braces and today I got my second archwire put in. Its been almost 12 hrs now... and I'm trying to eat soft food but its almost unbearable. Is that normal? lol

KriegeR

#2 Post by KriegeR »

Hi ebruce25.

As KK said, the symptoms are different for everyone, and they depend on your pain tolerance, and whether or not you have had braces before.

I actually found that the installation of my spacers caused more discomfort than even the tightest, most agressive adjustment of my brace, but then again, I have a fairly high tolerance to pain.

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

ebruce25,
I have had my wires changed once on each arch ( top to a square one and bottom to a stronger one to help a wonky tooth move into place) As with KK, neither caused much pain, but when I got elastics they were painful! I was hardly able to touch my teeth together for a couple days until I got used to them.

I really dont think it has to do with pain tolerance, just how much it is pulling on your teeth and how they respond. Take some ibuprofin, and in a couple you should be back to yourself Hang in there!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I've had many, many archwires and it was pretty normal for me to have to eat soft foods for several days afterwards. Some of my heaviest wires didn't cause as much pain as the lighter wires, so it depends on how your teeth are moving I guess.

I do think the elastics can be more annoying than the archwires. I had no problem with them at first but the longer I wore them, the more soreness I had. Ugh!!

Henna_the_braceface

#5 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Same here! I got my elastics and springs on yesterday but I cant seem to tell which is giving me the pain??? I think its the elastics though....

nvcarissa

#6 Post by nvcarissa »

I would bet on the elastics. My oral surgeon has me in elastics right now to keep me from opening too wide and stressing the surgical site, and I can tell you, especially in the front...OUCH!! I almost (not really) wish he'd left me wired together... at least then I didn't feel as though the wires were moving my teeth!!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.