Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JumpTheDitch

#16 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Wow Chris, good luck with the dreaded E-tools!

Powerchain as well sounds a bit harsh! I got my first powerchain last week. I'm still trying to figure out if it's the powerchain that's made my teeth so sore or the new metal rods my ortho calls archwires (they're kinda thick, they're twice as wide as they are thick, and they fill up the whole space in each bracket! :soremouth: They almost didn't fit in the archwire hole :shock: ). I know elastics will be part of my treatment, I just don't know when...

Good luck with your elastics, hang in there!

fins

#17 Post by fins »

I have 1/4 inch elastics. It must be throwing my bite off at night cause today I woke up with a sore jaw on one side. Can't wait till my bite is finally corrected.

Chris

#18 Post by Chris »

You know what I find is that my bite is PERFECT in the morning, but as the day progresses its worse, with my back teeth not touching any longer. I can't figure that one out.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

BraceMD

#19 Post by BraceMD »

Has anyone ever had an elastic from top canine to "way in the back" bottom molar?
Oh yes. I've had that on both sides for over a week... very painful. It feels like the bottom back molars are twisting out, though the elastics are supposed to be correcting my overbite. I really hope the overbite gets fixed quickly- these elastics are by far the worst thing I've had with my braces in a year.

I did have an elastic from the inside top molar, to the outside bottom molar, for three months. I constantly bit through them... but I'd gladly go back to that, from these torturous things. :evil:
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Permanant bonded retainer on bottom, bite positioner, and Hawley retainer at night...

Click www to see pics!

Chris

#20 Post by Chris »

Has anyone ever had an elastic from top canine to "way in the back" bottom molar?
Oh yes. I've had that on both sides for over a week... very painful. It feels like the bottom back molars are twisting out, though the elastics are supposed to be correcting my overbite. I really hope the overbite gets fixed quickly- these elastics are by far the worst thing I've had with my braces in a year.

I did have an elastic from the inside top molar, to the outside bottom molar, for three months. I constantly bit through them... but I'd gladly go back to that, from these torturous things. :evil:
Mine on that side doesn't feel as much tension. I wonder how it will work moving the canine back towards the premolar. Normally they put the elastic on the 1st molar at the bottom, but since thats missing on me, they had to use the last molar. Seems like quite a stretch to really work.

I'm using 1/4" elastic, what did you use?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

BraceMD

#21 Post by BraceMD »

I'm using 1/4" elastic, what did you use?
I'm using 1/4" elastic, as well. I made the mistake of accidentally using my 5/16" "HEAVY" elastics that I had been using for the inside-outside configuration... PAIN! Although, the thought has crossed my mind that using the heavier ones might make my teeth move faster, so the teeth move quicker... maybe? I'm going to ask the ortho next time.
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Permanant bonded retainer on bottom, bite positioner, and Hawley retainer at night...

Click www to see pics!

Chris

#22 Post by Chris »

Thats strange, I started out with the 5/16" (heavy) and was told to go on with the 1/4" (heavy) if I could tolerate it. The 1/4" are smaller hence I figured more "torque". At first the tension and pulling sensation was miserable, but in just a few days, I didn't notice them as much so I went on to the 1/4". Did the ortho say which one was better for you?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

mia_cro

#23 Post by mia_cro »

I have a medium pull ones,6.4mm or 1/4 inch ones.
Just got them yesterday along with the powerchains.Aaauuchhh..
Is it OK to wear them just during the night? I really can't stand the pain and discomfort..... They go from top canine to the bottom back molar!!!!
I cannot believe how that tiny little rubber can strech all the way back...
My upper jaw hurts like hell,I guess with a major overjet (12 mm) that's the way it's should be.... :cry:

My orho gave me a bag of it saying I should change it every 2-3 days, when I feel that they got loose...
How long are we supoosed to wear this? 2,3 months???

Paparazzi

#24 Post by Paparazzi »

Chris believe me I know what you are going through. The last two months before I got my braces off my ortho wanted "go for the kill". So he had me wear Heavy finishing elastics 24/7 for 2 months. I basically couldn't speak from May till July of 04. Wonder if I still have the pics so you could get a better idea. Just remember your smile will be beautiful after all this pain. Best of luck.

Chris

#25 Post by Chris »

They go from top canine to the bottom back molar!!!!
My upper jaw hurts like hell,I guess with a major overjet (12 mm) that's the way it's should be.... :cry: How long are we supoosed to wear this? 2,3 months???
How come he didn't put it on the 1st molar instead of the very back?
I always thought that was the norm and that mine having it to the last molar was an unusual stretch...nice knowing someone else is having it too.

Keep wearing the elastics, it does get better. When I first posted I was in pain, not jaw pain so much but tooth pain. Now I really don't mind them at all, the pain subsided and its been 1 1/2 weeks.

If you have alot of jaw pain, tell the ortho. I was told to ease off a bit with the elastics if the pain did not subside. But I've been fortunate.

You have to wear the elastics until they do their job. :roll: I wear them all day and all night accept when I eat. Sure does curb the outside snacking (I skip the donut now when I order coffee). Funny thing is we went to a restaurant the other night and I took off my elastics and left them on the plate and forgot all about them after we left. I wonder what the bus boy thought. :lol: :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

BraceMD

#26 Post by BraceMD »

Funny thing is we went to a restaurant the other night and I took off my elastics and left them on the plate and forgot all about them after we left.
I do the same thing... except I leave them on purpose, wanting the busboys to wonder "What the hell are these little circle things?" My husband and I joke that I am spreading rubber bands all over Ohio because I leave them in restaurants EVERYWHERE. Then, we were in Europe and I left them on plates in London, Sweden, and Amsterdam. I never reuse them and change them at each meal, so I always have a fresh pair to confuse the table bussers.

I NEVER saw anyone, young or old, with braces in Europe. And I was really looking.
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Click www to see pics!

Chris

#27 Post by Chris »

Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

t3knophile

#28 Post by t3knophile »

Chris wrote:
They go from top canine to the bottom back molar!!!!
My upper jaw hurts like hell,I guess with a major overjet (12 mm) that's the way it's should be.... :cry: How long are we supoosed to wear this? 2,3 months???
I just got elastics last wednesday, and my ortho instructed me to wear them in the same configuration as you mentioned, from bottom back molar to top fron canine, but only one one side. I dont' seem to really have any pain or discomfort from wearing it. He gave me the "Fox" kind, not sure what size they are but it doesn't seem like that bad of a stretch to me. Should I be expecting them to get more snug as time goes by?
Last edited by t3knophile on Mon May 15, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris

#29 Post by Chris »

Wow, you got both my quotes in there. At first I thought I was reading your comments. :lol:

The bag of elastics has the size on them. Mine is 1/4" heavy. Actually, all my pain has subsided and the stretch doesn't even feel like anything. The other side is from 1st molar upper to lower canine and that feels more of a pull. Since I don't have the 1st molar on the other side they had to use the last molar but I can't imagine how that will tilt my canine back as it should be. Time will tell.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

t3knophile

#30 Post by t3knophile »

You were right, it says on the bag. They are 1/4" 3-1/2oz from ORMCO Z-pak. Does anyone else have these?

(thanks for the comments on the quote, i've edited my previous reply)