Extractions...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

New_Me5

Extractions...

#1 Post by New_Me5 »

Hello,

It was a month ago that I went to the Orthodontist, and he told me that I needed to extract some teeth with taking x-rays. However, I went to a second orthodontist and he said he needed to take xrays of my mouth to see if I needed to extract some teeth. So I'm a bit confused. Can an orthodontist by looking inside my mouth know already that i need to extract some teeth or do x-rays need to be done 1st to know if I really need extractions.

Thanks!! :)

eaglesoaring

#2 Post by eaglesoaring »

New me-

Hello! I had TWO Ortho's that told me that I'd need extractions...without one, single x-ray. Then, another Ortho took x-rays, and still suggested extractions. So, based on my experience, I'd say that they CAN look into your mouth, and determine that you'll need extractions. However, when I met my current Ortho, they DID take x-rays, and told me that they prefer to AVOID extractions, if at all possible. So, I went with him. I don't want extractions, if at all possible, but there are times where it is necessary.

I recommend getting more than one opinion. I'm not sure where you are, but in the U.S., there are several Ortho's that offer FREE consultations. All of my consults were free.

Wishing you luck! If you have any other questions, please post! You'll find that everyone on this forum is pretty helpful, and positive!
eagle

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi New_Me5,

I went to 4 orthodontic consultations. Ortho #1 said I didn't need braces. Ortho #2 said he could fix my overjet with upper braces for about 1 year. Ortho #3 said I would need to get 2 teeth extracted from my upper arch and would need full braces for 18 months. Ortho #4 initially said I would have to get 2 teeth extracted and have full braces but said he would know more after the records appt which included photos of my teeth, X-Rays and impresions of my teeth. I was most comfortable with ortho#4 so I decided to get the records done at his office. After reviewing my records, he said I would not need extractions and said I would need an upper arch expander, braces on the upper teeth and elastics to correct my crossbite on one side and my 5 mm overjet along with some minor things with other teeth. He said he does not know if I will need lower braces and it depends on if he can get my bite corrected after correcting my crossbite. He said treatment time will be about 20 months.

I decided to proceed with ortho treatment with ortho #4 because I felt most comfortable with him and his staff - they are the greatest. My crossbite was corrected about 3 months earlier than estimated, which is great. I won't know if I will need the lower braces until approx. the end of August - I'm fine if I need them, I luckily have adjusted very well to the expander and braces. My expander will stay on a few more months to stabilize the expansion.

My suggestion to you is to go for multiple consultations, express your concerns and choose the orthodontist that you feel you're most comfortable with - skill and personality.

I feel every orthodontist has their own way of treating orthodontic problems - sometimes extractions are necessary, sometimes extractions make it easier for the orthodontist. You need to express your concerns with the way you want your teeth to look, concerns for use of headgear, if needed. My orthodontist said he does not use headgear for adults and they have alternative methods for correction, for example he will be using elastics to reduce my 5 mm overjet.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08