Ortho and assistant are happiness police!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raleighsmile

#16 Post by raleighsmile »

Mominbraces-

I don't think you are overreacting at all. That is a very strange experience.

I remember at my consultation with my Orthodontist, after he reviewed my treatment plan with me.....he looked at me very seriously and said "I want you to understand that this is going to take commitment," he said, "you are going to have to want to do this to be able to finish."

I didn't take that remark personally. I think he probably picked up that I was nervous and was preparing me that it was not going to be pleasant all the time. From having the braces on now just over 3 months, I now know exactly what he was talking about. I have days when I really don't like having braces on....but I want this....so I'm sticking with it.

He also sent a letter to my dentist and he mailed me a "cc" letter of it also. I thought it was interesting because there was a short paragraph in the letter that described me personality. He described me as "pleasant, professional, and commited." I found that to be interesting, especially since my dentist has known me for 9 years.

Oh well.....who knows why orthodontist do everything they do...every appointment I have is always a mystery about what is coming up next.

-Chris
12/14/05: Braces on - 6 metal bands, all metal brackets on bottom, ceramic on top.

Leslie022

#17 Post by Leslie022 »

If that had been me, I probably would have walked out and found a different orthodontist. You are the patient (customer) and you have the right to feel however you wish. It is only natural for someone to be nervous or apprehensive about making such a big commitment. You are paying him for his dental services not psychological services.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

payoki

#18 Post by payoki »

If you feel that the ortho is competent and he knows your treatment history it's better that you stay with him. Don't take anything too personal as long as he offers you good service and thorough treatment and cutious to all your concerns and inquiry than i don't see what the problem is...business as usual.
mother of one.

paw655

#19 Post by paw655 »

payoki wrote:If you feel that the ortho is competent and he knows your treatment history it's better that you stay with him. Don't take anything too personal as long as he offers you good service and thorough treatment and cutious to all your concerns and inquiry than i don't see what the problem is...business as usual.
Competence is not enough. There has to be mutual respect. If an ortho, or an MD, or any other provider disrespects me, unless they are the sole provider in the county, I'll go elsewhere.

AKW

nimo

#20 Post by nimo »

WOW! I would switch orthos immediately based on the first post of this thread! Nowhere does it say you have to be the happiest person on Earth for any reason. Who wants to actually go through with braces? Not really anyone. It's a long process, and I don't know about the rest of the planet, but I'm doing this purely for the end result. Not for the experience.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Traffic

#21 Post by Traffic »

I would tell your oprtho that you are very happy with the treatment, but that you find his assistant to have a very negative attitude towards the patients and you would prefer not to see the assistant anymore. Then glower right back at the assistant the way she/he glared at you.

ssfw

#22 Post by ssfw »

When I am choosing a medical professional, as KK indicated, mutual respect is very important. In addition to mutual respect, the person has to be competent, kind and compassionate. In fact, I feel the same about the doctors' support staff. I'm not saying a person has to be great friends with everybody but I want to feel comfortable calling or coming in for an appointment.

As indicated in another post, with that ortho's attitude, a patient may hesitate to mention minor imperfections or ask questions. There are times when a person may have to see a doctor/dentist several times and it really helps if you have a good relationship. As for orthodontic treatment, although a person may see their orthodontist every 6-8 weeks, you want to be comfortable at your appts. and ask any questions that you have. Personally, I would have found another orthodontist. But, mominbraces, the important thing is if you're happy with your decision then great!

There are lots of people that don't care about personality of a medical profession, they just want to get the medical services they need. I know that I don't fall into that category. I know that my 2 orthodontists are such wonderful people and from reading other posts there are other good ones out there too so if you have the ability to make a choice, keep looking until you find one that meets your needs and you agree with the treatment plan. I find it a bit frustrating that a person would not proceed with orthodontic treatment or delay it due to an unfortuante incident as mominbraces and NotBob1 had.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08