Lig colours (colors)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VancouverJude

Re: Lig colours (colors)

#1156 Post by VancouverJude »

Gray and silver are good choices, which most newbies gravitate to -- I know I did -- but they can be a bit dull and alas, a silver one I had turned bright yellow due to curry. I found Gray looked kind of chunky.

Three weeks between appointments isn't much. I'd say the "norm" is six weeks? That's awesome tho, extra attention is always great especially at the beginning and you can play with colors.

I know navy is a primary colour but it's really good. Metallic tones of navy, green look swell.

Also, try a more conservative color on the top and go a bit wild on the lowers.

It's all personal preference. Good luck!

Jerseygirl wrote:So what is the conscensus of opinion regarding the 'best' colored ligature that does not stain as much and is not an actual primary color? I have clear on right now and they have not stained too badly and I drink coffee every day. But they are a bit yellowed after 2 weeks, I get new ones at 3 weeks.

I've heard gray or silver might be better? Is that true? If so, I plan to ask my ortho if he has those.

Thanks!

Jerseygirl

#1157 Post by Jerseygirl »

[quote="VancouverJude"]Gray and silver are good choices, which most newbies gravitate to -- I know I did -- but they can be a bit dull and alas, a silver one I had turned bright yellow due to curry. I found Gray looked kind of chunky. Three weeks between appointments isn't much. I'd say the "norm" is six weeks? That's awesome tho, extra attention is always great especially at the beginning and you can play with colors.
I know navy is a primary colour but it's really good. Metallic tones of navy, green look swell.
Also, try a more conservative color on the top and go a bit wild on the lowers.

======================================================================

Thanks - good to know about the silver turning yellow - though I don't care for curry so I won't be eating it. Yes - three weeks between appointments for the duration of my treatment, if nothing else to swap out my ligs as he said they get gross after 3 weeks. :) I'm very glad about that, as I'd prefer go more often anyway so he can keep tabs on me.

I'm 46, and am conservative - the less attention I draw to them the better. I admit pink looks cute on some of the girls on here but I don't know how it would look on me. :)

Thanks again!

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months

catgyrl

#1158 Post by catgyrl »

I went back to my lavendars again, for a change of pace. (Sorry the pic is so big - can't seem to figure out Photobucket's new resizing function.)

Jerseygirl

#1159 Post by Jerseygirl »

Wow Cathy - that looks really pretty! I LOVE lavendar - - hmmm looks tempting when it's my turn for a powerchain.

So do you find it stays the same color and does not change if you eat certain things?

catgyrl

#1160 Post by catgyrl »

Hey Jerseygirl-

Thank you! I've had Lavendar once before, and it held up really well with regard to staining. My worst culprits are soda and ketchup. I drink all sodas and juices with a straw, which helps keep at least the front 4 teeth pretty stain-free. The back ones do get stained, but those teeth aren't very noticeable.

I did try hot pink once and HATED it. On my teeth, it looked like smeared lipstick. :lol:

ShikabaneHime13

#1161 Post by ShikabaneHime13 »

Waaaah!!! Can't decide on the colors my ligs should be. I initially wanted to go with my favorite color black, but when I contemplate it, it just seems soo... basic...
Hi Hi! Feel free to follow my blog:Image

kitsune

#1162 Post by kitsune »

ShikabaneHime13 wrote:Waaaah!!! Can't decide on the colors my ligs should be. I initially wanted to go with my favorite color black, but when I contemplate it, it just seems soo... basic...
Go with what your heart desires! :wink: If I was in your shoes, however, I would wait to see what colors they carry at your ortho's office. You never know what might catch your eye...

One of the "nice" things about having braces is that you will be able to change out your ligs and try something new every few weeks or so. There is a lot of opportunity to have fun and express yourself.

Mauvaise

#1163 Post by Mauvaise »

VancouverJude wrote: Is there anyone out there who rocks black ligs? I'd like to hear what you think. Black is my fave color for clothing, but I don't get the concept about it on teeth.

I did alternating black & orange for Halloween and I loved the way the black looked, so when it was time to change out the power chain (I was wearing dark blue and was sick of it) I went with black. I love it! Plus with the colored elastics the black will go with all of them without clashing. You can just barely make out the purple elastics in this picture:

In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

jem

#1164 Post by jem »

Hi Mauvaise,

I am an old codger who chose to have clear Damon brackets so that my brace shows up as little as possible.

So it seems odd to me to place a striking black powerchain across white brackets. But good for you. You are obviously getting the best fun out of having braces. I wish I had your self-confidence!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Mauvaise

#1165 Post by Mauvaise »

jem wrote:Hi Mauvaise,

I am an old codger who chose to have clear Damon brackets so that my brace shows up as little as possible.

So it seems odd to me to place a striking black powerchain across white brackets. But good for you. You are obviously getting the best fun out of having braces. I wish I had your self-confidence!

Jem
I'm 42 years old, so pretty much an old codger myself (I've been known to shoo kids off my lawn on the weekends* :P ), but the way I figure it is that even with clear brackets, braces are noticeable. I'd rather just be "in your face" with them than constantly having people giving me that look that you can just tell means they're wondering what is different about you.

It's also why I'm going with colored elastics. They're going to be noticed anyway, so it might as well be because I'm wearing fun colors. :)

*I don't have a lawn
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

jem

#1166 Post by jem »

I'm also too much of an old codger to write "lol" but that did make me laugh....
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Jerseygirl

#1167 Post by Jerseygirl »

I'm old but not that old. LOL. I think it comes down to personal preference. Some people want to add some color to their mouth/braces and others do not.
When I got braced 3 weeks ago I went with clear.
Today I went with 'tooth colored' or ecru. I might consider baby pink or lavendar in the future but I"ve got lots of time to do that.
My ortho sees me every 3 weeks so even if I don't like how a color looks - I only have to live with it for a few weeks.
But so far I actually LIKE the way the clear and ecru look. :) It's all about what makes you most happy.
This is the ecru color ligs on top - I'm not sure what he used on bottom, might be gray.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#1168 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Black and Yellow. I wonder how many times the bees are going to sting me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jenn Medeiros

xanidu2012

#1169 Post by xanidu2012 »

Black/yellow 8) bracedsurgerystudent. Im sporting lavender at the moment but since the 4th of July is almost upon us I think I'll go for red and blue (teeth already white) :lol: gonna show my patriotic side :HugeGrin:

BracedSurgeryStudent

#1170 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

:) Awesome I wish I could I go every 8 weeks which doesnt give me much of an option for things like that I did manage to get green and red for Christmas
Jenn Medeiros