Friends/Colleagues reaction to my Adult Braces? (UK)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kevin

#16 Post by Kevin »

The longer you wait the harder it will be to do it. You'll always have an excuse why 'now' isn't a good time. One thing is guarenteed though. No matter why 'now' wouldn't be a good time you'll always be able to say, "It would have been over and done with if I'd just gone through it years ago when I had the chance."

What it boils down to is this... You're thinking about getting braces for a reason. Is that reason going to go away in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Probably not. You, and most everyone else on this board (myself included), weren't happy with their teeth and couldn't see living miserably for another 10 years with our teeth the way they are. We considered the inconvenience of having braces for a few years worth having good teeth/bite/etc. for the rest of our lives. That's a personal choice though. As I said, excuses will always be available should you decide you don't want to go through with it. ;) 10 years from now you can love your smile or wish you'd gone through braces when you had the chance and were closest to making the decision.

And as for braces affecting your social life... well... I've found that no one really cares about braces except the person wearing them. Any discomfort about a social life with braces comes from the person wearing them.

I'm really not ragging on you. :) It's a personal decision whether or not to get braces. Just make sure whatever you decide it's for the right reasons. Excuses rarely qualify as valid reasons though.

Just food for thought! ;)

Kevin

JoeMama

#17 Post by JoeMama »

Good luck with your decision. I waited until I was 30+ to get my braces. I knew I needed them in my mid/late 20's, but I was too much of a chicken to go get them done until recently. I was concerned about the social aspect too, so I understand. I'll admit, they're not a ton of fun, but the surprising thing is how quickly they stop mattering when you're out in public. It took me a few weeks, but I made myself get out there and quickly realized that no one really cares. Seriously, the worst thing about them is just the cleaning. And you can always get the clear ones on top, and then you can hardly see them.

Of course you know this, but the sooner you get them on, the sooner you'll have nice teeth AND you won't have to constantly be thinking about when the right time will be. Because being 30 doesn't make it any easier. It's one of those things you can't think too much about or you'll never do it, you may just have to take the leap.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Kazan

#18 Post by Kazan »

Hi All

(My first ever post - been lurking for a few week but got braced here in the UK about 10 days ago)

I agree with Kevin. There is always a reason to put this decision off. I have had wonky teeth since my early twenties and raised the topic with my dentist then who said he wouldnt both and so I just left them as they were. I am a bloke in his mid-thirties and it isnt any easier having it done now than it woudl have been 10 years ago!

However, as everyone says, its as big a deal as you make it. I certainly dont think it stops you going out on the pull. If someone likes you, they like you. Think about it. If you met someone nice would you let yourself be put off because they had braces? NO!

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that though you may have braces for a couple of years, your teeth are changing all the time and, as the treatment progresses and your smile gets better, you feel more confident and positive and you might even find yourself doing better at the dating game than without braces!

You know if your teeth really bother you. If they dont - fine. But if they do and a qualified orthodontist says it is worth doing something - and you want to - dont put it off.

Best wishes

Kazan

snowbunny

#19 Post by snowbunny »

Why spend the next 10 years with horrible teeth? Once those braces come off, you will be so glad you did it. In fact, once you've got them on and you're on the way to straight teeth, you really stop caring what other people think. You're thinking about how great your teeth are getting.
Really, most people are not bothered by your braces as long as you show that you are not bothered.
Think about how much more 'pulling' you can do in two years time with fantastic teeth! Who knows - the girls will probably think you're cute in braces and it's a great ice-breaker!
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months

TracyJean

Reactions to braces

#20 Post by TracyJean »

My boss and my fellow choir members at church knew I was getting braces beforehand (my boss because I was going to be taking off work the afternoon they were put on and the choir so they would know to expect some changes in my flute playing until I adjusted). Everyone was understanding - they'd either had braces themselves as teens or had kids who'd been in braces. In fact, the day after I was braced, when I walked into my boss' office, the first thing she wanted me to do was smile so she could see the braces.

A lot of my coworkers ask about them - why I got them, etc. But everyone's been sympathetic. Again, most of them have either been in braces themselves or have kids who have been (or are, as one coworker told me - her son just got braced a few weeks ago). One of my coworkers is even thinking about getting braces himself, so he asked a lot of questions about which orthodontist I'm seeing, what kind of brackets, treatment time, etc.

And I'm one of the least self-conscious people - I laugh just like a did before, mouth wide, mouthful of metal visible for all to see. I haven't really noticed anyone staring at my braces. Heck, our piano player at church (whom I sit next while playing at Mass) didn't even notice I had them until two weeks after the fact when our director asked how they were doing.

I've taken the attitude that I have to get this done, it's needed to be done for a long time, so I have no problems with what I'll be going through to get to the end result - my teeth looking the best they ever have in my life.
TracyJean

AVFC_UK

I decided to go for it guys, but...........

#21 Post by AVFC_UK »